Northern Conditions

Renegaderider

Sort of the old, "Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies". If there are no specifics, there is nothing to be misinterpreted. Sad world we live in, isn't it.

Sad, indeed...presumably similar to the logic behind the disappearance of the vast majority of arrow (turn) signs from OFSC trails, as part of the "risk management" strategy arising from liability insurance costs.

As I understand it, that was driven by the need to protect the OFSC from liability claims (i.e. arising from stupid lawsuits) due to the fact that, unlike the Provincial highway system, not EVERY corner on OFSC-sanctioned trails was marked with an arrow, although many were...thus a rider going too fast for conditions who blows an unmarked corner and cracks his machine up (or worse, gets badly hurt) tries to claim club negligence because that particular corner wasn't marked. The questionable legal logic then becomes -- either sign all the turns or don't sign any of them.

Thus we now have a trail system which is chock full of "Slow" signs, and "Use at Own Risk" signs, but has relatively few turn arrows (compared to some years ago), all for the understandable (and essential) reason of limiting liability...because the legal system can't seem to differentiate between a fully-engineered highway system built to rigid design standards, and a widely-varying recreational trail system through vast expanses of wilderness, which has had virtually NO engineering.

Nonetheless, this still defies simple logic to some degree -- make the trail system "safer" by installing almost no warning signs about upcoming turns. IMHO, those turn arrows also fall into the category of some further "good information disappearing" which STG referred to above.

OK, I'm done now...sorry for the hi-jack. :soapbox::-D

Ok,I've got a story here, I'm not going to use names or anything, and I am sure there are members here who know who I am talking about. This deal here, really opened my eyes.

A couple years ago, a snowmobile struck a groomer, the rider passed away due to injuries. He left a wife, 3 kids and many family members. He held mortgage's, loans and life insurance. At the end of all this some paid,some didn't because of various reasons. His wife still snowmobiles. Now there is a lawsuit against the ofsc. I was furious, I said this isn't right, she is still riding and she sues the ofsc? Well that is not the case, the lawsuit was put in motion by insurance company's that paid money out on policy's and the like. It's not the wife suing the ofsc. This is the kind of thing that happens, we hear that there is a law suit because of such and such, but it is not always as it seams. So just because you have insurance, and you get paid, that doesn't mean your insurance company isn't going to go after somebody to get their money back.

This really took me by surprise, I guess the insurance companies don't generate enough income from policy holders to pay out the debts they generate. I really don't believe my last statement by the way. I believe all this lawsuit crap by insurance companies is driven by corporate greed.

I am sure there are some idiots out there that go after the federation for compensation, even though it is their own stupid fault they got hurt.

I told my family, if I die out there, they better not go after anybody. If I get taken out by 1 of these so called throttle jockey's, I'll haunt the s.o.b., and they'll wish they where dead. And as for my insurance company suing to get their money back, how do you stop them???

What the hell ever happened to Common Sense?? !

You dropped the coffee on your own lap - why in God's name would you expect to find someone else at fault??

Dude, didn't anybody tell ya, it is now called UNCOMMON sense :whatever:

The A108 is OPEN in very good condition for snow cover from Englehart north to A-Trail intersection a Bourks just south of Butler lake Truck stop witch is(CLOSED FOR SEASON).JB

The A108 is OPEN in very good condition for snow cover from Englehart north to A-Trail intersection a Bourks just south of Butler lake Truck stop witch is(CLOSED FOR SEASON).JB

JB, thanks for the update. The 2/3s of the info for the trail was OPEN, just didn't know about the "in between".

Personally I would rather that they got rid of more signs.

I guess if your in more urban settings - no biggie? But when I am "out in the bush" - I want a REMOTE setting! I hate seeing all the signs for slow and turn and for a burger joint 100 klicks ahead.

Now - when I git 95 klicks ahead and comming into a town that I may not know - put the signs up! And preferably a sign showing a map around the town! Good grief - the lifetime we spent one night trying to find our motel in Geraldton! Or even the bypass around Manitouwadge?

None the less, put up a few signs to let me know that I am on the right track to which town and how many klicks it is (if the Yank's kant convert, forget'm :whatever: ) to go yet. Distance prolly aint near the issue with all the newer sleds as it has been tho. (gas)

Thanks....any idea what "A" is like from there into Cochrane?

The A-Trail north to Cochrane is in very good condition.Being involved in many law suit's in my district the sign program we now have is uniform accross the provice witch makes it better to defend in court. When we had the old signage guide less than 50% of club's could meet the requirments. If you see a SLOW that means you can not make corner or hill at 50 km if theres no slow you should presume that you can ride the trail at 50 km very simple system.

Thanks....any idea what "A" is like from there into Cochrane?

The A-Trail north to Cochrane is in very good condition.Being involved in many law suit's in my district the sign program we now have is uniform accross the provice witch makes it better to defend in court. When we had the old signage guide less than 50% of club's could meet the requirments. If you see a SLOW that means you can not make corner or hill at 50 km if theres no slow you should presume that you can ride the trail at 50 km very simple system.

That's exactly how it works everyone... If you see a "slow" sign back it down, something's coming so be safe!!!! :|

Archived