Complete Algoma Loop

MarkAIM

Hello,

I'm looking to do the Complete Algoma Loop from January 29th until February 1st. The Algoma Trails website is informative but I thought I would ask those who may have completed this trip a few questions. Firstly, is this a good trip for experienced riders? Is this entire route well groomed typically if good snow? This is new territory for me so I want to ensure that I'm not going to run into unexpected trail closures or issues of that nature? Some distances are pretty large between towns; is there any fuel concerns? station closures? Wondering if bringing some fuel on sled is necessary or recommended?

Any hotel recommendations on route? I'm looking at starting in Elliot Lake and travelling to Searchmont on Day 1. Day 2 from Searchmont to Wawa. Day 3 from Wawa to Chapleau (some trouble finding places to stay here, any recommendations?) Day 4 from Chapleau back to Elliot Lake.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have not been up yet this year, but the info I have is. "D" trail from Spragge to Blind River is not open, nothing around Bruce Mines is open. That means you would have to go from Elliot Lake North on F to Aubrey falls to D106 South to D and into the Sault. Long day but doable if F is in good condition. The other news I heard was F is not open from Chapleau to Aubrey. I am going up from the 24th to the 29th and will post as soon as I get home. Hopefully that is not too late.

SnowmanII

There is three weeks from now 'till then. I would expect everybody to be open by then...

Right off the top of my head, for acc in Chapleau - Valentines B&B)

Hello,

I'm looking to do the Complete Algoma Loop from January 29th until February 1st. The Algoma Trails website is informative but I thought I would ask those who may have completed this trip a few questions. Firstly, is this a good trip for experienced riders? Is this entire route well groomed typically if good snow? This is new territory for me so I want to ensure that I'm not going to run into unexpected trail closures or issues of that nature? Some distances are pretty large between towns; is there any fuel concerns? station closures? Wondering if bringing some fuel on sled is necessary or recommended?

Any hotel recommendations on route? I'm looking at starting in Elliot Lake and travelling to Searchmont on Day 1. Day 2 from Searchmont to Wawa. Day 3 from Wawa to Chapleau (some trouble finding places to stay here, any recommendations?) Day 4 from Chapleau back to Elliot Lake.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Mark

Searchmont - Wabos Trails End B & B is a great place to stay.

Wawa - It's always fun to stay in one of their cabins. Good restaurant too.

Chapleau - Aux Trois Moulins or Valentines B&B.

Archived