Semi-Newbie Report

GeorgianBayGuy

Everyone.

Thought I might throw a few recent experiences into the pot, especially for people who might be intimated after reading some of the epic adventures.

First and foremost thanks to everyone on this forum, it is an invaluable mine of info. 2nd thanks to Muskoka Man for his terrific guidance on my Yamaha and his experience.

In 2012 myself and other friend first did the RAP tour and somehow caught ok conditions in a marginal year. We learned alot, including range of the machines (my RS Venture GT vs. Doo 600 ACE), physical limits, what to expect in hotels and how to prep for another trip. 3 days 800 km.

This year, after considering a huge northern swing, we decided to take MM's advice and bunk into The Sportsman and use it as a base with all the loop trip options available from there. What a fantastic bit of advice. Arrived March 3rd and found ourselves in snowmobile central. The owner George was full of up-to-date advice,and fellow guests were really helpful.

Day One Sportsman to Shining Tree for fuel and lunch at Bear's Den (note fuel 3 kms to the east). 174 km each way on perfect trails, meeting only 6 or 8 others on the whole trip. Wow what terrific riding and beautiful landscape. We left Shining Tree a bit late @2:30 but still made it in good time for dinner.

Day Two. Big wide Chiniguchi loop, taking in the lookout and out to Capreol for lunch at The Roundhouse and fuel. Another fun day, stopping (but not crossing) at the trestle bridge and home via Lake Wanapiti. All in 250 km.

Day three. Sportsman to Windy Lake. From there we looped south through the bottom of Sudbury and home. The first part was good to Windy lake, but the below Sudbury route was a bit of a disappointment as there were lots of major roads to cross, traffic and not much snow. Still a fine, nearly 300km day which ended with a bunch of long perfect lake runs.

So that was it. 3 fantastic days, back in the same bed for 4 nights in a row. As another 'learning' trip I can say this was a nice step up from the RAP. We had no problems, never were tired or stressed trying to 'make it' to a set destination. Yes it was more remote, 2 of the machines needed belt replacements, but were were prepared and had x2 spares each and knew how to swap them out quickly.

If you want to have a nice place to stay, lots of options on travel....this was a good option.

Next year we are thinking of Manitoulin island and up through Spanish with the big ice crossing.....but that's 11 months away.

Good riding everyone.

Great report! Thanks!

As much as I like saddle-bagging, I must admit that I prefer to have a 'base' location and do day loops from there. I have ridden many of the trails that you have referenced and they are great trails. In particular, I love the Chiniguchi Loop and the view from Wolf Mountain.

The only suggestion I have would be to add pictures to your next report, if possible.

:right_on:

Ya , were are the pics Doug ?

I might try that trip next year. Thanks for the report and enjoy your summer.

Archived