Trip to French & Pickerel River Bridges

600 XC

Just thought I'd report on our saddlebag trip from Kearney to the French & Pickerel river bridges on Feb.14 & 15. First off, let me say that this is one spectacular destination as the sight of these bridges from the seat of your sled & then the amazing views of the river gorges, especially the French river bridge, are well worth the effort. Our route up from Kearney was west on the Sequin to C101 to Dunchurch, then 602 to 605 ("Gord's Trail", Alpine groomed) to 600 to AR510 to Port Loring. This route from Dunchurch to Port Loring is considered their Lake route as there are a lot of swamps & medium sized lakes, ALL of which were excellently marked, staked & some even dragged by the Alpines, which we met working in tandem just south of Port Loring. Sure brings back memories. We then took C105D over to the C trail on the west side of Hwy #69 where there was definately less snow but had received about 6" last week & was groomed on Wed. Feb.13th. & was in pretty good shape the rest of the way to Cedar Village Marina at the Pickerel river bridge where we spent the night. $75. for accomadation, dinner & breakfast, not bad at all. Steve & Doreen are great hosts. We planned on taking C105D east all the way back to Sundridge for the return trip but, much to our dismay found no open trail once we got a few Kms east of the C106 junction where the Argyle club's groomer turns around. Then after back tracking all the way west to D102C found it completely ungroomed from NN450 to the trail 600 junction. This didn't make sense as the PSSD website listed D102C as "OPEN". The rest of the trip down to Ardbeg, thru Dunchurch to C101 then back to Kearney on the Sequin was cold -25C but expertly groomed. If you haven't had the chance to go up & see these largest in the world, recreational use only, bridges, I highly recommend it. BFN

Hey there XC!!! Thanks for the report! Glad you found your way home in the cold on Friday - looking forward to next week!

Glad to hear you had a good ride . It seems like many trails are not complete this year largely due to swamps and ice I suspect.

Ya you're probably right Wildbill, I just wish that the website trail reports reflected the actual trail copnditions. Very frustrating!!

Glad to hear you had a good ride . It seems like many trails are not complete this year largely due to swamps and ice I suspect.

Ya you're probably right Wildbill, I just wish that the website trail reports reflected the actual trail copnditions. Very frustrating!!

todays trail reporting system is brought to you by risk management where it is safer to leave a trail posted as closed than risk a lawsuit.

todays trail reporting system is brought to you by risk management where it is safer to leave a trail posted as closed than risk a lawsuit.

I agree, but this was the opposite.The NNTA was reporting C105D "OPEN" with a detour onto NN440 to go around a logging operation. The trail just ended where the Argyle groomer turns around. We never saw or got to any detour or trail NN440. I know I'm just ranting.

I agree, but this was the opposite.The NNTA was reporting C105D "OPEN" with a detour onto NN440 to go around a logging operation. The trail just ended where the Argyle groomer turns around. We never saw or got to any detour or trail NN440. I know I'm just ranting.

email the NNTA I am sure they would like to discuss this

email the NNTA I am sure they would like to discuss this

Already done. Thanks for your interest Wildbill.

Thanks for the report 600XC. That destination is definitely in my future plans. It was part of this year's loop, in fact, until the winter went south and we couldn't make a loop.

Glad you enjoyed it - looking forward to doing the same one day.

Archived