Perth -district 1 - Aquarius Motel/Colonial Inn

slomo

INFORMATION ADDED - MARCH 2013 WITH REGARD TO TRAIL ACCESS, COLONIAL INN, post # 8

Thanks to revrnd and others who got me pointed to this one. I was looking for a trail side motel where I could basically camp out while exploring a 'new to me' trail area. Aquarius worked well.

http://www.aquariusmotel.ca/

Good clean mom and pop establishment with small fridge, microwave, cable TV, free wireless internet (ask for password) lots of parking for trucks and trailers.

Wendy's Restaurant across the street, Tim Hortons with good truck/trailer parking open 24 houra 2 minute walk away, Ultramar Gas on same side of 4 lane street although access was difficult with icy condtions and Petrocan less accessible for sleds on opposite side of street.(the Ultramar is probablyeasier accessed by a spur trail off the E that comes up somewhere beside it)

E trail passes right behind motel and is fairly easy to get to:

post-19713-0-38100200-1329010385_thumb.j

There are two other establishments in the area. The Tay motel is across the street from the Aquarius and trail access is slightly more difficult.

http://www.tayinn.com/

The Colonial House is west of the Aquarius and according to what I saw, had the best trail access of all three- you rode across a field. They must have told someone to F off as they are not even listed on the District 1 map. They have trucker's specials but nothing for sledders?

http://www.colonialhouse.ca/

The parking lots of these places were practically deserted and I can't understand why they don't go out of their way to get some sledding clients during the winter given their proximity to good trails. Many places lack even basic web sites. Such disincentives are enough to send people originally interested to spend money in one area off to another where information is easy to find,

Visiting the above web sites, you will note that none have any references to winter activities ??

Slomo, thanks for the updates. Dist' 1 seems to be a bit off the beaten path. Was there much traffic on the trails?

Slomo, that's for the updates. Dist' 1 seems to be a bit off the beaten path. Was there much traffic on the trails?

Now that you mention it, I did find myself scratching my helmet wondering where the people were with such good conditions. Ones that were launching at Sharbot Lake were for the most part heading north - probably closer to Pembroke or Carleton Place. There was even a poker run going on and that didn't crowd things either. The trails and scenary are such that it is also an ideal area for two up riding and I would certainly return to tour ms. slomo around.

Compared to past weekends, it was fairly chillywinds nw and -25 wind chill so maybe that was a factor. Great area though and too bad accomodations aren't better promoted. As the Intrepid Sledder had been through here, and who lists himself as a communications 'consultant' , he might have seen the opportunity to make a few dollars getting some recognition for some of the businesses.

I'm wondering if some of these "mom & pop" operations haven't heard of this newfangled internet?

I have a friend that we tease to no end about his Luddite-like views upon technology. No cellphone or computer. Yet he goes on about how his 7 year old niece is a whiz on the computer. I don't have the latest & greatest phone (still using an old flipphone), but I can't imagine planning a trip be it sledding or during the off season w/o the 'net.

I'm wondering if some of these "mom & pop" operations haven't heard of this newfangled internet?

I have a friend that we tease to no end about his Luddite-like views upon technology. No cellphone or computer. Yet he goes on about how his 7 year old niece is a whiz on the computer. I don't have the latest & greatest phone (still using an old flipphone), but I can't imagine planning a trip be it sledding or during the off season w/o the 'net.

What is this flip phone of which you speak? Mine has an antenna you pull out - apparently I can get both types of signals whatever that means - other than an excuse for Bell to charge more.

I have no idea how the finances for OC.com work, but maybe Marty wants to get on this and start compiling a separate but related ad forum specifically for sledding accomodation purposes - kind of like your spreadsheet but a collection of web sites organized by districts? Offer low cost web space and site construction to interested establishments wanting exposure to sledders. On the district 1 map, the number of non-web site lodging outnumbers those with web sites - mostly summer related - by a factor of 10 to 1 or so.

Offer low cost web space and site construction to interested establishments wanting exposure to sledders. On the district 1 map, the number of non-web site lodging outnumbers those with web sites - mostly summer related - by a factor of 10 to 1 or so.

When I'm compiling my info & checking/verifying websites, lots of places make no mention of sledding. When you contact them (if they have email or a contct form thru the site) they'll say yes they're open in the winter.

When Tourism Ontario put out their snowmobiling guide a couple of years ago, I found it basically useless. I think they took a listing from the summer & just put a sledding themed cover on it. I found out that most of the lodges in northern Ontario closed after the moose hunt was over. The odd 1 stayed open for ice fishing, but few explicitly mentioned sledding as an activity.

• 1 year later...

Update - March 3, 2013

While a stay at the Aquarius Motel was adequate last year, upon my return in 2013, while the motel is somewhat worn, it is a good inexpensive place for a couple of night's stay. Costs $69 for two queen beds for 2 people, fridge, micro wave, good cable tv selection, towels changed daily, etc. Our trail access was less desireable than last year, as got moved from end of motel, but got over it once on the trails.

Had the time to go over and talk to the owner of the Colonial Inn next door. My main concern was trail access from their parking lot.

post-19713-0-22820700-1362341866_thumb.g

As it turns out, the motel owns the property behind it right to the edge of the E trail. There is no groomed or ridden trail, but if snow depth is not extreme, trail access can be easily accomplished without road running. The Colonial Inn looks to be in good shape and a viable alternative for sledders who want to stay in the area with good access to a main trail.

post-19713-0-52818100-1362341882_thumb.g

The owner, who has had the motel for a little over a year, was not very knowledgeable about sledding - he had inquired about such things at the local Chamber of Commerce, but no information was forthcoming. He said there had been few inquiries by snowmobilers, but acknowledged that his motel was probably unknown to them. (both are listed in revrnd's accomodation database)

In any event, I'll be emailing him some basic sledding information and a contact for district 1. This area was among the first to have decent snow last year, is an easy drive along 401 and then north.

Neither of these motels are map sponsors for district 1.

Archived