Baxter Snow Riders Pack Pack packing from the weekend .

Yukon

So a bunch of us club volunteers set out on Saturday and Sunday to pack our trails to help drive the cold into the ground and punch open the water holes to help freeze the water spots .

We started out from Port Severn on South C-trail to Coldwater , we had no expectations to get to Coldwater but we managed to break everything open to the rail bed .

There was only one area of field we didn't try to attempt which was just full of tall grass and cat tails , this area isn't swamp but the grass was holding the snow at least 2 ft above ground and we felt that we would just get buried in tall grass . The Br 180 will be able to open this section of trail once we have more cold weather and enough snow to fill in any holes and ruts .

Pics from Saturday

Port to Coldwater C-trail

Baxter club member and trail Patroller O2sled showing off his dirty Kitty after conquering a sippy hole .

Dec202009Packing001.jpg

Club member Duane and our soon to be Junior Trail Patroller Ben .

Dec202009Packing003.jpg

O2sled , Kennydoo , Duane

Dec202009Packing002.jpg

We wrapped up that section by 1pm and we had enough energy to try C-trail North to the Monument , one section that has been a thorn in our sides this year is a section of C-trail which runs off Lone Pine road , Bucky the beaver has been busy and has made three damns which has backed up the water onto the Township colonization road we use , 4 ft deep by 250 yds she was looking ugly 3 weeks ago , we've been waiting on permission to have the beaver dams removed since they are on private land , we finally got the go ahead this past weekend and is being addressed as I type this . We just can't risk sinking our groomer in that slop and having it down for repairs ( Costs money to fix and keeps the trails in limited state ) . We were able to cross this section with our sleds but not our 7000lb BR180 .

Patience is needed for this part folks !

We made as far as Six Mile Provincial Park in which we have an exclusive land use agreement with , they leave up chains to keep out the quads at the north end of the park so once we got that addressed guess who got to be the first to break trail on C-trail north ?

Dec202009Packing004.jpg

Duane

Dec202009Packing005.jpg

02sled and Kennydoo

Dec202009Packing007.jpg

After we got to the Macdonald River bridge we decided to call it a day , but not until we checked on Trail 19 .

You remember that section of trail we drained using the trash pumps back on November 21st ?

BSRVolunteersinaction009.jpg

Photo-00.jpg

Here is that exact same hole a month later to our surprise .

Dec202009Packing008.jpg

Seems to be working but , I poked the hole and its still 4ft deep of Beaver **** , it`ll hold a sled but won`t hold our groomer !

If the weather forecasted works in our favor we could possibly see the groomer heading out maybe , and I stress maybe after this weekend midweek .

We need at least a foot of that wet packing type snow , none of that Hollywood ( Fluffy snow ) and cold cold temps to tighten up what we can .

The Volunteers are working their buts off trying to get things Rocking for this season !

Be patient , the trails are coming !

If you would like to volunteer send me a email . volunteer@baxtersnowriders.com

Trails Remain Closed !

I don't mind sharing the fun we have and promoting this great sport and showing people that volunteering isn't really work at all , its fun to build trails and be a part of the process.

When I look back in February and see all the thumbs up and "your trails are awesome " comments come in.

That's when my smile becomes a grin ear to ear !

Cheers !

Thanks for putting the pics up Paul... had a great time with the guys... just wish I could have stayed for Sunday.

It was good to get out with ya Brother , really looking forward to this season and getting some seat time in with you.

Once we got passed the log North of Six Mile it was clear sailing to the Bridge. The excavtor work that's been done up that way has put us on higher ground and is gonna pay off for us by leaps and bounds.

Did you get my email in regards to Sunday ?

Hope to see you and your wife.

Thanks for putting the pics up Paul... had a great time with the guys... just wish I could have stayed for Sunday.

Packing with the guys??????????????????? :o:shock:

Get your mind out of the ditch.... Kenny and Paul managed to find the ditch themselves on Saturday....

Hijack rabbit !

It was good to get out with ya Brother , really looking forward to this season and getting some seat time in with you.

Once we got passed the log North of Six Mile it was clear sailing to the Bridge. The excavtor work that's been done up that way has put us on higher ground and is gonna pay off for us by leaps and bounds.

Did you get my email in regards to Sunday ?

Hope to see you and your wife.

He and "Lefty" will be over on Sunday............. :P

Sorry about the Hijack...........too many coffee's! ;)

Only for 7 hours. Only get a chance for a 'first ride' every so often. :P :P

Yes Paul... got the email and will be there Sunday.... this social claendar stuff has to slow down so I can get the sled out more... bought some of that Dry Clean stuff to clean the windshield and cowling... hopefully it works as well as they claim... see you Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a update from our Trails Director on where we now stand getting the trails opened .

This past week we have had about a foot of new snow. The dry, powdery kind. Each day we seem to get 1-2", but nothing big. What this means is that the groomer is now out packing down the trails. Notice I said packing and not grooming. He will also start knocking down some of the banks along the roads at the entrances and where we ride the curbs. Even though we have a good hard base, it doesn't mean we have enough to groom. A 700 lb sled doesn't have the same effect as a 7,000 lb groomer. The drag would definitely chew up any base that we have. We still need another foot or so to groom properly. It's a start for sure, but we still rely on Mother Nature to do her stuff. Believe me, those of us who live here are just as anxious as the rest of you. We won't risk damage to the trails or groomer because everyone is itching to go. Please be patient.

For upto date trail status don't forget to visit the MSR website or

Archived