An advisory to anyone south of sudbury

SkiDooStu

Sorry guys, but I just thought I'd let you know that Saturday should be your sledding day this weekend. IT's going to pour down Sunday unless this storm shifts further east really quick. It will flash freeze again Monday afternoon into tuesday, but much of the base will likely be ruined by then. Unless we get more snow during the week, there will be another storm next saturday/sunday which is also supposed to be on the warm side. Might be the end of sledding this year for southwestern ontario I'm afraid.

On the bright side, the snowbelt areas are forecast to get heavy lake effect snow as the system moves out on monday, but for places like me in strathroy we're probably finished.

Such is life in SW Ontario

Man you need to get a trailer! I've done quite a bit of sledding this year and I live in Strathroy. We're always looking for people to ride with. Whereabouts are you anyway?

He's trapped inside of a MAC :banghead: :poke:

I've done quite a bit of sledding this year and I live in Strathroy.

Hopefully what I said wasn't too misleading. This won't be my first ride of the year. Just the first ride since the trails reopened a week or so ago. I've been sick all week and unable to get out.

We're always looking for people to ride with. Whereabouts are you anyway?

I'm up near Bayfield. Let me know if you're ever coming up this way. I'll give you the grand tour.

He's trapped inside of a MAC :banghead: :poke:

Inside of a Media Access Control? :wtf::wavey:

Winter storm watch for: Huron - Perth

Issued at 3:35 PM EST FRIDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2008

SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM ON THE WAY SUNDAY TO MONDAY MORNING. THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

A LARGE SCALE WINTER STORM WHICH HAS YET TO DEVELOP IN TEXAS IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NORTH TOWARDS SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND BRING A MIXED BAG OF WINTERY PRECIPITATION SUNDAY TO MONDAY MORNING. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THAT THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING SIGNIFICANT FREEZING RAIN ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO STARTING SUNDAY MORNING BEFORE PROGRESSING EAST TO THE GREATER TORONTO AREA LATER IN THE DAY. THE FREEZING RAIN WILL BE AT TIMES MIXED WITH ICE PELLETS AND THE COMBINED EFFECT CAN PRODUCE VERY SLIPPERY ROAD CONDITIONS. THERE IS THE CHANCE THAT THE FREEZING RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO RAIN SUNDAY NIGHT. REGIONS LOCATED IN EASTERN ONTARIO INCLUDING THE OTTAWA VALLEY NORTH TO ALGONQUIN PARK WILL SEE THE PRECIPITATION START OUT AS SNOW LATE ON SUNDAY WITH A SHOT OF FREEZING RAIN SUNDAY NIGHT. CURRENT INDICATIONS SHOW THAT TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 CENTIMETRES IS POSSIBLE BY MONDAY MORNING. THERE IS SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE TRACK OF THIS WINTER STORM. GENERALLY THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO TRACK OVER LOWER MICHIGAN ON SUNDAY AND MOVE NORTHEASTWARD INTO CENTRAL ONTARIO ON MONDAY. IF THE STORM TAKES A MORE NORTHERLY TRACK THROUGH GEORGIAN BAY THERE WILL LIKELY BE A SIGNIFICANT WARM UP AND A SHORTER PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN SINCE IT WILL ALL TURN INTO RAIN. ALTERNATELY IF THE STORM TRACKS THROUGH THE LOWER GREAT LAKES THE STORM WILL CAUSE A PROLONGED PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN AND SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW TO THE REGIONS. THE ONTARIO STORM PREDICTION CENTRE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS STORM. AS THE WEATHER SITUATION DEVELOPS APPROPRIATE WEATHER WARNINGS WILL BE ISSUED.

EC has a better outlook at the moment.

I like EC too. When I was on my sledding trip last week, TWN,Accucrap predicted that four of the days the Haliburton area was to see roughly 5cm for each of the forecasted days and a day of rain and very mild. The only thing that materialized out of that was the mild day which was only +2 degrees celcius. Still rideable. Then the weekend came with a good dumping of snow and they again only forecasted a few centimeteres. I have learned that as upsetting as weather forecasts are...there is little one can do about it. Since the thaw in January, there has been fairly consistent snowfall and decent temperatures to re freeze most of what thawed. Where I ride the aggressive grooming and volunteer work has made the trails a lot bettter quicker than they ever were all of last year. A day of rain is not going to wipe out the base. Period. There have been several single days of rain so far and when the flash freeze comes and fresh snow, the trails have been rejuvenated better then prior to the rain. So from what I have witnessed a mild day and SOME rain has been beneficial. Just stay off the trails till the flash freeze and fresh snow fall. Let the groomers do their majic and let it set up. I am speaking from experiences around the Haliburton area. I have no comment on how the south-west is fairing.

Archived