parry sound ?

mooseski

heading to parry sound this weekend and looking for some info on trails, any bad area's and how are the lakes(slushy)? will be riding out of the quiality inn.

thanks

We have gotten some more snow And the trails are coming around .The Quality Inn will treat you well we just had an incrediblybusy weekend up here with every hotel room in fifty miles full as well as all the local cottages and resorts . Now the groomers are catching up .

The Quality Inn is a great spot and puts you right on the Seguin trail...which up to Sprucedale is in good shape (I've only been that far this year).

Behind the Jolly (East of Highway 400/69) going North is a little sketchier.

The best trails thus far are south of the Jolly in the Six Star area...Crane Lake and H&H are great spots (but call ahead to Crane Lake to make sure they are serving lunch). As well, the lakes in Six Star (Crane Lake/Healey/Kapigog) are all staked.

Can't comment on slush...I tend to stick to the stakes, and this year with all the rain earlier on and me not knowing the lakes all that well...tight to stakes is the safest bet.

The lakes are fine. We ran Lake Jo on Sunday and it was fine.

Dont hit the c-trail north from the quality inn unless you know it has been groomed. Seguin is fine and the trails to Mactier were in excellent shape

you wont have any issues for the vast majority of trails in the PSSD for this weekend. The only areas of skinny snow are the C trail north of 124 to c104 d and again between key river and britt but with the recent new snow that should be pretty good too.

Trails were beat up last weekend due to high traffic and fluffy snow on top of icy base which just wouldnt compress. More snow this week and things should be in fine shape for the weekend

Lakes were slippery last week with 6-8 inches of snow on top of glare ice but should be well packed by this weekend. Slush should not be an issue

you wont have any issues for the vast majority of trails in the PSSD for this weekend. The only areas of skinny snow are the C trail north of 124 to c104 d and again between key river and britt but with the recent new snow that should be pretty good too.

Trails were beat up last weekend due to high traffic and fluffy snow on top of icy base which just wouldnt compress. More snow this week and things should be in fine shape for the weekend

Lakes were slippery last week with 6-8 inches of snow on top of glare ice but should be well packed by this weekend. Slush should not be an issue

I'll second that report.

We were on the C trail (Hydro line) on Sunday & it was quite good. They had groomed it on Sat. night & with the new snow it was much better.

I am told that the 104 from C to Dunchurch has been groomed since the wkd & will be done again before this wkd. It is expected to be in good shape.

Pics from Sunday:

402 in Carling:

image002-7.jpg

Lake up by Port Loring:

Feb20OCridewkd097.jpg

604 from Dog Fish to C104D

Feb20OCridewkd069.jpg

Hey Trax I was on the 402 on Sunday as well....passed two sleds in over two hours playing on the 400 series....lots of fun with that powder.

Here are some pics from this past weekend frid-sun

Cbypass just south of 518 heading towards the jolly (thurs afternoon b4 the traffic) second tracks ;)

3307238944_91f6cfe83e.jpg

c101 Friday afternoon between c104d and 803 (first track :woot: )

3307238946_d0d659f198.jpg

Carling 402 just before lake trail to C on Sunday with 5 inches of new fluff

3307238952_c89d07a4da.jpg

Great pics!

The bypass & 101 look so good in those pics. We were on the bypas Fri night & it was pretty beat up. There must have been a fair bit of use Friday.

Xcsldr- you riding this wkd? I'll keep an eye out for ya!

xcsldr you are right about traffic 90% of the accommodation in the area is south of town and was packed from Thursday on .Rogers communications had a huge ride based out of Tapatoo that spilled over accommodation to three other hotels(Tappatoo's 60(?) rooms and cottages weren't enough :shock: ) they rode heavily on C on Friday and Saturday .The OC ride filled the Quality Inn (Jolly Roger) and even the Microtel with no trail access (they refused to contribute to the cost of building a trail) was full as well as the Ellmar and I am told the other accommodations too That's way over 200 rooms of sledders add to this the cottagers and locals and there were a pile of sleds out there . Some of the gas stations are reporting record gas sales to sledders and the restaurants were challenged to have enough wait staff and cooks on hand. It was a great boost to the local hurting economy thanks to all sledders that came. Now that the clubs have had a chance to blend the new snow and the old base the trails are holding and will hold up better.

Great pics!

The bypass & 101 look so good in those pics. We were on the bypas Fri night & it was pretty beat up. There must have been a fair bit of use Friday.

