Trip Advisor

revrnd

Talking to my North Bay friend today about the 2 places in Iroquois Falls. He thinks the Oasis Park is closed, not sure about the motel on Nellie lake. He asked me if I checked the Trip Advisor website. I said I had seen their icon, but never used it. Have any of you travellers used it? If yes how did the ratings compare to the actual lodging? 

Talking to my North Bay friend today about the 2 places in Iroquois Falls. He thinks the Oasis Park is closed, not sure about the motel on Nellie lake. He asked me if I checked the Trip Advisor website. I said I had seen their icon, but never used it. Have any of you travellers used it? If yes how did the ratings compare to the actual lodging? 

revrnd, I've used TripAdvisor ratings for several years, and even contributed a few myself, from our travels.  From my experience, it is wise to treat any individual review which is either overly enthusiastic or overly negative, with a big grain of salt.  you can never please all of the people all of the time.  But TripAdvisor reviews are useful to determine trends...if the majority of the ratings are positive (say, from "Good" to "Excellent"), then that's a pretty good indication of a good place...and vice-versa, of course.  And the more ratings, the better...it's not much help to find only a handful of ratings of Hotel X or restaurant Y, since that sort of really small sample is not "statistically significant" as the math whizzes like to say.

He basically said the same thing throw the high & low ratings out & see how the rest look. I had seen a segment on TV about competitors posting bad things on Yelp about other companies.

• 3 weeks later...

also look at how many posts the person has made

Trip Advisor works hard to eliminate owners/agents posting false praise.  I use it a lot when planning travel anywhere in the world, and have never been mislead.

Archived