Video Cameras do people use while riding?

FreezerBurnt

25 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of video camera do you use while sledding?

• GoPro
    • Drift
    • Contour
    • Sony HDR
    • Cell phone
    • regular digital camera
    • another brand of Video Camera

I bet 3/4 will say they have a GoPro :)

I like my Drift, I got a great deal $100, I went to buy the HD version but for $100 decide on the non HD.

I got handlebar mounts,helmet mount, goggle mount,head strap mount, and 4 velcro mounts, to mount anywhere, + it comes with remote, so I can ride and hit the remote as I ride and start and take vids on the go as well take pictures while riding, that also comes with wrist band, and love the LCD screen and playback, and can turn the lense 360 to get the level view when I mount flat on top or on the side

I will be getting the HD Drift in the future as I am quite impressed at how compact it is without being intrusive as other vid cams

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/

I borrow my buddy's Contour last yr, and it's clarity was impressive and the reason i bought a video camera for sledding

http://store.contour.com/ae/canada/page/home

Another guy I ride with has the Sony HDR-as15, amazing machine slightly more expensive at $300-400 depending on what package you get

http://store.sony.com/p/Action-Cam,-Compact,-Rugged,-HD-video,-action-camcorder,-Go-Pro,-Skateboarding,-Cycling,-Hiking,-Wi-Fi,-AS15/en/p/HDRAS15/B

Sure beats using my cell phone or digital camera in the past

I see quite a few GoPros out there also

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

What are you guys using :)

I agree, the majority will say GoPro but I like my RePlayXD. Much smaller than the GoPro and I think the picture quality is better than the GoPro.

I agree, the majority will say GoPro but I like my RePlayXD. Much smaller than the GoPro and I think the picture quality is better than the GoPro.

http://replayxd.com/product/replay-xd720-video-camera-system/

http://replayxd.com/product/replay-xd1080-video-camera-system/

nice camera!!!!

Where do you buy these?

And what sorta price?

Nice and compact too!!!

I always get a kick out of see GoPros on helmets stick out like a sore thumb, you wipeout and ride tight in the bush , seems it will hook onto lots

that Replay XD looks very compact like the Countours :)

It's smaller than the Contour and takes great quality video. Only place I've seen them is on line. They have a Canadian distributor. http://www.replayxd.ca

Priced at $299. Lots of accessories available.

I have the bullet Hd.Came with double sided mounting tape and a couple of mounting brackets as well as rubber stretch mounts.Picture and video is OK,not sold on battery life yet in the cold and the sound just plain sucks but on the sled I get a lot of static and there is no way to put a wind sock on it to maybe cut that down.It will take up to a 32mb card but the li-ion battery is good in the warm weather and is supposed to go 2hrs which it will pretty much do warm but probably 1/2 hr less cold.I paid 149 last year at costco.I was going to put up a video but not sure how from my computer.

Kerry

I have the bullet Hd.Came with double sided mounting tape and a couple of mounting brackets as well as rubber stretch mounts.Picture and video is OK,not sold on battery life yet in the cold and the sound just plain sucks but on the sled I get a lot of static and there is no way to put a wind sock on it to maybe cut that down.It will take up to a 32mb card but the li-ion battery is good in the warm weather and is supposed to go 2hrs which it will pretty much do warm but probably 1/2 hr less cold.I paid 149 last year at costco.I was going to put up a video but not sure how from my computer.

Kerry

Buddy with another camera told me to try tape on the mic area to cut the vid resistance, I have a bit with mine when riding fast, I might try that trick on Monday see if that helps

I usually upload my vids to youtube or photobucket.com then I link them to here

Replay provides small pieces of clear adhesive vinyl (thick tape) to put over the mic to cut wind noise. Seems to work as I've never had an issue with wind noise while using the "tape".

Replay provides small pieces of clear adhesive vinyl (thick tape) to put over the mic to cut wind noise. Seems to work as I've never had an issue with wind noise while using the "tape".

nice

sorta like electrical tape, but thicker?

Yup, just a bit thicker than electrical tape. I would guess that electrical tape would work just as well. It seems that as long as you block the wind from getting directly at the mic it should work.

Buddy with another camera told me to try tape on the mic area to cut the vid resistance, I have a bit with mine when riding fast, I might try that trick on Monday see if that helps

I usually upload my vids to youtube or photobucket.com then I link them to here

Thanks Freezy I'll try that.

Kerry

I've always been a GoPro fan, but after them releasing 2 new models in less than 2 years and telling me although my camera's hardware supports the new modules but they don't have any plans to do a firmware update for it, I've kind of given up supporting them to my friends.

