Anyone here from D 8 ? (in addition to Bonsecour post)

SlowTouringGuy

Similar to Sledjunk's question in the Bonsecour post, I'm looking at south of Springwater and west of Barrie.  Gone are the days, it seems, when a trail running on road was depicted by a dotted line or dashes (sigh).   I'm looking at a lot of trails on the map, particularly the 'club' trails, with significant sections of Very Straight lines and I'm wondering how much Road Running I'm going to encounter.  502 south of Minesing, 601/301 through Springwater, the 800's in Osprey, B111 and even B, part of Do the 8, south of Collingwood.

I'd love to hear some comments on where there is extensive road trail and the conditions of trails on the roads.

Hey Mr. Mouse!

There is a TON of snow in the fields - lots of drifting lately....and yes...those are roads that you see that are straight lines.  The were covered yesterday.....but...with this nice warm March sun...they melt fairly quick and turn into a muddy mess.  There are some trails that run along the shoulder in the ditch....so they are OK...but others are not.

When do you plan to go?

Next week, early part of the week.  It would be nice to try some of those 'club' trails but, if it's miles of road rash I'll stick to the trunk/connector/feeder trails.  The "Follow Road to Trail" for a few hundred yards is cool but at this time of year with the warm sun 5km on concession X can turn a nice day ugly pretty fast.      :-)

Just spoke with my neighbour that did that run yesterday :icon_blah:  :icon_blah:   Trails were in mint shape....some road running (depending on which trail you are using)...but not too bad..yet.  They are calling for some snow on Sunday...so...that will help with the roads.

Similar to Sledjunk's question in the Bonsecour post, I'm looking at south of Springwater and west of Barrie.  Gone are the days, it seems, when a trail running on road was depicted by a dotted line or dashes (sigh).   I'm looking at a lot of trails on the map, particularly the 'club' trails, with significant sections of Very Straight lines and I'm wondering how much Road Running I'm going to encounter.  502 south of Minesing, 601/301 through Springwater, the 800's in Osprey, B111 and even B, part of Do the 8, south of Collingwood.

I'd love to hear some comments on where there is extensive road trail and the conditions of trails on the roads.

502 south of Minesing this is the Minesing Swamp trail - not groomed well

601/301 through Springwater - no road running

B111 - ditches, shoulders & road mixed

B, part of Do the 8 - on ditches - not road

B109 - significant road

If you go north instead, there is very little road running in Sno Voyageurs (B,C,B103, B112B, 400 series), little in GBSR (C, top end 300 series), significant in Orillia (west end of B, C201) none in Orillia (B112B, C). Avoid Moonstone trail.

Good info, thanks

Just came back from a run B towards Orillia (turned around near Mt. St. Louis due to too much road riding and no snow on sides), not interested in riding that crap...so did a U turn and circled back to the 400's  - did all the 400's  :drool-1:  (these IMHO are the nicest trails in D8) and are a MUST DO...very little road...mostly Simcoe Forest trails and farm fields...they were SWEET!  Road the C down from Penetang - table top...lots of sled tracks ...no bumps.  Passed groomers twice on our ride...just did a quick 120kms.........amazing day!

The 400's are slightly north of Barrie and have that  "Cathedral of Pine Trees" feeling.

I glanced at 414 as I passed it last Sunday and it's one I'll take during March Break. I recall some beautiful elevation and trees in there on ride a few years ago.

As Giddy Up says (and I'm agreeing with her twice today, lol) - 400 series are the nicest trails in D8.

The 400's are slightly north of Barrie and have that  "Cathedral of Pine Trees" feeling.

I glanced at 414 as I passed it last Sunday and it's one I'll take during March Break. I recall some beautiful elevation and trees in there on ride a few years ago.

As Giddy Up says (and I'm agreeing with her twice today, lol) - 400 series are the nicest trails in D8.

:wavey:  Hey Canuck...you headed up this way next week?  Perhaps we could meet up for a ride?   :wavey:

It's going to get crowded in the Hot Tub !!

You wish!  :nana:  :rotflmao:

Yes - we'll be up midweek.

I'll post on the forum when I know the date(s) from Ms. Canuck. 

We did a run on the east side of cooch today.B,B104,103,207and back on B.Both the Orillia and Carden groomers have done a really good job of keeping a trail groomed off the side of the road where road running might be an issue.Very minimal and the trails were groomed early today there.

Its too bad that they didnt finish the resurfacing on the 6th at mt st louis cause that coarse dirt is sure coming up fast.That moonstone mess is only going to get worse when it warms and it is too bad cause once you are through there it gets much better.

Kerry

502 south of Minesing this is the Minesing Swamp trail - not groomed well

601/301 through Springwater - no road running

B111 - ditches, shoulders & road mixed

B, part of Do the 8 - on ditches - not road

B109 - significant road

If you go north instead, there is very little road running in Sno Voyageurs (B,C,B103, B112B, 400 series), little in GBSR (C, top end 300 series), significant in Orillia (west end of B, C201) none in Orillia (B112B, C). Avoid Moonstone trail.

Great information - much appreciated !

Love the 400 series trails in D8    :wavey:

Yes. That would be fun. Keep us posted.

Hopefully you can find accommodations that suit your sled routes.

Just came back from a run B towards Orillia (turned around near Mt. St. Louis due to too much road riding and no snow on sides), not interested in riding that crap...so did a U turn and circled back to the 400's  - did all the 400's  :drool-1:  (these IMHO are the nicest trails in D8) and are a MUST DO...very little road...mostly Simcoe Forest trails and farm fields...they were SWEET!  Road the C down from Penetang - table top...lots of sled tracks ...no bumps.  Passed groomers twice on our ride...just did a quick 120kms.........amazing day!

Hey STG you know how much we love the 204.  Well keep that in mind with the 400 series trails.  They have done a superb job with those trails also.  I totally agree with Giddy up on his post.

Archived