Double Fatal

Faceman

BRACEBRIDGE, Ont. — A distraught man is recovering at home today in Muskoka Lakes Township after watching his wife and daughter fall through thin ice on Lake Rosseau.

The accident happened on Saturday around 5:30 p.m., when the family’s utility vehicle cracked the ice and became submerged in the cold water.

The man was able to escape in time but could only watch helplessly as his wife and child, who were belted into the vehicle, were lost in the lake.

Muskoka Lakes Mayor Susan Pryke says the victims were full-time residents of the township, which has only 6,500 year-round residents but swells to a population of 40,000 in the summer months.

She says it’s a very sad day for the community.

Without knowing all of the details...I'm having a hard time with this one! :angry::angry:

How tragic. My heart goes out to the Dad; regardless of "why" they were on the ice, he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

...a few more details

http://www.torontosun.com/news/2009/03/15/8758171.html

very very sad.

BRACEBRIDGE, Ont. — Police have recovered the bodies of a mother and daughter from the cold waters of Lake Rosseau in Muskoka Lakes Township.

The discovery comes a day after they fell through thin ice while riding a utility vehicle with two others and a family dog.

The vehicle carrying 46-year-old Carolyn Bray-Robinson and her 12-year-old daughter Joeline Robinson cracked the ice on the lake and slipped underwater.

A third passenger, an 11-year-old girl who police say is a relative, was able to escape along with a dog before the vehicle submerged.

The family’s father was following behind them in another vehicle and watched helplessly as his wife and daughter were lost in the lake.

Police say he’s at home with other family trying to recover and is getting help to deal with his grief.

Muskoka Lakes Mayor Susan Pryke says the victims were full-time residents of the township, which has only 6,500 year-round residents but swells to a population of 40,000 in the summer months.

She says it’s a very sad day for the community.

Although I would think that with the weather having warmed up so much over the past week or so that the lakes would be starting to become unstable....it was stated on the news that these folks are residents of that area...I am assuming that they would have some insight as to the conditions of the ice and must have believed it was safe to cross.

Freak accidents happen all the time....they shouldn't, but they do....

I saw the family on the news last night - the older girl was talking about her little sister...so sad....

It was in a thin ice/water area around a blow up. There are lots of blow ups everywhere out there now.

I've been following this story since the news broke and it horrible. My prayers go out to the family...specially Tony the father!

I've been sledding for 20 years and I'm always apprehensive about the lakes. I have a floater suite and all but it just seems like regardless of how many people say "oh it's safe...the Ice is at least 3 feet thick..." they seem to claim lives, sleds, cars, ATV's, fishing huts etc. every year.

On Saturday, the same day as this incident, I was riding lakes in the Halibruton Forest...I had been following the temperatures up there all week and they had very cold temps, all seemed safe...even the staff were giving the verbal green light, but how do you really know??

My question is if the Robinson's were yearly residence, very familiar with the lakes in the area how could this happen? If it was this easy for it to happen to them imagine how easy it is for sledders like me who trailer to different areas exploring Ontario from year to year.

There must be away to get better ICE condition information out people who enjoy winter recreation. I don't think the OPP making statements "urging" people to stay off the ice is a strong enough message.... I think Environment Canada should take a bigger role in this and dedicate resources and help save lives each year.

Just my two cents everyone...I'm just venting a little...again my condolences go out to the Robinson family...may Carolyn and Jolene rest in peace!

I've been following this story since the news broke and it horrible. My prayers go out to the family...specially Tony the father!

I've been sledding for 20 years and I'm always apprehensive about the lakes. I have a floater suite and all but it just seems like regardless of how many people say "oh it's safe...the Ice is at least 3 feet thick..." they seem to claim lives, sleds, cars, ATV's, fishing huts etc. every year.

On Saturday, the same day as this incident, I was riding lakes in the Halibruton Forest...I had been following the temperatures up there all week and they had very cold temps, all seemed safe...even the staff were giving the verbal green light, but how do you really know??

My question is if the Robinson's were yearly residence, very familiar with the lakes in the area how could this happen? If it was this easy for it to happen to them imagine how easy it is for sledders like me who trailer to different areas exploring Ontario from year to year.

There must be away to get better ICE condition information out people who enjoy winter recreation. I don't think the OPP making statements "urging" people to stay off the ice is a strong enough message.... I think Environment Canada should take a bigger role in this and dedicate resources and help save lives each year.

Just my two cents everyone...I'm just venting a little...again my condolences go out to the Robinson family...may Carolyn and Jolene rest in peace!

I agree. We trailer all over the place, too, and I am always on "high-alert" when crossing lakes, even when they are staked, looking for anything unusual. This winter we stayed at Northridge Inn & Resort at the south end of Lake Bernard. The only way to get there by sled was to ride the length of the lake, which wasn't staked. Usually we don't venture onto unstaked lakes, however, we were assured that it was safe. I nearly choked when hubby's sled opened up the top layer of snow & ice and I was looking at water & slush. All I could think was "go go go - keep 'er pinned". I wear a floater suit but don't really want to test it.

