Windsor - Grand Bend

HopsNBarley

Can anyone tell me if there is a legal trail system where I can get from Windsor (Essex County) to Grand Bend? I have a cottage in Grand Bend, I'd like to be able to take a snowmobile there and come back the next day.  Legally of course.

Thanks!

Glenn

Pick up a District-5 trail guide where you bought your permit. I'm not sure how far you have to trailer north to pick up the trail system. There are clubs with trails in the Glencoe, Strathroy and Warwick areas in that end of the province. Once you are on the OFSC trails you are good to go depending on trail conditions. There used to be a trail that goes into Grand Bend and ends by the Oakwood Inn. After that you have to road run.

Looks like you need to travel to Dutton and get on the trail there. I just looked on the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide and it does show a trail from Dutton to Grand Bend. Of course it's closed right now but Dutton access is the nearest trail from Windsor as far as I can tell. I live in the states and a few years back I crossed over in Sarnia. Staged out of Mitchell's Yamaha there in Wyoming On. Jumped on the trail across the street from the dealership, traveled by sled and stayed the night at Bayfield. I remember a saloon style bar downstairs and rooms upstairs. It was supposibly "HAUNTED". At the time my son was around 12 and he had a hard time sleeping in a roll a way bed that was in the same room the wife and I had. Really was fun!

you could drive to Dutton and unload there and head north, the trail starts off on a rail bed. There is feed mill there by OPP station which you could probably park at just ask then the trail heads north to Glencoe then west of Strathroy and up to Parkhill that would be a nice run enjoy

Looks like you need to travel to Dutton and get on the trail there. I just looked on the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide and it does show a trail from Dutton to Grand Bend. Of course it's closed right now but Dutton access is the nearest trail from Windsor as far as I can tell. I live in the states and a few years back I crossed over in Sarnia. Staged out of Mitchell's Yamaha there in Wyoming On. Jumped on the trail across the street from the dealership, traveled by sled and stayed the night at Bayfield. I remember a saloon style bar downstairs and rooms upstairs. It was supposibly "HAUNTED". At the time my son was around 12 and he had a hard time sleeping in a roll a way bed that was in the same room the wife and I had. Really was fun!

the Albion Hotel

coming from Windsor the closest trail to you would probably be Glencoe or a little further west to Wyoming. There are no trails any further south towards Windsor than that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me if it's legal to drive down the sides of the road?  So if I'm able to get close to Grand Bend, can I drive down the roads till I get to my cottage? It is about the middle of Grand Bend and Bayfield.

I looked into this last year, and if I recall correctly, according to provincial law it is NOT legal to run along major highways and their right of ways but it IS legal to run along secondary roads and their right of ways. HOWEVER local bylaws generally exist to prohibit running on SOME secondary roads and right of ways.

Being in Muskoka, I had to hunt around on the District of Muskoka's web site to eventually find documents specifying the secondary highways on which sledding was prohibited. So in my area, sledding is prohibited along Highway 11 by the province, because it is a major highway and is also prohibited along District Road 169 and most other secondary highways, because the local municipality has created their own restrictions. The upshot of this, in Muskoka at least, is you are allowed to sled along pretty well any rural road or sideroad, but not along highways.

Not sure if this was helpful, but having looked into this last winter, I am now confident running back roads and streets without worrying about breaking the law.

Don't forget: the speed limit for a sled traveling on a roadway is 20 kilometres per hour.

I would welcome corrections if I have made mistakes in the above statement.

Blake

Can someone tell me if it's legal to drive down the sides of the road? So if I'm able to get close to Grand Bend, can I drive down the roads till I get to my cottage? It is about the middle of

Grand Bend and Bayfield.

Blue water highway 21 is illegal to sled on.

Can someone tell me if it's legal to drive down the sides of the road?  So if I'm able to get close to Grand Bend, can I drive down the roads till I get to my cottage? It is about the middle of Grand Bend and Bayfield.

I assume that you are close to St. Joseph, there are allot of tracks to follow, many people ride from home to the trail, proplem is if you don't know the area, it may be hard to figure out where you are on the trail. The best way would be to ride from where you are staying and find the trail.

If you zoom in on the interactive guide, it shows the roads and their names, that might help more.

Getting into Grand Bend is no problem.  I've done it many times as its in my district and maintained by our neighboring club.  The trail comes right into the Oaks golf course and there are accommodations and a restaurant.  You can easily ride the side of the road north or south for a bit.  Although from what I've read here, it is illegal.  I never knew that and have done it again, many times.  I wouldn't want to travel too far on 21 as it and the shoulders are usually bare. I've often gone to the Colonial hotel and restaurant at the main intersection (south) and north to get gas.  

As mentioned here as well there is trail that can get you into Bayfied.  And as Wildman said zoom into small side streets and it really shouldnt be a problem to get where you want to go (St. Joseph or elsewhere).  Of course all of this is dependent on snow coverage.   Be sure to check the ofsc interactive map.  Its very useful.  

And to repeat what others have said There is no trail whatsoever that goes into Windsor.

There are plenty of good staging areas that you can look into starting from.  Our clubhouse is in St. Mary's is just one (Science Hill Drifters) and we have a large parking lot that you can safely leave truck and trailer then go inside to a heated clubhouse with club, district and Ontario maps on the wall.  Make sure to make use of our indoor washroom because you just never know, and order a burger and fries or whatever from out kitchen if you're there on weekend. We are hoping to have greeters there this winter that would be more than willing to help you with parking, unloading, route planning and tips.  Just ask around.  Our doors are always open.

Happy sledding. 

Archived