Off trail riding..

snobaron

I have some questions about off trail riding, on Crown Lands..

Live in Minnesota but have a vacation place outside Thunder Bay. We have had literally no snow here this year but I know there is some nice snow on the north side of Superior. What, if any, are the rules/regs regarding snowmobiling on Crown Land? Only thing I have heard is that liability insurance should be carried on the machines. I always carry liability anyway so I'd be okay but couple of my friends usually don't [it's not required down here.. crazy or what?]. Anyway, since the trail system is non-existant around TB , thought of the idea of hitting some old ogging roads, trails, etc.. Have Explorer maps which shows some of that stuff, GPS and so forth. Any tips/suggestions/warnings would be appreciated. Thanks

current vehicle licence, drivers licence, vehicle registration, and proof of current PL PD insurance should do.

The tourism website for the city of Thunder Bay states:

In Ontario, travel on Crown lands and waters for the purpose of recreation is usually free and unrestricted.Travel may be restricted due to Forest Fire hazard, access roads that are officially closed or areas posted with signs to prohibit travel for various reasons. It then goes on to place restrictions on non-residents for camping (not an issue?? it's not that mild, lol)

I'd follow up with a call to the Ministry of Natural Resources (District of Thunder Bay) 1-807-475-1471 with specific questions about the region you're interested in.

Good luck!

Ownership, drivers Licence. Insurance. I've been flying over the area NE of Nipigon for the past month, just drooling over the MILES of untracked roads. And, to boot, as I type this, we are receiving a huge pile of snow.

Come on up and enjoy.

BP76Mr

Archived