Eganville/Golden Lake Area

revrnd

W/ the Bonnechere Cup this weekend in Eganville, I was thinking of dropping @ the Golden Sands & riding to the races on Sunday. Stay overnight, then maybe do a loop up to the B trail before hauling back to Apsley.

Anyone ridden up there in the past few days?

Drove right through the area Sunday. It was snowing and trails looked OK Golden lake was covered and tracks on it.

revrnd:

Planning on riding up there on this Thur. thru Sat. around the Mazinaw area. Where are these races your talking about? What kind of races are they and what days are they. I might be around the Calbogie/Berrys Bay area on Sat. and thats not to far from Eganville. Littler more info please.

Usually oval races on a pretty decently sized ice oval. This year there's supposed to be sno x races as well. The Eganville Sno Drifters organize it. There's a decent hill @ turn 1 where you can sit on your sled & watch. The track is on the north side of town, just east of Hwy 41 by the Ski-doo dealer.

I've been going up there since the mid 80s.

First I groom for Eganville and the trails are in realy good shape , all the clubs in the area are hard at work grooming up the trails .

As for the other question to the races the track is a 1/2 mile ice oval and we also have snow x in the infield . We race every thing from the Easten pro tour ( i.e champ sleds that would be villeneuve ,wahl bros. ect ) we are the home of the canadian vintage champianship( 74 and older, 1 cylinder sleds ) also have A.t.v.s on the ice and once again snow x .

The track and club house is on the B101a in Eganville and you can watch the races from your sled on the hill its the best seat in the house. Racing starts at 10 am both days sat Feb 28 and sun Mar 1st. Prices for Sat are $15 or weekend $25

Hot laping will start at noon friday and end around 3 weather permitting. A Channel News is doing the News live from the track friday night everyone welcome.

For more info go to our web site www. bonncherecup.ca

we are heading up on Friday. It is a lot of fun, was there last year. It is great going into the pits and looking at the vintage stuff. Takes me back to my younger days. The trails around the area are fantastic. I hope the weather holds up, they are calling for some rain on Thursday and Friday, hope they are wrong.

Spent the weekend up there and yes, things are great. Rode across Golden Lake and Round Lake, very little snow so we were slipping quite a bit. The Sands looks like an awesome place to stay!

Just got back from the area today. Did the loop from Pembroke down to Barrys Bay. 100% freshly groomed trail all the way. Coming back we took the railbed from there to Golden Lake. That was the only trail that was a bit choppy, we did meet the groomer around mid day just west of Killaloe. Took Golden Lake across and they were out there with the drag smoothing the drifts out. The trail just across from the sands is a bit bumpy with all the rocks, this is a newer trail I believe then it arrives back on the B102/101a I think and it was perfect all the way back to Pembroke/Petawawa area, 150miles round trip. Hopefully the snow will stay for a few more weeks.

the railbed from there to Golden Lake. That was the only trail that was a bit choppy

I'm not sure if its still the case, but that section is not maintained. There used to be a sign that stated it was not groomed.

The trail just across from the sands is a bit bumpy with all the rocks, this is a newer trail I believe

The operator of the Sands told us it was a new section. (landowner issues) They have not had a chance to get a dozer in and flatten out some of the sections. I thought that there were many bad blind hills and corners. Quite dangerous if you're not paying attention. I rode most of it standing up. Really made you appreciate the work that must go into getting the trails as good as they are!

We seen quite a number of deer coming through that rocky spot across from the sands. I heard that someone was looking into getting the original trail back open or as an alternative to the new one and give folks option of going down by the sleepy eyed bear restaurant. It was always one of my favourite stops. As to the railbed from Barry's Bay to Golden Lake, it had been groomed before the previous snowfall. I did not see anything about that section not being mainained, other than the big white signs stating roads beyond not maintained. Oh ya, I also seen a big trailer with some mod sleds across from Sands. Must be getting prepared for upcoming weekend. Would like to go but will be up around Gowganda then.

The railbed is mantained it just gets heavy use the boys and girls up in Bonn-Trae will have it groomed up for the weekend for sure.We all know its hard to have one groomer on all the trails at one time. As to the new route across from the sands I know its a little rough but give this club time, this is a small groupe ( of four or five people) that worked there butt's off to make sure there was a trail . It took them a lot of personal time and a lot of meetings with all party's involved to get everthing in place for this year. I know that group and they will have that section for trail in better shape for next year and you will think the trail was there for years.

