take a map

sugrfoot

We rode the rail trail in Haliburton last week and came across 3 sets of folks who were going long distances WITH NO MAPS....one was gong from Ptbo to Spectacle Lake and were hooping they were heading in the right way at 2pm with over 4 hours of a ride left!! Another group came ffrom Madoc on the way to Dorset and then Timmins (not the same day) and I presume had made a wrong turn at the power line by Moose Lake so ended up in Haliburton....but they had no map and did not know the area!

Am I the crazy one? We know the trail where we ride and we NEVER go without a map.

Wigamog # 7 trail is easy just follow the trail there is not much anywhere else to go except off in the bush! And if you had a map you could see where the trail heads from to....!!!!!

Ditto re the B thru Minden..has been posted as closed all season long!

No laptop? call the club and someone can tell you the conditions...oh but if have no map you dont know the number....bettr do some checking before you leave home in the first place.

Sign theft......must be some of us who do steal the signs...I hate it too...some goof thinks it is cool to have the sign in his living room while the rest of us do our best!

STUPID STUFF>>>>>we saw a fellow on the trail last Monday with THREE kids stufffed on his sled..in the middle of nowhere too.....one in fron and 2 behind...way too many and surely not safe!

Map is a good idea even if you know where you are and where you're going - if you have mechanical problems, a lot easier to figure out where to walk to if you have one!

Although not a huge fan of Paudash, they do have HUGE maps posted at some of their major intersections in big durable poster print that will last and last. :D Makes checking out where you are going very easy.

The HCSA also is starting to post up some laminated maps and although these are great, they are not all over. I have seen just three this year. They could take a page from the people who put together the Paudash maps. The club is moving forward though.

Wigamog # 7 trail is easy just follow the trail there is not much anywhere else to go except off in the bush! And if you had a map you could see where the trail heads from to....!!!!!

The problem is that Wigamog had a sign posted out front of the lodge very close to the trail that clearly stated "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT" That is confusing when you come off the lake and are looking for a trail. It is not until you drive past this sign and up through the parking lot that you see a trail arrow. The map is not that stellar as far as accuracy either. I know the trails very well and have come across may with maps that have not been able to find the trail. It would help if the lodge moved that sign. It throws people off.

I do agree that there is no excuse for not having a map or checking the club website or calling them for a trail update prior to a ride. Even if you stop at a local gas station or vendor...they are usually pretty good with information on conditions and routes.

Just my two cents...

No laptop?

Laptop? I prefer my trail maps and conditions in handheld form. :D

trailmapsmen3.jpg

You didn't have that when we went riding a couple weeks ago (or you did but kept your toys to yourself). :rotflmao:

That's the fun of it and getting around and logging the mile's,I never carry a map and probably never will,as long as there's gogo juice in the tank i am good ,one thing is i never pass a gas station without filling up.Been lost many time's ;):lol:

Been lost many time's ;):lol:

But never lost on March 17th, I'll bet.

:lol:

Happy St. Patrick's day.

May the best day of your past

Be the worst day of your future.

Yep....I wrote the club an e mail asking for a map. Never heard from them. Last year did the same thing and got a map within a few days.

Archived