Trail Availability Reporting

jrhz06

Remember that this is an off road sport that you choose to use the trails at your own risk. You the rider should always drive within control and as if there may be a hazard over the next hill or around the next bend . VOLUNTEERS try very hard to make this sport as enjoyable as possible however situations beyond thier control may occur be preparedfor it. YOU ARE RESPONSABLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY>

I would agree with bill. Everyone says, which I also follow, you should be riding assuming that over every hill or around every corner someone is going to be coming the other way toward you. I believe that people should be riding assuming the same thing that over every hill or around every corner there could be a washout, or a tree down, or whatever. We ride up north and rent a cottage, which has no telephone or internet, so we usually have no idea what the trail conditions are when we head out. 10 years ago we went out sledding, didn't check the internet for the trail conditions, didn't have gps and cell phones to tell us were to go, if we got lost we got out something called a paper map and figured out which way to go. Most people today probably can't even unfold a paper map let alone are able to read one or figure out how to get to were they want to go.

Earlier this year there was a bit of a washout across the trail. Flat and straight ahead trail. We saw it easily and you were able to go around it without any trouble. The club had yellow caution tape up as well. We were about 50 feet past it sitting on the side of the trail for a short break. What happens... a small group ripping down the trail standing up (should have been able to see it easier standing) are going too fast. The first hits the brakes and can't stop in time. He slides right into it as does the next sled behind him. The rest of the group were able to stop in time. The front sled did some damage to his front end as it was deep enough and the edges steep enough to bring him to a sudden stop.

Wonder who they blamed for the damage. Probably not themselves.

Steve I have no problem unfolding the paper maps! It's refolding them that's the problem;) but I do agree that they are used a whole lot less. I like using the app map but I found the location to be off on my iPhone. Since I figured out that if I find my location on the phones default maps first then switch to the app it's within "5" meters everytime.

I would agree with bill. Everyone says, which I also follow, you should be riding assuming that over every hill or around every corner someone is going to be coming the other way toward you. I believe that people should be riding assuming the same thing that over every hill or around every corner there could be a washout, or a tree down, or whatever. We ride up north and rent a cottage, which has no telephone or internet, so we usually have no idea what the trail conditions are when we head out. 10 years ago we went out sledding, didn't check the internet for the trail conditions, didn't have gps and cell phones to tell us were to go, if we got lost we got out something called a paper map and figured out which way to go. Most people today probably can't even unfold a paper map let alone are able to read one or figure out how to get to were they want to go.

SOOoooooo true. I don't travel to sled, ride local trails instead, so I know the area well. But if I were to go out of town to trail ride, you can be sure I'd have one, and a GPS.

Speed limits are there for a reason, to keep you going at a pace that you can see reasonably well ahead, and stop in time to avoid an accident. Slowing to zero from 50 km/h is pretty easy for any sled, but from 100 to zero takes about 3 times more distance. If I can't see well enough for my liking, I just slow down. Going slow will not prevent you from getting there.

SOOoooooo true. I don't travel to sled, ride local trails instead, so I know the area well. But if I were to go out of town to trail ride, you can be sure I'd have one, and a GPS.

Speed limits are there for a reason, to keep you going at a pace that you can see reasonably well ahead, and stop in time to avoid an accident. Slowing to zero from 50 km/h is pretty easy for any sled, but from 100 to zero takes about 3 times more distance. If I can't see well enough for my liking, I just slow down. Going slow will not prevent you from getting there.

The bold is so true.

Archived