Dorset to Bracebridge

crackher

I am doing the PET ride in Bracebridge on the weekend, and I have some buddies in Dorset. I have never riden that neck of the woods, but I was thinking about dropping in Dorset and riding into Bracebridge. Couple questions though

How long can I resonably expect to take?

Is there a direct route, I had a look at the trail map on the OFSC website and it does not seem to be that way?

Is this a well marked trail? I will be travelling really early in the morning, I have to be in Bracebridge by 8:30AM (what time should I leave Dorset?)

Thanks

I am doing the PET ride in Bracebridge on the weekend, and I have some buddies in Dorset. I have never riden that neck of the woods, but I was thinking about dropping in Dorset and riding into Bracebridge. Couple questions though

How long can I resonably expect to take?

Is there a direct route, I had a look at the trail map on the OFSC website and it does not seem to be that way?

Is this a well marked trail? I will be travelling really early in the morning, I have to be in Bracebridge by 8:30AM (what time should I leave Dorset?)

Thanks

around 5 AM

All depends on Lake Of Bays conditions.

Could take 1.5 hrs if the lake is good, could take 2.5 to 3 if not.

If ya run the lake to Baysville, you can take the D103B to the 41 to the 44 to D right intoto Bracebridge. 1.5 hrs if conditions are ok.

If ya can't take the lake, then its alot slower. D101B to the B or 45 to D102B to B to D103B to 41 to 44 to D into Bracebridge. 2.5 to 3 hrs depending on conditions.

If ya run the lake to Baysville, you can take the D103B to the 41 to the 44 to D right intoto Bracebridge. 1.5 hrs if conditions are ok.

If ya can't take the lake, then its alot slower. D101B to the B or 45 to D102B to B to D103B to 41 to 44 to D into Bracebridge. 2.5 to 3 hrs depending on conditions.

Is the lake well staked? If not it may not be a good place to send someone wandering at 5am in the morning.

Is the lake well staked? If not it may not be a good place to send someone wandering at 5am in the morning.

That lake is never staked from dorset to baysville............kinda tricky to find the trail as well.

That lake is never staked from dorset to baysville............kinda tricky to find the trail as well.

Sooooo not a good idea at 5am for someone that has never been on that lake ?

5AM on a lake that I don't know that is not really staked that well

On second thought perhaps I'll drive to Bracebrigde and drop there...

Thanks guys

I fail to see where I "told" anyone to take the lake.

I know the lake, I take it all the time when running G hurst to Dorset and back. It is my preferred route. I certainly did not "send" him out onto the lake route did I????????

I listed two good options for the route. Thats all, OPTIONS.

IF...NOTE IF, he was travelling to BB with one of his friends that knows the lake, I think it would be a viable option. IF, on the other hand he does not know the lake, then his choice is appropriate unless he wants to CHOOSE otherwise.

Good move. Just goes to show you that not all advice on public forums is good advice. I have always been nervous riding the south end of Lake of Bays.

I would certainly hope that anyone smart enough to use the internet would also be smart enough to choose which piece of advice to use wouldn't you?

To someone familiar with L o B, the "advice" I gave IS good.

To someone NOT familiar with L o B, the OTHER "advice" I gave IS good.

You see, by using the brain in your head and some common sense, riding ice does not have to make anyone "nervous". I have been doing it for well over 30 yrs and NEVER, EVER been swimming.

PS, hey Rabbit, I got some nice lake ice near Bala to show YOU.

not to mention that its a long run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 miles on the lake is a "LONG" run Rabbit?

Thats only 9 minutes at 90mph,13 at a slow 60mph cruise.

You must be getting old or menapausal or something :)

I just have to throw some duct tape on the underside of my rev and Ill be right over! :D

Here, punch this into your GPS and call me when ya get there

N45 00 686 W 79 34 677 :wavey:

That run south of bigwin and across takes awhile thats for sure.

Mouth of the Muskoka river to the Fiery Grill is under 15 minutes by boat Rabbit. :)

Either way Doonut I got your point and it was valid and noticeable...I would not venture on the lake at any time without some prior knowledge of the area...give the warmup, 5AM darkness, general unease, etc....I would not have taken the lake regardless...

although it would have been nice to drop the trailer at the cottage and ride into town (us southern folk, like to ride at every possible moment)

thanks again

Mouth of the Muskoka river to the Fiery Grill is under 15 minutes by boat Rabbit. :)

Yah, your Boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

As of a week ago Sunday there was only 5 inches in front of Bigwin. STAY away from Baysville if you don't know the LAKE of BAYS :o

Well said.

In fact, ice fishermen friends on Lake Simcoe are puzzled that the ice is 'thin' when you factor in the cold weather we've had (before this week :curse: )

Archived