Port Severn Bridge

Canuck

I came across an article about the Port Severn Bridge. A taxpayer was complaining about the cost being $1,700,000.00.

Apparently the addition of a pedestrian bridge and a snowmobile portion have caused the budget to increase by over $500,000.00. Negative comments were made about the need for a snowmobile portion (seasonal use, etc.) Those of you in that community may know more.

The reason I'm posting is:

a) Some are questioning the need for a 'snowmobile' portion. The escalating costs appear to be a 'big picture' problem. It's easy to focus on one part of the project, and question it's usefullness.. but the snowmobile section was not why this project's cost went into the stratosphere.

B) Keep an eye on municipal spending. Find local ratepayer group websites to stay current with developments in your area. We went through amalagamation in Toronto, and one councillor laments that they no longer discuss $10,000 allocations. I guess that is now done at the 'staff' level.

c) To thank those who have assisted in the Seguin bridge rebuild. I believe volunteers assisted in that area, and I presume it was done for considerably less than Port Severn.

Well at least the bridge will be used for something. Different groups have different uses.

In Cambridge, our council is spending 1.8 million for a glass walkway from their new over priced city hall to the old council chambers next door, just so they can waddle their fat butts over without going outside. boo hoo hoo

It is a well constructed bridge but I also believe that the exspense lie in the design, its also being used as a damn/diversionary channel for the Trent Severn waterway. I crossed it 2 weeks ago and it leaves lot's of room for sled traffic, groomers, and pedestrians. Most of Port Severn is gonna be torn down and rebuilt as a tourist town just watch. Rawley Lodge being rebuilt wassthe start of it , the remaining businesses and homes are being sold for development. Thats why the bridge was done now instead of later. Unfortunately its the locals their now that are getting hit with the price tag/Taxes. Anybody want to buy a marina for $1.5 on the Trent?

Yukon

I came across an article about the Port Severn Bridge. A taxpayer was complaining about the cost being $1,700,000.00.

Apparently the addition of a pedestrian bridge and a snowmobile portion have caused the budget to increase by over $500,000.00. Negative comments were made about the need for a snowmobile portion (seasonal use, etc.) Those of you in that community may know more.

The reason I'm posting is:

a) Some are questioning the need for a 'snowmobile' portion. The escalating costs appear to be a 'big picture' problem. It's easy to focus on one part of the project, and question it's usefullness.. but the snowmobile section was not why this project's cost went into the stratosphere.

B) Keep an eye on municipal spending. Find local ratepayer group websites to stay current with developments in your area. We went through amalagamation in Toronto, and one councillor laments that they no longer discuss $10,000 allocations. I guess that is now done at the 'staff' level.

c) To thank those who have assisted in the Seguin bridge rebuild. I believe volunteers assisted in that area, and I presume it was done for considerably less than Port Severn.

Keep up the good fight to make sure that the snowmobile portion is included the same people who whine about this will bitch like hell about sleds on the sidewalk or roads

Sledders are what keeps that town alive in the winter. The general store does'nt do very well in the off season when nothings happening, and Severn township people as a whole are for the most part Pro-snowmobile. Lots of trail passes bought by the locals , and alot Volunteer aswell. This is also Top c-trail that passes over the bridge.

Sledders are what keeps that town alive in the winter. The general store does'nt do very well in the off season when nothings happening, and Severn township people as a whole are for the most part Pro-snowmobile. Lots of trail passes bought by the locals , and alot Volunteer aswell. This is also Top c-trail that passes over the bridge.

Don't ever take it for granted let your council know in a letter that starts in "Dear Mayor and council" that they listen to as it then appears on thier council agenda.

Don't ever take it for granted let your council know in a letter that starts in "Dear Mayor and council" that they listen to as it then appears on thier council agenda.

I hear yeah .

Archived