Bracebridge

bush pilot

Most trails are or SHOULD be closed temporarily. This rain/ mild combo needs to get the #$@* out and the cold needs to settle back in. Trails should hold up but people need to stay off them until the cold temps can return and harden things up. Riding any sooner will ruin them. NO snow in the immediate several days!!! :banghead:

Most trails are or SHOULD be closed temporarily. This rain/ mild combo needs to get the #$@* out and the cold needs to settle back in. Trails should hold up but people need to stay off them until the cold temps can return and harden things up. Riding any sooner will ruin them. NO snow in the immediate several days!!! :banghead:

So if the almighty ofsc says they are open come Friday but your personal opinion says stay home I should???? C'mon local yokals.Share the wealth a little bit. I have property in the Loring area and I see first hand what goes on up there on a weekend when ofsc says closed. Everyone (locals)are out on sleds visiting friends,playing cards and what not. We are supposted to adhere to the conditions posted on the site. So when it says open I'm there and not listening to someones opinion of what they think for the sake of the trails I should do. No offence but open means open. Correct???? See ya Friday am.

Remember... forum's are not the best places for these types of debates.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I don't think either of the above noted opinions are likely to change.

It's raining, we've got time (volunteer time) and money invested in these trails, and are getting frustrated by the weather.

It will soon snow again....

Remember... forum's are not the best places for these types of debates.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I don't think either of the above noted opinions are likely to change.

It's raining, we've got time (volunteer time) and money invested in these trails, and are getting frustrated by the weather.

It will soon snow again....

Boo Yaa!

So if the almighty ofsc says they are open come Friday but your personal opinion says stay home I should???? C'mon local yokals.Share the wealth a little bit. I have property in the Loring area and I see first hand what goes on up there on a weekend when ofsc says closed. Everyone (locals)are out on sleds visiting friends,playing cards and what not. We are supposted to adhere to the conditions posted on the site. So when it says open I'm there and not listening to someones opinion of what they think for the sake of the trails I should do. No offence but open means open. Correct???? See ya Friday am.

I can't tell you what the rest of the province is doing (OFSC). I can tell you that I looked at my local clubs trails and they STATE CLOSED. Why can't people respect that? I never once stated for you to stay home. I was pretty clear when I mentioned stay off the trails until the cold returns. What is so hard about that? As for the "yokals"..... these are the people that give all sledders a bad name. I am pissed too. I start a week of vacation today and had hoped to ride every day for a week. Looks like I am in a holding pattern too. OFSC can only update what info is sent to them by the individual clubs. MOST of the time when you look at what is posted on the OFSC it does not match what the local clubs have on their websites. Hence why I seldom look at the OFSC web for my riding area. Call or look at the local clubs.

Its raining hard right now in Bracebridge and windy , by the end of the day the trails will be done , everyone needs to stay off of them until the cold weather comes back . Im going to put in some OT this week so I can play when the trails come back

MM

How's Bracebridge holding up. OFSC updated today all trails open where many in other areas went to limited. I'm planning on leaving the Windsor area Friday anyway and chance it. I ain't working all weekend and I ain't sayin home either.

Why ask if your mind is made up anyway ?

SOme good news...Algonquin club (Dwight) reporting only showers through the night! NO major downpours in their area. They state that when things freeze up and firm up, they will be good to go. Just asking peeps to stay off until that happens. Day or so.... 8-)

The Trails in Bracebridge (Muskoka Sno Bombers) are all offically closed (due to a land owner protest :umno: ) and I was talking to a volunteer yesterday and he thinks they will be closed for the rest of this season.

The Trails in Bracebridge (Muskoka Sno Bombers) are all offically closed (due to a land owner protest :umno: ) and I was talking to a volunteer yesterday and he thinks they will be closed for the rest of this season.

Based upon MSR website, all snowbombers trails are closed due to landowners, so did all the landowners get together and "gang up" on MSR at once ? Makes no sense ??? Do these landowners not understand the amount of winter revenue we bring to the region to help support the local economy ?

Based on information from the media, the Muskoka Land Owners (MLA) are upset over a tree cutting bylaw which the District of Muskoka is trying to pass. I just hope that the 2 parties can resolve this quickly but if this bylaw is passed some land owners may decided to cut the access off thru their property forever.

The riding in the Bracebridge area was alright on Friday for the most part until the signs started going up. Couldn't get to Bala,Port Sydney etc after and certain hour. Was able to ride 3or 4 hours before we were blocked everywhere. Loaded up and went to Huntsville. From Deerhurst north was good. Many sleds out thata way. Over 200mi for the two days which wasn't a total waste of time. Lakes were bare.

It should be noted that the local Clubs are working Extrememly HARD to resolve this unfortunate dispute.

My heart goes out to all involved and I hope that a resolution is around the corner.

I PERSONALLY got slapped into this mess and have the faxed press release to prove it!

Do I agree with their approach, NO I DO NOT as the gun to the head approach never works, however I do agree with their situation and their fight against this legislation.

And that folks is ALL I will EVER say about this situation.

Good luck to all and I hope it gets resolved real soon because there is a TON of business relying on the sledding community, and trust me I should know after this past weekend.

There was a similar situation in Quebec a couple of years ago. Landowners were protesting tax increases and they took it out on the snowmobiliers.

The Quebec government realized the importance of sledding to the local communities and worked with the landowners to resolve the dispute. Once that was done the passed a law that trails could not be held hostage and there were official procedures put in place before a trail can be closed by a landowner.

I wonder if the local and provincial governments realize what this dispute will do to the local economies - especially now when times are hard and fewer people will be spending money as it is.

I personally will be spending at least 1K (not bragging - just the way it is) during my short trip. I wonder how many other people from the US are changing plans if they hear of the dispute. That could add up to a lot of bucks.

There was a similar situation in Quebec a couple of years ago. Landowners were protesting tax increases and they took it out on the snowmobiliers.

The Quebec government realized the importance of sledding to the local communities and worked with the landowners to resolve the dispute. Once that was done the passed a law that trails could not be held hostage and there were official procedures put in place before a trail can be closed by a landowner.

I wonder if the local and provincial governments realize what this dispute will do to the local economies - especially now when times are hard and fewer people will be spending money as it is.

I personally will be spending at least 1K (not bragging - just the way it is) during my short trip. I wonder how many other people from the US are changing plans if they hear of the dispute. That could add up to a lot of bucks.

I know I can't do a trip for under $800 and I do 4 a year not including the weekenders and day trips. Ouch to the local business owner. Last weekend I actually wrote on a trail closed sign "you are only hurting your community $$$" Wheter that does any good or not I don't know.

the local business owners need to talk to these land owners.....it would be nice for the Provincial government to give these land owners a tax credit on propery taxes, knowing that they are keeping money in our Province (from Quebec or USA). Perhaps the OFSC should lobby the provincial government to give land owners such a tax credit.....

Just a thought but perhaps we might have a bargaining chip as well, we could always request permission from the government to create our trails across the waterfront road allowance that is built into many of these water front properties. Wonder if the trail across the front of their property would be any inconvenience. If the land owner has not purchased this piece of property it should be accessible.

Should the development of trails have more strings attached with the government participating as mentioned previously thru tax incentives. I look at how many hunt camps have opened along trails that otherwise would not be there. When the trail gets brushed over or trees blown down its the groomers and club volunteers keeping these open 1/2 the year. And don't get me started about ATV'rs, I volunteer each year, for trail clearing, yet all we do is fix damage to trails from the 4 wheel menace. Start confiscating machines riding on private property and closed trails? Ok there I vented, its always snowmobilers, who are organized, that take the heat.

Archived