Shawnj

I am the grooming coordinator for the Bonn Trae club and we maintain the section of trail from Deacon to the Btrail. This past spring we did a major reruote of the B101A north of Deacon because we had an opportunity to move the trail onto crown land and share the expense with the local ATV club. The trail will not be rerouted back to where it was under any circumstances, this is not a landowner issue, the land owner was fine with the sleds, but an Issue with the the owner of the establishment that USED to be the the home of the club and because of the shared expense. We started this process in the spring of 2008 and after months of MNR, MOE , township and county meetings we were able to get a hyhoe into the bush in october only to be told by the MNR that it was too late to install any culverts and we would have to continue next spring. We hope to start again in the spring to shape the trail remove rocks and stumps and install 7 culverts. The trail was fought EVERY step of the way by a local restaurant owner ( NOT THE SANDS) and this caused many delays and a lot of grief for our VOLUNTEER club president but thanks to his persistence we now have the trail on crown land and it WILL be up to our standards for the next season. As you can appreciate haven ridden the area this not a small task putting a trail over that mountain. The trail is rough for 3.5 kms north of Deacon and after that it is excellent. I just came back from a 5 day tour that took us to North bay, around Nipissing and back home and the best trails we ran on were right here in District 6.

bamx

I agree. It is a really nice place to ride, lot's of awsome scenery and those trails from Golden Lake back to Pembroke are alway's real nice. It is definaltly worth the 3kms of rough trail. If folks checked the ofsc conditions ahead of time like I did, then they would expect it and take their time to get through it. Like I said we just putt through it and had the opportunity to have the odd staring contest with the whitetails. I think most people understand and appreciate the work that goes into not only maintaining but blazing a new trail, especially there.

The trail just across from the sands is a bit bumpy with all the rocks, this is a newer trail I believe then it arrives back on the B102/101a

From the OFSC Trail Status page:

B102/B101A Deacon to TOP B open, rough trail for 3km on Deacon end.

Would taking SCSA-142 avoid this stretch?

I'm not sure if the 142 still exists??? If so, I don't know where it goes or comes from. I am also not looking at this year's map, it may be on there. How bout that bmax, it still there????

SCSA 142 has been closed for a few years now. The only route right now is the B101A to get north from Deacon, of the 3 or so kms there ais only about 1 km that is really bad the rest is on old trails, it is all passable if you take it slow. That trail will deteriorate real quick so we will see what this warm spell does to it. It was 10 c here this afternoon for a little while.

bmax

SCSA 142 has been closed for a few years now.

It's still on the '09 map.

Did it rain hard up in there today? It poured in Oshawa.

SCSA 142 is not supposed to be on the map, 2 years in a row I deleted it and it still keeps coming back :banghead::banghead: Ya it rained pretty hard for a couple of hours then turned to snow. I haven't been out on the trails but I'm hearing from riders that they are still decent but the open areas and roads are thin.

bmax

SCSA 142 is not supposed to be on the map, 2 years in a row I deleted it and it still keeps coming back :banghead::banghead:

I hear you. For several years I tried to convince OSM to delete some bush trails from the Atlas around Apsley that weren't club trails or groomed.

Just got back to Apsley from my Eganville trip. Unfortunately I didn't try to sled to the races yesterday. Golden Lake looked like a skating rink & I don't need to burn up a set of sliders.

This morning after breakfast I did a loop on B101A up to TOP B, then back on B102. Once you get past the reroute north of the Golden Sands, the trails were good. If they were to get some snow up there, the reroute would be much better.

Also, there isn't any gas @ the store in Deacon this winter.

The GPS track posted on

revrnd

The trail across Golden Lake has been rerouted 4 kms to the east and will stay there for now, we had a landowner change where the trail went through Hawkins property and he is snowmobiler UNFRIENDLY. There is gas available now at the Sands on Golden Lake, they put in a tank just to service sleds and ATV's.

bmax

revrnd

The trail across Golden Lake has been rerouted 4 kms to the east and will stay there for now,

bmax

Looking on the GPS map that would be around Ruby Bay. I think that's where the trail is closest to the south shore. Does that seem right?

Archived