Pembroke Spectacle Lake Day Trip

Gadgetman

Did a day trip yesterday from Pembroke to Spectacle Lake Lodge and then back thru BB and Wilno, Killaloe back up to the B trail. Thought I would try leaving the IRving via the south trail, should have stuck with the rail bed. B trail out was pretty good overall, even the road shoulder section was still smooth (unlike last year when I had to stand on most of it). 155 was great, (except the on-coming dick that figured no one else could be on the trail). 157 was also good. 

The return trip thru B102, getting thru BB is still "fun", and the Esso on the corner is now a MacEwen. The shell station leaving town was busy and bare. Interestingly, looks like the local club again has permission from the land owner East of the 150 trail, to stay on the old rail bed and not have to do the road loop. Hopefully, the word gets out to respect the slow and wildlife signs posted in that section (and all places on ITG). (The road looked pretty poor had it been used.) The snow is really thin around Killaloe, and found ourselves on bare dirt exiting town.

B101A across the lake was ok (Yellow). I had missed that the B101A north of Round Lake had gone Yellow yesterday morning. Exposed rock, and rough. Looks like not enough snow to groom. Found that the fact that some signs were B102 and some were B101A play tricks with my navigating. At the split, took the B102 North, and that trail was sweet and very enjoyable.

IF I did it again, this season, I would return along the top B trail, much of the South loop is sun exposed and certain areas are just bare.

Pem Half Loop 238KM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rode that road section twice last season. Glad that it was able to reopen this year, and hope it stays that way. Passed the chance to run it today, friends went but I got in late (or early depending how you look at it) and too whipped to go. :sad:

Good to hear that the road running has been eliminated.  @irREVerent SJ & I found it 2 winters ago when we were riding up there before our Great Big Loop Trip.