2010 OFSC trail permits - new "classic" class

djszl500

i think it would be better to be able to turn away volunteers than try to recruit new ones, or force the old ones to do more than they are already doing.

wouldnt it be better to limit the number of volunteers rather than trying to scrounge up anyone to do everything?

i dont know alot about the southern clubs but, the 5 northern clubs i have helped in the last 15 years only have about 4-6 people that do EVERYTHING. and from talking to alot of them, it is forcing them to reconsider what is a volunteer and if they want to continue down this road. i know many that just plain walked away due to this.

i am not saying volunteering is not rewarding. especially after working on a trail yourself, it is very rewarding to drive down that trail after a hard days work knowing you gave back. or selling permits to make sure local small clubs can groom all winter. it is very rewarding.

but, when that volunteering becomes dictated, and mandated, it is no longer volunteering it is being drafted to do the work needed, then that volunteering is a job.

and at that point, alittle more appreciation is deserved than a thank you. we have to take care of the caretakers or we will all lose at some point, when they decide it isnt worth it anylonger. just my .02 ski

IMO I think any type of volunteer discount would just create more of the "us and them additude", and people would just demand even more for their money .... last thing I want is to be treated as an employee (service worker) by permit buyers.

Best bet is too keep encouraging people to get involved, by educating them that they as permit buyers are also stake holders in the trail system, and have the power to control it's destiny, be it a couple days each season or many days every bit helps to run the show.

On another note ...

Old sledheads post actually scares me, one classic permit request for his District at this point in time (late Sept). With all the interest this permit generated before it's inseption, and all the sled mags, websites and word of mouth about how it's finaly here, I and many others were hoping to see people beating down the door for these. Our club did gain a new volunteer from the classic permit last weekend, a young chap who will be getting his sled license this fall, and Dad has passed on an older family sled to him, he came out on Saturday and poured his heart into some bridge building.

Now if our club see's at least 70 more of these permits sold (and hopefully a few more new volunteers), we'd be set, in off setting the money lose we may stand to loose from sleds that were already buying at full pop, that now qualify for the classic permit.

• 4 weeks later...

Ont ..... 231 clubs 39,742 km of trail 305,000 reg sleds

Que .... 208 clubs 32,720 km of trail 168,699 reg sleds

NB ...... 51 clubs 7,100 km of trail 13,778 reg sleds

NS ...... 20 clubs 3,500 km of trail 7,000 reg sleds

The OFSC only publishes the number the MTO allows them to publish, and I think it would be safe to say that the Ont MTO number for reg sleds reflects all reg sleds, not annually validated sleds. But you can bet those other provinces numbers are annually validated sleds...

Not sure I understand. Ontario's number is all the sled registered since the beginning? This would included all the old sleds that are scrapped...

The Classic Permit request form only has VIN Model Year of sled. What if one changes the engine and suspension. Gets a new engine fitted and a aftermarket suspension. Still a classic because the VIN # on the tunnel says so?

I think the classic trail permits are a great idea. It is going to introduce more people to the awesome trail system out there.. Who knows maybe they will enjoy riding so much that they will upgrade there machines. Hopefully the word gets out and other start to buy permits too. I think the family discount and the volunteer discount is a good idea. Does not have to be much, but every bit helps, and hopefully more trails permit will be the outcome of it.. I think the classic was a good move.. Maybe the reason there are so many sleds registered but only a fraction buy trail permits is that all the BS going on about who should be on the trails or not. I know around here the OFSC has a bad image for the most part..Now the OFSC needs to change some attitudes so that they can concentrate on improving permit sales. EX.

. I have an uncle tha has had a camp for 30 years up the (Witman dam road) which at one time was never a part of the groomed trail system. Then the OFSC comes in and decides that this road would make a good groomed trail. No problem.. But then he and other camp owners start to get really hassled about not having trail passes, always getting stopped, getting into screaming arguements with some of these people. Sure the groomed trail is a luxury when he rides to camp. But ha should not have to go threw that kind of Bull crap, he is 70 years old drives a 1999 VK540 at about 20kms an hour, he has his dog on the back with him and he is pulling his sleigh.. He is going to camp reguardless if the trail is groomed or not !! He might consider buying a trail pass but he bullshit he has went threw has him reallt pissed off..

For the most part alot of the volunteers have piss poor attitudes. I see it alot on this website. I have seen guys on the groomed trails without trail passes and it pisses me off because you can tell they are just riding without paying. Those guys should be getting balls busted and fined. There is a difference. It's so bad up here that the campers had to form a group to stop the bullying by the snowmobile club and the OFSC .. That has a huge netagive impact on trail permit sales. Don't get me wrong it would be nice if everyone just bought a trail pass but don't harass guys just going ice fishing or to camp, you can tell which ones are abusing the system. Hopefully I can change a few attitudes around here because I will be volunteering around here again..

Archived