Yeah i passed the groomer on they bypass at Mcdougall road on my way to the cottage thurs aft so jumped on it right away for a short tabletop ride. They groom it every couple days but with loose snow its done in no time. Still quite a few rocks popping out....most trails in PSSD are tough to keep in good shape but the bypass especially

C101 was groomed on Friday and I passed the groomer around 4 PM when that pic was taken on his way back but the trail was killed by sat morn. From what i heard a group of 55 sledders from Crane lake came thru in late afternoon and with the loose snow it was destroyed.

Saturday was the busiest I have ever encountered in the Parry sound area over the last few seasons....Our group of 6 did about 250kms and the only smooth trail was d102c into port loring. On the way back we took the lake trail to 605 and it was a snowcross....I think we passed 50 sleds just on gords trail and well say no more.

yup ill be out this weekend but may stick to the lakes on saturday and off trail to avoid the traffic. Looks like some mild weather and wet snow on wed/thurs followed by the cold temps should make for some excellent riding this weekend.

cheers!

Great pics!

Yeah i passed the groomer on they bypass at Mcdougall road on my way to the cottage thurs aft so jumped on it right away for a short tabletop ride. They groom it every couple days but with loose snow its done in no time. Still quite a few rocks popping out....most trails in PSSD are tough to keep in good shape but the bypass especially

C101 was groomed on Friday and I passed the groomer around 4 PM when that pic was taken on his way back but the trail was killed by sat morn. From what i heard a group of 55 sledders from Crane lake came thru in late afternoon and with the loose snow it was destroyed.

Saturday was the busiest I have ever encountered in the Parry sound area over the last few seasons....Our group of 6 did about 250kms and the only smooth trail was d102c into port loring. On the way back we took the lake trail to 605 and it was a snowcross....I think we passed 50 sleds just on gords trail and well say no more.

yup ill be out this weekend but may stick to the lakes on saturday and off trail to avoid the traffic. Looks like some mild weather and wet snow on wed/thurs followed by the cold temps should make for some excellent riding this weekend.

cheers!

Oh yeah forgot about Crane Lake Resort being full with thier Nascar Canada weekend.

xcsldr you are right about traffic 90% of the accommodation in the area is south of town and was packed from Thursday on .Rogers communications had a huge ride based out of Tapatoo that spilled over accommodation to three other hotels(Tappatoo's 60(?) rooms and cottages weren't enough :shock: ) they rode heavily on C on Friday and Saturday .The OC ride filled the Quality Inn (Jolly Roger) and even the Microtel with no trail access (they refused to contribute to the cost of building a trail) was full as well as the Ellmar and I am told the other accommodations too That's way over 200 rooms of sledders add to this the cottagers and locals and there were a pile of sleds out there . Some of the gas stations are reporting record gas sales to sledders and the restaurants were challenged to have enough wait staff and cooks on hand. It was a great boost to the local hurting economy thanks to all sledders that came. Now that the clubs have had a chance to blend the new snow and the old base the trails are holding and will hold up better.

Thats great news for the local economy!. I imagine this weekend will be busy too as most trails in the south are done. The last couple of years have been much lighter than usual which has left me spoiled mainly due to the better than average conditions in the south. At the shell in Port Loring the guy couldnt believe how much gas he had sold on saturday... he said there was a consistent queue from 10AM till 3PM when I left and was still going strong...he was busy but happy!

wow, thanks for all the info. how is it to the east north east, port loring,dunchurch

thanks.

They must have been spending all those SAF fees!!

Is there a reason that C to Otter Lake is closed (not staked)? Did they ride from Tappatoo? Our cottage is on Otter is the reason I was asking.

Thanks

Is there a reason that C to Otter Lake is closed (not staked)? Did they ride from Tappatoo? Our cottage is on Otter is the reason I was asking.

Thanks

club has not done anything with it this year.

Great pics!

cheers!

Hey XC

Do you know why the C101 is always rougher south of 803 than north of 803? Is it groomed at different times or less often?

Sandy

Hey XC

Do you know why the C101 is always rougher south of 803 than north of 803? Is it groomed at different times or less often?

Sandy

Its groomed in three sections. One guy does from c104d to 803. Another guy does it from 803 to orange valley road on one day and on the other day does from the road to the seguin. So yeah its not likely that it ever is done completely in same day and thus the varying conditions.

Archived