OC Ride for Kelly & Austin and PSSD Issue

maple

For those participating in the OC Ride for Kelly & Austin this weekend, just wanted to let you know that we're in discussions with many people right now trying to figure out how the weekend will work. Please bear with us .. we will keep you updated.

Also wanted to add, that either way, if we have to trailer 1/2 hour away to ride, we will ride one way or another!

REMINDER

Please have your sled full of gas, oil and such before the ride. Make sure you have a OFSC trail pass affixed to your sled and the proper documents ownership, insurance and such!!

Lets keep our fingers crossed!!! :P

:twisted:

Also wanted to add, that either way, if we have to trailer 1/2 hour away to ride, we will ride one way or another!

REMINDER

Please have your sled full of gas, oil and such before the ride. Make sure you have a OFSC trail pass affixed to your sled and the proper documents ownership, insurance and such!!

Lets keep our fingers crossed!!! :P

:twisted:

Thanks, Evil.

We will do our best to ride this weekend regardless.

Three more sleeps!

Update: A representative from the OFSC has just returned my calls. He tells me that the OFSC had no knowledge of this closure until this morning when they saw it on their own website. I asked him if there was anything that the OFSC could do to intervene and he said NO...it was at the PSSD level that they decided to close the trails and the OFSC has no jurisdiction over whether a club or district decides to open and close trails. NOBODY from the PSSD has contacted the OFSC today....and he has been trying to get through to somebody at the PSSD. He has asked what he can do to help........He also confirmed that if you ride on closed trails - you are tresspassing and you are not covered under liability. He also advised me that it is a CLUB decision on whether or not they will groom the trails and open them. If anybody out there knows anybody that is with any of these clubs......CALL THEM!

I have spoken to the President of the South Seguin SC - Todd Hrycyna and he informs me it was a District decision to close. I have also called the PSSD office in Parry Sound and am being juggled around through cyberspace and voicemail. Apparently, I am not the only one that can not get through....the OFSC has also been leaving messages and trying to call them all day as well.....no one is returning calls.

The OFSC also told me to tell all who are interested in getting this problem resolved to contact the PSSD and the local clubs that are under their jurisdiction to resolve this problem. It is only at the District Level that something can be done ....according to the OFSC. It is the clubs that own the groomers and the groomers work for the clubs........sounds like a BIG CATCH 22 if you ask me!

It is the clubs that take most of the $$$ from our trail passes to maintain those trails - I think that PSSD had better have a pretty good explanation as to why they have done what they have done. Even if the clubs were to list the trails as OPEN (but not groomed) we would be able to ride the trails -bumpy mind you - but that would be the sledders choice - maybe we could at least put pressure on the clubs to list them as such until this issue is resolved. Just an idea.

Ok, I am shaking right now as I write this. I am really upset.

I spoke to Mike Farr at the OFSC.

This is the info that he gave me to pass on...

He assured me that legal counsel has been retained to defend the volunteers involved.

He claims that the club was not required to close, that was their choice.

He says that they can re-open if all the clubs in the district sit down and discuss the issues.

He said that he would be happy to facilitate such a meeting and provide leadership and assistance in order to have the trails re-opened. He cannot do anything, however, unless the club asks for his help...

I have to say, hats off to the man for having the balls to take my call.

I must say that I do not believe he is fully informed on the issues and he is probably not really prepared to handle the uproar that this has caused.

I think that the club did what they had to do. Now people will be ready to listen when the PR is delivered.

I think that our support & willingness to take action in the the appropriate manner is what they really need right now.

Gotta go, hands still shaking...

(Copied from the 'Parry Sound Snowmobile District has cease operations' thread.)

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are many conversations happening with the OFSC and the District to ensure our ride takes place this weekend.

Our plan is to ride ... even if we have to trailer a bit to do so. I hope those who can join us will. Hot tub party, anyone? ;)

I have spoken with the hotel and confirmed you can change/cancel your hotel reservation up to 24 hours before check-in. They are giving us until tomorrow evening (Thursday, January 31st) to provide final numbers for dinner. If you have changed your mind about joining us for dinner, please let me know prior to 4:00pm on January 31st so we can work this out with The Quality Inn. Please bear in mind that we are on the hook for the final number we provide to them, so if you will not be at the dinner, please let me know in time.

If you have decided not to join us this weekend and have collected pledges, you can send your pledges and pledgesheet to me. I will do a 'mass' collection and provide them to The Kelly Shires Foundation on behalf of the OC Ride for Kelly & Austin. PM me if you need my address.

Thanks everyone for your support. We hope we'll see everyone this weekend!

Excellent!!! 1/2 hour is a peice of cake to ride, I have no problem with that... I sure am looking forward to the Saturday night get-together.. Please, no one give STG a microphone :crazy:

Excellent!!! 1/2 hour is a peice of cake to ride, I have no problem with that... I sure am looking forward to the Saturday night get-together.. Please, no one give STG a microphone :crazy:

I've waited over 5 years to go snowmobiling with you Rick! Another 1/2 hour isn't going to kill me!!!

We are going sledding or not! We will be there!!!

I've waited over 5 years to go snowmobiling with you Rick! Another 1/2 hour isn't going to kill me!!! We are going sledding or not! We will be there!!!

Yup. Just to be able to have a weekend with the group is worth the ride up there.. we're snowmobilers, we're use to changing or altering our plans in a split second. And we're always happy afterwards.. It's gonna be a riot.. we're leaving 8am Friday morning.. Be there just after lunch..

when is everyone else leaving?

Sounds like maybe following through with the original plans may be the best way of showing support for the clubs. Just a thought...

The clubs are the ones who shut down the trails, not the MOL or the OFSC. Ignoring that fact wouldn't really being "showing support" would it?

PS, Maple, check your PM's.

I have just posted another poll in another thread......please read and let me know your thoughts there....thanks!

Sounds like maybe following through with the original plans may be the best way of showing support for the clubs. Just a thought...

The clubs are the ones who shut down the trails, not the MOL or the OFSC. Ignoring that fact wouldn't really being "showing support" would it?

PS, Maple, check your PM's.

I suppose...

Archived