To your comment about publishing ice conditions, I will venture a guess that a huge reason why it's not done can be summed up in one word: LIABILITY.

P.S. Lake crossing notwithstanding, the Northridge Inn is really nice and the hospitality is fantastic. http://www.northridgeinn.com :-)

Yes I can understand no one wants to be liable or accountable so I would not expect them to say the Ice is safe...but when it is clearly not safe they should let that be known very publicly.

I can't understand what you are asking for.

The OFSC says stay off the ice now at the start and end of the season.

The Police say stay off the ice now at the start and end of the season.

All public media, TV, radio and newspaper say stay off the ice at the start and end of the season.

How much more do people need.

The next step is to whack someone on the head with a 2X4 and when they get up, tell them to stay the hell off the ice.

It's a choice people make at the time. Fortunately many come back with no problems.

Unfortunately, some don't. It's tragic. But I don't see anything changing.

People continue to die needlessly.

At this scene, there were many people riding the ice on sleds and ATV's including UTV's.

Sadly, this family choose to ride onto ice that was too thin.

Ice on a lake isn't consistantly thick all the way across a lake.

There's thick, thin and no-ice spots on lakes.

The only safe thing to do, is stay off.

If you do venture onto the ice, you are gambling with your own and in cases like this, with the lives of others.

My RANT isn't directed at you btw. Only the part of commenting about people need to be told that ice is unsafe.

I feel that obligation has been met to the best capability of all people in a position to do so.

When people choose not to listen to that advice, then they must be held accountable for their poor choices.

The woman near North Bay who broke through the ice on a sled killing her partner/husband is now being charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death. Heck of a thing to have to live with. The guilt of being responsible for someone's death. Especially when drunk. But to be charged for the situation on top of that may cause a few individuals to think before they do something stupid hopefully. Some may argue that it's rubbing salt into a wound but if that situation makes someone think before they act and causes them to stay off the ice when it's early or late season, then it's worth it. Charging her won't bring the man back to life. I know. But it might prevent another death hopefully.

Jeff

The media has been misleading in reporting this case.

They did not break through thin ice but actually drove into an open water gap that had formed in the narrows. Apparently ice shifted and it was a 15m gap. It can become very difficult to differentiate between open water and glare ice.

Agreed at the end of the day safety is our own responsibility...the government can police everything we do. Although my experience with Haliburton Forest was the staff said their ICE was safe?? But of course I signed a weaver releasing them of liability should I get hurt in anyway.

In regards to the media misleading things I've heard it was a pressure crack in the form of a free floating piece of ice that could not support the weight of the vehicle. I did not hear anything about driving into open water.

Maybe we should start a string for people to post personal experiences, it sounds like there are many different ways to get in trouble on the ice were even the most experienced could get caught off guard.

I feel terrible about this and for the husband/father. I saw some family speak on CityTV and I couldn't watch it....aweful!

The sadest part is that it was completely unnecessary and totally preventable. Riding ice this time of year is dangerous...riding ice this time of year on something that has NO CHANCE of crossing even the smallest section of open water is deadly.

We rode out to our cottage out of Parry Sound on Georgian Bay and had to cross 2 or 3 pressue cracks/ice seperations. It was VERY obvious to us that the ice is getting worse and we all needed to keep our wits about us. On the way home, before loading up, my brother and I were messing around on the "Big Sound" and noticed a Yamaha Rhino looking for a spot to cross a 10ft pressure crack...litterally riding the edge of it hoping to find a solid spot to cross...it had a roof and doors!!! This guy would have no chance if he broke through. ATV/UTV's have NO place on the ice (especially ones with roofs and seatbelts!).

I honestly don't understand how this isn't perfectly clear to ALL riders of all types....ice is especiallly dangerous when the snow starts to melt!!!

It basically all comes down to common sense ~ if you don't have it, or don't use it, you are taking your life in your hands...with little or no regard for anyone else's....

I don't think it should be considered rubbing salt in one's wounds in the above noted case....certainly that woman must live with the consequences of her actions....being charged, convicted and sentenced with a crime is one of those consequences....

Oh, unless, of course she is an NHL star that killed her best friend...then she should be let off the hook and allowed to continue a lucrative and successful career making millions of dollars....

sorry....bit of a sore spot for me!!!

Oh, unless, of course she is an NHL star that killed her best friend...then she should be let off the hook and allowed to continue a lucrative and successful career making millions of dollars....

Hit a sore spot Mossy. ( Dan H was not Dan S's best friend... a roomate)...Dan S was ...I'll leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

Heatly should have been put in jail for that

Heatly should have been put in jail for that

Most other people are when they are charged with second-degree vehicular homicide, driving too fast for condition, failure to maintain a lane and speeding, along with first-degree vehicular homicide and reckless driving (which were dropped).

He missed out on jail time, big fines and deportation....ended up with 3 years probation....

Archived