A Snowmobile Story From 22 Years Ago Today,,,,

cehyoopers

My linkhttp://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/1987news.htm Rember the summer olympics,,,,in the fall,,,,how we cheered for Ben Johnson,,, My linkhttp://www.geneseo.edu/~phillips/Classof88/timeline.html

Well exactly 22 years ago today we set off for a ride from our cottage on Maple lake to a friends house on Canal road Huntsville.We left on saturday May 23rd 1988.There was 4 sleds and 5 people,I was 2-up.We left later in the afternoon,,,,and it was warm.Maple,Beech,Boskung and Kushog were all great running,as well as St Nora and Raven,the trail into Dorset was awesome.We rolled into tower hill marine around 7 pm,,,,one guy had left his truck there,,,so we dropped him and my passenger off and they 4-wheeled it over to Canal road.Now as we were riding,,,over the sounds of our loud 2-stroke engines,,we heard thunder,,,big thunder,and seen lightning from time to time.Not wanting to take Lake of Bays,,,as it was a bit slushy,we headed north to the trail system.We were about half way to the house and the sky' opened up on us,,,big time.We got to the house a couple hours laters,looking like rats,almost drowned,rain like it only does in the heat of the summer.We had lots of snow on the ground,tons,no worries right?Well the rum came out,the sleds keys hung up and we had a good laugh about our ride,,,,there was no weather forcast back then like today,so we had no idea the extend of the rain.No internet to speak of,cell phones for luxury items,,,,simple times,,,lol.

When we awoke the next morning,,,to our amazement,,,the snow was gone.Now I do not mean gone like,some here,some there,some ice,,,,I mean gone.No snow left,,,,ground bare,grass showing,gone,notta,gone.Well there we were,a long way from Maple lake,,,,with only a sled.My friends asked,what now,I said breakfast,,,so we ate.Then he said what next,,,,I said,ummmmm,football,,,,,which brings us to the focus of the story,lmao,

There was 2 nfl games on,just like today,,,,we watched the first one,,,it was a good game,,,had a few cocktails,,,,,then asked what next.I said there is a second game!!!!!By the end of the first game,the temp had fallen and it had begun to snow,,,,,,,light at first,,,,at the start of the second game it was coming down pretty good.He asked again,what now,,,I said,dinner and we stop drinking,cause I am riding home tonight.He laughed his ass off,but we did quit drinking.By the end of the second game it was near blizzard conditions.We started making a plan,,,he would ride back to Maple lake with us,the other 2 guys would go as for as Baysville and turn around.The next problem was fuel,,,all of us got no better then 100 miles to a tank on hard packed trails,,,in powder forget it,we needed fuel.The guy at the service station always told us if he was closed,knock on the door and he would open for us,,,we rode a lot there back in the day.So we set off,hoping he would be good to his work.

We calculated that 17 inches of snow had fallen and still coming hard.We took Browns road over to Brunel Road and drove straight into Baysville,we had to take turns leading as the headlights for quick to fill up,making visibility near impossible.We knocked on the door and true to his work he opened up and filled us,,,,,

We seperated there,bid our farewells,2 on to Maple Lake and 2 back to Canal road.We left Baysville and got on the trail,he was harder now with only 2 sleds to switch,and me being 2-up made it more of a challenge.We got so Kushog corners and stopped,,,walked out onto 35 Highway,kicked the snow around,looked at each other and nodded.Off we went,right down the centre of the southbound lane,enough snow that we were able to plane all the way down to North shore road,,,,took North shore road to Maple,the snow was way lighter there,so we were able to run Maple lake to the cottage.He spent the night there and when we got up it was like 25 below,,,,,I rode with him to Dorset,and we had lunch at the valley,,bid our farewell,he set out across Lake of Bay and me the trail,,,,,,,,

morrow of the story,,,when I say it is a long post believe me,,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

My daughter asked one day,"what is snowmobiling about?",we were sitting with 10 friends after a day ride,having a drink and relaxing.I said look around,this is what it is about,,,and rides like I just posted,,,,,happy sledding,,,winter is returning,,,it always does....

Now go watch some football,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I remember that what day ! We were at the time Canada's largest cat dealer (as I remember you bought 3 sleds off of us that year) and wow where we depressed and then wow ! back in business yahoo .

Hey, WB...I'm curious -- where was your dealership in those days, and what was it called?

Great story, cehyoopers. Wish we could look forward to 17" of new snow after this current rain event. :banghead:

I remember that what day ! We were at the time Canada's largest cat dealer (as I remember you bought 3 sleds off of us that year) and wow where we depressed and then wow ! back in business yahoo .

Hey, WB...I'm curious -- where was your dealership in those days, and what was it called?

Great story, cehyoopers. Wish we could look forward to 17" of new snow after this current rain event. :banghead:

kushog lake marina

actually it was 4 that year,but who was counting,,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

ok I remember the Kawasaki ,the Cougar that ate the rock and the el tigre 5000 , are you counting booking the el tigre 6000?

Awesome story.

Hope to have some like that one day myself.

ok I remember the Kawasaki ,the Cougar that ate the rock and the el tigre 5000 , are you counting booking the el tigre 6000?

of course I am,I went to the factory that fall to check on the progress,,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

also checked on the competition down the road,,,, :shock:

Did not think you were that old Bill, :coffeespit:

Only 46 been doing this since I was 14

Only 46 been doing this since I was 14

And riding since 7 (1970)

Haha awesome post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading that! I'll try out this new rating system and give you one of these add.png... whatever they mean, haha.

thank-you for the responses,,,,,funny I remembered all that,but would have to search the internet to see who went to the superbowl that year,lol.

The rain was the best thing that could happen to Lake Simcoe,,,it will be bullet proof next week,as all lakes will be, :right_on::right_on: let the fun begin,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great story.

It was made even better because I pretty well grew up in Haliburton. Still own on Hall's and Boshkung and just sold one on Maple Lake. A beautiful area and a great place to sled from or to. Funny how moments in life seem to stick in our minds where you remember every detail...

Archived