Dec 31st ride report - neustadt - Kincardine - Tiverton loop

Sneaks

Went out for a 200Km last of the year, first of the season ride today with a buddy.  Started off at -30C ~9:30am but returned at 3pm to a balmy -16C :) Minimal wind fortunately though (other than self induced sled wind) ;) so despite all the cold weather warnings, it was actually quite comfortable.  Excitement of being on the sled keeps you warm.

Parked at the Neustadt Arena, and headed out towards kincardine. Topped up on gas there and had a quick McD's lunch.  Headed north to Tiverton, and then down the bruce hydro corridor, which was one of the highlights of the trip.  Smooth and flowy with excellent coverage.  Then dropped by the Hanover-Neustadt Clubhouse to pick up this years d9 map. So trail wise ran bunch of the B108 as well as soem of the queens bush tour past the H-N clubhouse. Saw couple gaggles of turkeys' and had a cessna flying in 50-100' overtop of us on their landing approach at Saugeen airport which was cool.  Probably saw 20-30 sleds  along the route.

Ran into a couple groomers along the way, so clubs are making their rounds, and setting up some really nice trails. Thanks to all!

95% of trails were well covered. A few stones poking through in some of the bush, and only a couple thin spots in one or two fields fields. But overall nothing really concerning for my riding.  Did not in fact feel early season in most of the areas actually.

One warning however is on the feeder trail near Bevie, below the Saugeen Conservation lands there was a huge mudhole.  This is in the bush between Egypt Side rd and Herd's Side road.  A group of sleds we believe did go through it just before we got there, but we stopped and decided to backtrack to bypass that part with a quick road run down Hwy 9 shoulder after chatting with couple people with local knowledge that were stopped there.

So don't let the cold scare you, there's lots of excellent trails opening up!

Happy trails and happy new year everyone!

Thank you, Sneaks!

Always enjoy reading accurate reports presented in a positive manner.

Thanks for the update as I am heading that way tomorrow.

I have just under 700KM on new sleds so far this year - basically two weekends. It is an incredible start to the year when you consider last year we waited until late January to start riding.

I ran 140 km loop yesterday and 80 km loop today from Kincardine .

enough snow but not much of a base yet as too cold.

the hydro line yesterday was really blown over - but must have been groomed last night by sneaks report today.

what a great start to the season!!!!!

If I recall correctly, your excellent reports from last year featured a few pictures from time to time? (hint) ;)Thanks for the post and the info - looking to expand my trail area horizons.

7 hours ago, slomo said:

If I recall correctly, your excellent reports from last year featured a few pictures from time to time? (hint) ;)Thanks for the post and the info - looking to expand my trail area horizons.

Yeah usually I post some pics but it was so cold and my phone wasn't initially protected enough from the cold so wouldn't turn on. :( also meant my tracking app only got our run home. But just got a few from my buddy. Notice the nasty mudhole. 

FB_IMG_1514825174075.jpg

FB_IMG_1514825170390.jpg

FB_IMG_1514825161913.jpg

FB_IMG_1514825167291.jpg

FB_IMG_1514825156198.jpg

IMG_20171231_1352246.jpg

IMG_20171231_1352482.jpg

Archived