pembroke and deep river area

jimcb1

I was a bit afraid to say, but, still need snow. Good base but still a bit rough.  I just did a short run from Petawawa up to Chalk River a couple days ago and was ok for a first little run but too little snow yet for them to do much with.  Going to trailer up a little further tomorrow for the day and check it out.  I think there is a bit more snow maybe just 45 mins further west/ north, whatever direction that is.  

I recall Akron having issues on a RAP tour last year. It was a cold, 'good' snow year last year for the most part. Thanks for the local info.

On  my way back there were 3 deer 1/4 the way across the snowmobile bridge that crosses the Petawawa river just going into town. I stopped to take a pic, but I was too slow.  They decided it was closer to run back towards me to exit the bridge.  I could of darn near reached out and grabbed one on the way by.  I did finally mange a couple pics just as they got off the trail.  

After a weekend on the trails here, I'd have to advise against that 6 hour drive; trail conditions reporting here can be somewhat optimistic, in some areas trails are shown as Green on the interactive map that should probably be Yellow.  If you don't get out Friday night or early Saturday morning, the TOP A & B will be beat to hell, with 1 to 2 foot moguls.  The clubs in the Pembroke/Petawawa area don't seem to groom weekends, we tried to get to the Bears Den in Deep River this Sunday morning for lunch but had to turn around just past the pipeline in CFB Petawawa due to the moguls.  We've heard that Craig Nicholson will be in this area Monday thru Wednesday for a "media ride", hopefully trails are groomed tonight if this is the case (kind of aggravating if they are made tabletop smooth for him while the rest of us have our molars jarred loose...).  Hopefully the situation improves when more trails open throughout Ontario...

This area seems to have more than its fair share of enforcement.  The local OPP detachment has a dedicated trails officer, plus we are also blessed with the SAVE team from down south, despite the fact the SAVE team was created to patrol areas that don't see much enforcement, we get 'em here.  Fortunately they were also here this weekend, radar gun in hand on the TOP B railbed, ensuring our chinstraps were cinched up tight.  We are also treated to vehicle enforcement by the OPP in Petawawa, stopping sleds on the TOP A railbed at the road intersections going through the town, running around and making sure we were following the 20 km/h speed limit.  When I questioned the over-enforcement to the officer, he said they were responding to a request by the District 6 office!  Wonderful...

I'd suggest looking a bit north.

I was up in Stonecliffe for the day Saturday.  Everything west of Stonecliffe was awesome, even the A-Trail, at least to Deux Riviers, as thats where we did our loop too. We then went back East of Stonecliffe to Rolphton and what a difference.  Less snow, and lots of rocks on the pipeline being turned up.  Still need so much more snow.  Also a couple of my favourite loop tours on the Missing Links Club trails have been closed due to logging it looks like, and the other is now the A - Trail due to logging operations as well.   I believe these are the 191 and the 193??     A buddy from back home trailered to Pembroke and went as far as Stonecliffe, and he said it was like that above post, moguls most of the way.  All in all, we really enjoyed our 170km tour yesterday. 

Gotta love over enforcement by the big ego S.A.V.E team who often goes around the province setting up radar on straight rail beds instead of setting up in real problem areas where some enforcement would be nice who often piss off the local officer or officers who have their own way of patrolling THEIR areas. An heres a piece of simple logical advise...... if your doing enforcement/patrolling, get a COORDINATED check point or patrolling area made up together so your not so close together or do different areas in different days!! or else you just piss off locals and sledders who just want to enjoy the trails safely in their areas and news of this actually hurts the local clubs as people wont want to trailer to an area an be constantly harassed by most big head S.A.V.E team officers! 

We've heard that Craig Nicholson will be in this area Monday thru Wednesday for a "media ride", hopefully trails are groomed tonight if this is the case (kind of aggravating if they are made tabletop smooth for him while the rest of us have our molars jarred loose...).

Great news for Craig Nicholson's tour this week!  On my way to work this Monday morning I noticed that the TOP A was freshly groomed from Petawawa up thru Deep River!

Enjoy our tabletop smooth trails Mr Nicholson!!   :puke:

Archived