Honey Harbour & Georgian Bay

rsykes

I'm just trying to find some information as to what Georgian Bay is currently like.  Id like to ride out from HH on Saturday to Penatang.  Was wondering how the bay is with slush and if marked from Beausoleil Island into Penatang? Yes, I know, if you don't know don't go rule. But I was trying to plan my weekend ride and if anyone had any information on the area that would be a big help. I've had a few buddy's ride out that way a few weeks ago but that was also before the cold snap and all the snow we got. Thanks for all the help.

We were on Georgian Bay yesterday. The bay is staked from Beausoleil to Penetang 304 land trail. Penetang Bay itself has lots of slush. You can run it but I honestly dont know how much ice is actually there. There was about 5" of fresh snow on the bay too and a fair number of tracks but no beaten path that I could see. Better bet is to run from HH to Midland. Well packed even in the fresh snow and literally no slush.

• Like 1

Ran that section a week ago before the Tuesday storm. It was safe . Might be slushy now with the weight of new snow. 
ms

• Like 1

13 hours ago, probill said:

We were on Georgian Bay yesterday. The bay is staked from Beausoleil to Penetang 304 land trail. Penetang Bay itself has lots of slush. You can run it but I honestly dont know how much ice is actually there. There was about 5" of fresh snow on the bay too and a fair number of tracks but no beaten path that I could see. Better bet is to run from HH to Midland. Well packed even in the fresh snow and literally no slush.

Awesome - thanks for the heads up. The plan was to head for 304 and ride.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, Nickyskidoo said:

Going to try and run from Waubaushene up to Franklins, we know most of the way just asking about the break up ice from that wind storm. 

Hangdog to O'Donnell is the question... 

Any insight would help

Thanks 

Now I didn’t go that far north, but keep your head up. A few pressure cracks , bit of chop ice. We were turning up slush and it was black underneath telling me we weren’t on a lot of ice

may be different now

ms

I rode the Bay from HH to Midland yesterday to get around the crappy trails around Port Severn.    The lake was pretty smooth and knocked at least an hour off my trip vs running whooped out trails back to Midand.  

38 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I rode the Bay from HH to Midland yesterday to get around the crappy trails around Port Severn.    The lake was pretty smooth and knocked at least an hour off my trip vs running whooped out trails back to Midand.  

Those trails do tend to see a lot of traffic and get beaten up real quick. They were great early in the day. 

We had a change in plans Saturday morning as the sled traffic was nuts on the C trail heading south from Gibson lake.  We jumped out on the bay in Honey Harbour and worked our way back to McCrea Lake.  Then Rode up to Go Home Bay and made our way out onto the Bay.  Ran into a nice group of sledders that helps us in getting up to trail 21 for fuel. Trail 21 to Moon River was so nice.