Blown engine

b-bry

miles on the sled,maintenance that was done/not done,the other 4 fill up the same place??Pretty hard for dirt to get through a filter unless it failed.Water would make more sense giving the temps on the weekend.But dirt at the carb,,,,that is not good,,,and why only at one,why not the other,it was checked also right???A lot can be determined from the damage,,,,did you take pics?

We only pulled the bottom off the one carb, saw dirt down around the plug, both will get cleaned. Both pistons suffered some damage, apparently one more than the other (one cylinder needs to be honed). Keep in mind this was a friend's sled. He bought it used through a dealer. The dirt could have been from anywhere. Most of the gas we've bought in the Parry Sound area comes from the Esso at the Seguin Trail & 400, occasional fill-ups wherever we find ourselves on the trails.

We took no pics.

If there's dirt in the gas tank, how would we clean that out?

Gas was not the issue the way that engine left the factory jetted it will tolorate regular with 10 % ethonol . If it needs two pistons both cylinders need honing or the rings will not seat well . As for emptying the tank do not do what one customer of mine did ! He tried using a shopvac , blew himself through the garage door :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

STG...interesting you ask about a 500ss...my wifes 04 sled 500ss sled only has 2000 miles....on the lake burned a piston..carbs where cleaned, we drained the gastank...no water..in the fall check the boots on the carbs where breaking down so they where replaced...

Something else we should look at? Any ideas would be great

Writetwisted had some cracked carb boots a few years ago. Good thing to check!

I had delamination of the carb boots on my first 500ss after two seasons.

I had delamination of the throttle body boots after two seasons on my 600sdi.

I hear a lot about BRP boots failing. Check them every year.

I had an '05 500ss and can't say enough good about it. Got an '08 and it lasted 300 miles. BRP adjusted the jetting to get a little extra out of it and created a lean spot. Most usually occurred dropping from high revs momentarily and then returning to high revs. For instance, running the lake, letting off the trottle to mid-range to take a turn in the stake line and then back to heavy throttle leaving the turn. Pop ! So many popped they couldn't keep up with the parts. But your wife's is an '04 so wouldn't apply.

Vigorously clean the carbs, keep clean gas and check the boots.

Buying a sled used you have no idea how the previous owner stored it. I made the mistake many years ago buying a sled that I found out the hard way was never properly stored, the cylinders were pitted and blew a piston first weekend I had it. Caveat Emptor I guess.

<snip> - along with the fact he was using cheapie fuel in it. <snip>

Question though...do these newer engines have some kind of feature that completely shuts them down when this happens? The other cylinder was still mint but it would not fire. When the problem occurred it was as if he hit the kill switch...just coasted to a stop.

What do you consider "cheapie" fuel?

Your description of it coasting to a stop is exactly what happened in this case.

Well, apparently his sled tested at 150psi for compression (according to previous owner - who is family). That's premium fuel territory - and he wasn't putting premium in. Also, don't know if I mentioned it or not, but his oil line has rubbed through in the past, could have contributed to the failure. It only occurred in one cylinder, however. Other one was still mint.

I'm still curious about the thing shutting down if one cylinder was still good though...anyone have some insight on that?

As for emptying the tank do not do what one customer of mine did ! He tried using a shopvac , blew himself through the garage door :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

And right now, there's someone reading this and thinking, "I wonder why that would happen..." :?

As for emptying the tank do not do what one customer of mine did ! He tried using a shopvac , blew himself through the garage door :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

And right now, there's someone reading this and thinking, "I wonder why that would happen..." :?

And Mythbusters did a segment on that and said it couldn't happen. So much for Mythbusters :rotflmao:

And Mythbusters did a segment on that and said it couldn't happen. So much for Mythbusters :rotflmao:

No kidding? How could it NOT blow up? Gasoline vapour + sparking from the motor brushes = KABOOOOM !!!!!!!

That's akin to using a lighter to see how much gas is left in the tank.

No kidding? How could it NOT blow up? Gasoline vapour + sparking from the motor brushes = KABOOOOM !!!!!!!

That's akin to using a lighter to see how much gas is left in the tank.

I think their test was in an area with more ventilation and not enough concentration of fumes. When that didn't work, they actually poured gas over the brushes. I was surprised but I am NOT going to try this at home.

Anyone else blow an engine lately? I burned a piston in a friend's sled on Sunday. Took it across the lake and wanted to see how fast it would go (my friend had not opened it up yet - he bought it gently-used and was still getting accustomed to riding it). Went less than a mile - just accelerating to 70 mph when the engine just plain quit. I'm wondering what can cause such a thing. The carb jet on the affected cylinder was not blocked, no sign of water in the float bowl. The fuel filter appears clean, but maybe there's some "varnish" in there limiting fuel flow.

Since then I learned from one mechanic that he had 5 other engines come in blown on the weekend. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the ethanol in the gas.

Its the Lake! Wide open = bad news for engines.

Friday Feb.12th (yesterday) I wrote my engine off 2009 MXZ 500SS with 1,800kms. It is in the shop as I type.

New Piston clutch side and a new crank.

I got it on Video as we were shooting a promotional film for Spectacle Lake Lodge. I am going to put it up on YouTube when I get around to it - Let me know if it looks/sounds like what happend to yours.

If you are looking for a good place to get the repair done - Kennisis Marina/HSR in Haliburton. Parts in stock, wayy less expensive then I thought.

Safe ride.

Archived