Welland Canal Parkway East Side Trail

scrummage

Has anyone ridden/heard of this trail? I met some sledders at a restaurant the other night and they told me about it. I Googled it and apparently its a multi-use trail between Allanburg and Port Colborne although they say they ride from St. Catharines . There's no local snowmobile club any more but there's an ATV club that talks about it.  :?:

being multi use and not OFSC ..fair game..

my buddy rides his dirt bike there in the summer...

AND we got some snow there ..lol

If there's enough snow you can ride there. Some of the trails get pretty rutted out from ATV's and 4X4's that are not supposed to be there, but use it anyway, especially when it's wet and causes damage. Hence the reason why we usually don't ride our dirt bikes there.....there are way better places to ride. However, like I said, if there is enough snow, yes you can run the canal from lake to lake, stop at Tims in Port Colbourne and run it back. Lots of open area to play around in. The problem is that we hardly get any snow, but we had three solid weekends last year, and one day good enough for a ghetto ride.

There has been some controversy over the trail lately. Welland hasn't renewed their lease on their section of it, and I'm not sure what the reprecussions are from it.

Copy and pasted from Niagara Timberline Rider's website

This section of the Welland Canals Parkway Trail, which is part of a network of trails, is unique in Niagara Region. It accommodates many outdoor enthusiasts on parallel but divided trails, including: equestrians, off-road motorcycles, hikers, mountain bikers, snowmobilers and cross country skiers. The East Side Canal Trail sits on a leased parcel of land on the east side of the Welland Canal.

It is exactly 100 meters wide starting at the canal edge, beginning at Hwy. 20 in Allanburg through to Ramey's Bend in Port Colborne (essentially ending at Concession Rd. #2). What we call the East Side Canal Trail is just over 20 Kms. long, but you could double that length as there there are basically 2 parallel trails in that 100 meters right of way.

There is a trail for motorized vehicles (off-road motorcycles and snowmobiles that have insurance and are licensed , green or white plates) and the other for non-motorized activities (equestrians must carry proof of liability insurance). The Single Track/Equestrian Trail generally follows the edge of the Canal southward to a staging area north of Highway 3 near Port Colborne. 

For safety reasons, all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s) and 4x4 trucks are not permitted on the trail. Any trespassers using these vehicles will be ticketed by Niagara Regional Police. 

Interesting sleds trespassing on an ATV trail I guess turn around is fair play

No. It's ATV's trespassing on sled/dirtbike trails.

• 2 weeks later...

hey ktmkirby...if we get enough snow...lets give it a ride ...

hey ktmkirby...if we get enough snow...lets give it a ride ...

Yup. Unfortunately I have to stay local this weekend, otherwise I would head South or North, so if we get the 30cms they are expecting, I might get out for a ride. Probably just farm fields in Beamsville though. I let you know.

The actual Eastside Trail starts in Allenburg on the East side, but you can run the haulage roads all the way from Lock 1.  I've never crossed the canal bridges though. Not sure what that would be like with carbides and steel grated bridges.

Count me in if we get the snow. Had a taste last week before it melted away in the afternoon.

Already talked to Kirby about a ride.

May head up to Gravenhurst to my sister's next week.

• 3 weeks later...

hope everyone in this thread is safe,,,

hope everyone in this thread is safe,,,

Ya 2 riders down on this trail over Christmas, very sad to hear....

Archived