And heads up to you who own a GoPro Hero2 in the spring when they bring out a GPS unit you're not getting a firmware update, only Hero 3 and the new Hero4 set for June will support it.

Well Photobucket is too dang slow.15 % upload after 40 mins for a 589mb video clip.Have to try u tube I guess. One thing I did find out though is there is no website for my Bios Bullet HD cam now so I guess I wont be getting any replacement batteries if it goes.lol

Kerry

Love my Go Pro. Often when people have resolution issues its because they're using the wrong setting for what they are filming, or using a cheap-o card. Also, the finished product depends on what video editing software you are using too. I have videos that look like professional quality. It also takes a full day of editing and playing around to achieve that, when you add titles, graphics, music, voice overs. I've also never had one break off after hitting something. If you encounter that problem you've tightened the thumb bolt far too tight. It should be able to pivot. I like that I don't have to monkey with tape to block out wind noise. I have a second back cover to swap out that does exactly that.

There are many good cameras out there. Just depends on what you want to spend, what you want to do with it, and how you treat your equipment.

Well Photobucket is too dang slow.15 % upload after 40 mins for a 589mb video clip.Have to try u tube I guess. One thing I did find out though is there is no website for my Bios Bullet HD cam now so I guess I wont be getting any replacement batteries if it goes.lol

Kerry

http://www.biosactioncam.com/

Future Shop also carries them

Kerry

Spend the $50 and buy in to Viemo, no cap, or ads and its fast.

Or look at avs4you to edit an reformat your videos, same quality 25% of the file size.

Well Photobucket is too dang slow.15 % upload after 40 mins for a 589mb video clip.

How long is the clip? Thats a huge file, unless you have a super fast upload connection and computer. I can usually compress a 4min 720p vid to under 100mb while retaining quality.

FreezerBurnt, I know there are dealers out there but there is no replacement batteries available.I got 2 with it .Tried to search online by battery type to no avail.Probably unique to the manufacturer.So having said that what type of battery do the other models use and are there replacements available.Maybe some more info would help in a future purchase.Hate to buy something and only get a years use out of it if the batteries go.

dirtybeacher,It is in AVI. format and is 5 mins long.Probably in 1080 though. This camera does each video segment in approx 5 min lengths.They are stitched together as individual segments once uploaded to the computer so you can click on each 5 min segment.

Kerry

FreezerBurnt, I know there are dealers out there but there is no replacement batteries available.I got 2 with it .Tried to search online by battery type to no avail.Probably unique to the manufacturer.So having said that what type of battery do the other models use and are there replacements available.Maybe some more info would help in a future purchase.Hate to buy something and only get a years use out of it if the batteries go.

dirtybeacher,It is in AVI. format and is 5 mins long.Probably in 1080 though. This camera does each video segment in approx 5 min lengths.They are stitched together as individual segments once uploaded to the computer so you can click on each 5 min segment.

Kerry

have you tried to contact Bullit?

My Drift uses 2 rechargeable AA :) I like that feature

My buddy's Sony he gets cheap chinese battery pack for $1.50

video from the Sony HDR my bud has, he actually rides with 2 Sonys

have you tried to contact Bullit?

My Drift uses 2 rechargeable AA :) I like that feature

My buddy's Sony he gets cheap chinese battery pack for $1.50

Can't. There is no longer a link to the company website.There was last year and at the time it didn't have the option to buy accessories.Maybe the drift will be my next choice as AA's are a standard for just about everything I got.I just dug in to my collett communicator battery packs and changed out the existing ones with new AA rechargeables.Cheaper than paying 60 bucks and waiting for each unit.

Kerry

the drift HD has a battery inside it , I just charge it from my laptop , , it also has a mic sensitivity adjustment , turn it down to keep out the wind noise , turn it up for other places

@Kerry - sounds like you are uploading raw camera files. Theres lots of software out there to compress to more manageable sizes for uploading and viewing like Moviemaker and imovie. I did this quick vid today all with iphone (filming,editing,render, compress and upload) ended up 9mb at 720p for 30 sec of vid.

use a vio camera, waterproof, to 3 meters, summer use only in kayak, not intended for winter use underwater on sled, has small camera lens remote mounted, main body kept inside jacket to preserve battery, have used for summer, hunting and sledding, good video and i don't have the 1080 just 720.

@Kerry - sounds like you are uploading raw camera files. Theres lots of software out there to compress to more manageable sizes for uploading and viewing like Moviemaker and imovie. I did this quick vid today all with iphone (filming,editing,render, compress and upload) ended up 9mb at 720p for 30 sec of vid.

https://vimeo.com/57892110

Thanks I might try going thru windows first.They are directly from the camera.

Kerry

Archived