D5 Limited or not??

ALLNYTRO

Ok so I was on the OFSC map site last night and got real excited when I saw lots of yellow trails. I go on the website at 7 this morning (Sat) and now everything is red again. Did somebody make a mistake or am I missing something?

Ok so I was on the OFSC map site last night and got real excited when I saw lots of yellow trails. I go on the website at 7 this morning (Sat) and now everything is red again. Did somebody make a mistake or am I missing something?

I live just north of you. We need alot more snow yet before we can open. I expect area's south of London to open first.

we r having a real problem here. We didn't get any frost this year before the snow so we couldn't get out and knock the tops off the plowed fields. So once we got the snow last week the groomer can go across wheat fields even with no frost, so we go out and pack and knock tops off. We left up all the trail closed signs. We know people r gonna ride, but to see what they have done the last 2 days is pretty disheartning. 800 cc sleds right to the pin in wheat fields, the sled isn't goin anywhere fast and the wheat is destroied. I guess there are no ethics anymore. We have had these problems in the past, but nothing like what I saw today. Good farm land sells for 15k and upwards to 18k an acre, and then what ever the cost of planting the winter wheat is, and some jackass that buys a trail pass 4 200 bux thinks they have the right to go out and destroy property. Its 1 thing to rip a trail all to hell when there is a base,you rarely touch the crop,but when there is no frost and limited snow to work with, that is a different story. There was good snow on the Warwick trails and if it was respected we could have been close to opening most of our trails, but with the current state that things r in we r gonna have some very pissed off land owners.......I saw a couple this afternoon after parking the groomer. It is still snowing and we r getting some pretty heavy ground drifting, but untill we get some substancial snow the groomers will be parked, we got all the tops knocked off, so we have our part looked after. If there are people out riding closed trails, try and have some respect and not destroy crops. I know there are tons of people that never wait to open the trails, but honestly, think about what you are doing.

X2 wildman..Please do not destroy it for us loyal riders. Seen it on the rail bed from Barrie-Orillia today on the way home from the cottage. TONS of sleds out, and yet its not open. Come on guys, i wanna ride to, but have some respect for the landowners, the clubs etc so we all can enjoy it..

I live near Tillsonburg and the trails weren't bad a couple days ago, the groomers have been out but Friday night and Saturday the trails were packed, there were people from all over riding this area and it's a mess now, trails are very dirty. Definitely need more snow soon!

That is a shame wildman. It cost me 90 per acre for winter seed, 62 per acre for fertilizer. So 152 per acre just for the fall In puts, plus guys are paying 300 plus per acre to rent land. Winter wheat isn't a big money maker compared to corn, but can yield in the 2.5 ton per acre range at 240 dollars for per ton, plus straw value too. Can work out to 700 bucks gross per acre. Corn is over double this amount, but takes more out of ground.

That is a shame wildman. It cost me 90 per acre for winter seed, 62 per acre for fertilizer. So 152 per acre just for the fall In puts, plus guys are paying 300 plus per acre to rent land. Winter wheat isn't a big money maker compared to corn, but can yield in the 2.5 ton per acre range at 240 dollars for per ton, plus straw value too. Can work out to 700 bucks gross per acre. Corn is over double this amount, but takes more out of ground.

ya and don't forget the fuel, wear on equipment and time to do all that and then to see a bunch of idiot's disrespect you. I know most farmers expect to have some damage where the trail goes but nobody expects to see what we r seeing this year. I think allot of this attitude stems from the fact that last year was a bust here and they figure they will ride on anything now. It's hard to believe that people are willing to treat a $15k sled like that too, my junk will sit in the garage untill there is a good base, or I'll trailer to good conditions.

Need to get the police out and fine a few sledders for trespassing. Word will get around and people will stay off. Our club did it here a few years ago and it made a big difference. Had an article in the local paper too.

Need to get the police out and fine a few sledders for trespassing. Word will get around and people will stay off. Our club did it here a few years ago and it made a big difference. Had an article in the local paper too.

I completely agree, I think that would put a stop to it. Most of the yahoo's aren't on this forum and never hear about the damage to the land there inflicting, but nail them with a minimum of $1000 fine and that will make anyone change there mind about going out.

Having last year as a bust doesn't help but I see this every year in Thamesford just east of London. It's always disappointing. Tracks lead right to a Mac's convenience store which also has a LCBO.

I am not saying they are boozers but they are not helping to remove a stereotype.

(null)

Definitely some valuable information in this posting; hovever, no one has responded to the original question....

I also noticed that D5 had some trails listed as "yellow" on the OFSC interactive trail guide on Friday evening around 6:30pm. I looked at the map and thought there was no way that there was enough snow in this area for trails to be limited... Then by Saturday morning everything was back to "red".

As Wildman stated, the groomer was out and did some packing last week and knocked the tops off of the plowed fields, which is an excellent start to a good base. Just need more snow as we all know. No sense going out and tearing up the fields, ruining winter crops and potential landowner permissions... not to mention your freshly polished sled!

I for one was shocked to see the trails listed as limited on Friday night, but I also didnt bother loading my sled and heading out there for Saturday morning. Knowing how much snow we have in Brantford, I could't see there being much more 20 minutes south of me.

So, was it a mistake that the map was showing "limited" trails on Friday evening and corrected on Saturday morning?

Either way, there is no excuse for the guys out there tearing things up... Whether trails are limited or open, we all must respect the landowners.

The trails were actually good for a couple days! Now they are pretty bad, the trails are back to limited as of this morning.

Ok here's the deal with some of the trails going limited in district 5 and then back to red. My wife is one one who does the updates for the interactive trail guide for district 5, in an attempt to open some trails on friday afternoon in the Warwick area more trails changed to limited than was supposed to. It took her a few hours and some phone calls to get things sorted out, good thing i worked overtime and missed it all. There seemed to be a problem with the program that the OFSC uses to update the trails. This issue also was a problem on Saturday while doing more updates. It seems to be working correctly now and yes the trails shown as of now are really open, Elgin trail riders, Warwick Snowmobile Club, Southern Snow Riders, Strathroy Sno blizzards and Burford Snowmobile club have trails open as limited

Ok here's the deal with some of the trails going limited in district 5 and then back to red. My wife is one one who does the updates for the interactive trail guide for district 5, in an attempt to open some trails on friday afternoon in the Warwick area more trails changed to limited than was supposed to. It took her a few hours and some phone calls to get things sorted out, good thing i worked overtime and missed it all. There seemed to be a problem with the program that the OFSC uses to update the trails. This issue also was a problem on Saturday while doing more updates. It seems to be working correctly now and yes the trails shown as of now are really open, Elgin trail riders, Warwick Snowmobile Club, Southern Snow Riders, Strathroy Sno blizzards and Burford Snowmobile club have trails open as limited

Thank-you for the information IndySKS.

I can only imagine what's involved to accurately update the system with this new technology and the issues that can happen.

Please thank your wife as well for her efforts and her commitment for getting things resolved.

Amen to that, I'm sure it's a thankless job

some trails were open on Sat and Sun, by monday they were pretty bare, looking at them as I drove by, an email monday afternoon to southern snow riders confirmed most trails south of # 3 were limited but very tore up, I live close to the rail bed north of # 3, not open but groomer has packed it twice, a few sleds flying by, you can hear them by the rocks boucing off tunnels, was going to ride new years day but after what I seen of limited trails from the road on Monday, figured i would wait, need more snow.

Ya the trails are very bare! Definitely should not even be limited! Rode Sunday from Tillsonburg to around turkey point and was in a section of bush and they were swampy, had to take the sled through a big mud pit, was not good at al.

Archived