RAP Tour Lodgings - Clint Eastwood Version (sorta)

revrnd

OK, here's the Good & the Ugly about the lodgings on our RAP Tour.

We got back from our RAP tour today.

Spectacle Lake Lodge was great It's been over 10 years since I stayed there last & I wasn't disappointed. The food was good and our cabin (3 bedroom #6 IIRC) was fine. Spoke to Sharon for a few minutes during our departure. The chef/server was very friendly.

Mattawa GolfNSki - Good food, nice folks Mike & Brenda. The cabin could do w/ a little TLC, but that's a very minor quibble.

Now to the Silversands - WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. Limited dinner menu (more suited as a lunch menu). We had 3 orders of fish & chips and I had a toasted western w/ fries & pizza soup (which was good).

The blonde woman (co-owner?) had the personality of a cinder block. My friend said when he called to reserve our rooms she seemed very unfriendly. OK maybe she was having a bad day. Well Thurs' must've been a very bad day as well for her. No small talk or anything. It was if the 4 of us & another sledding couple were causing her a big inconvenience by showing up.

The husband seems a bit of a dimbulb IMO. Didn't know which club was south of the Happy Wanderers (ASC I think). He didn't think we'd see any groomed trails this morning as the groomers just go north.

The restaurant was very nice looking. The rooms were nice (clean & warm) but could do w/ a hair dryer & better space for sledding gear. A clothes hanger rod in a corner 3' above a dresser doesn't leave much room for 2 jackets & bibs. If you're a sports person, no TSN or SportsNet at least in our rooms.

If Giddy Up & a few of you thought the owners of Tata Chika Pika weren't friendly, you'd think this woman was Cruella de Ville. Definitely shouldn't be in the hospitality industry.

I been taking annual sled trips for over a dozen years now & the only other places that I weren't impressed w/ were places that were long past their best before date. One being the Two Bridges Motel in Kap' which has since been sold & is now the Advantage. The 2nd being the long gone Don Lou in Kirkland Lake. Even the breaky @ the Don Lou was good & the old lad @ the place was friendly.

thx for the info...think your info on silversands might break vr700 heart...he likes it there

I saw 1 of your stickers on a map board on TOP A where it passes thru CFB Petawawa. We could here artillery over across Hwy 17 on 1 of the ranges. I think you must've ticked them off ;) .

we stayed at silversands as well. yes the lady isnt overly bubbly but i thought she was pleasant. it wasnt the nicest place we stayed but for the price i thought it was good. there was no fancy menu but after pinestone feast the night before a burger hit the spot.

pinestoneinn was excellent sledders package was well worth it. only draw back was the horribleeeeeeeeeeee trail getting to it dont think it had seen a groomer for a fair while.

mattawa golf n ski was also excellent, cabin was comfortable, food was excellent and the owners are super nice people to talk with and quite knowlegable about the trails in the area

all in all if doing the rap again i would stay in these again

Similar experience as revrnd at Silversands, although, I may not have described it as vividly. We stayed at Valois in Mattawa. Clean, if dated, rooms and good restaurant. Very friendly and accommodating hosts.

Valois in Mattawa its got units down at the river with a good view and food is the best .Gas down the street .Great place to stay.

One of the guys in our RAP tour group had stayed @ the Valois last summer on a bike trip & gave it a favourable rating.

One of the guys in our RAP tour group had stayed @ the Valois last summer on a bike trip & gave it a favourable rating.

Looks like a nice spot when I went through. Mattawa is a pain in the butt to get around, if you aren't local. I missed the river crossing and ended up going through town. Now I know how to get through, but the signage sucks. almost like they want you to go trough town.

Archived