Staked line from Penetang to South tip Beausoleil?

kennyb

Hi All,

I doubt that it is in since Honey Harbour just froze up a few weeks ago...but does anyone know the status of the staked line? Which club puts it in....Georgian Bay Snowriders...Baxter?

Thanks....

Hey Kennyb ,

I'm a member with Baxter . Neither club stakes Georgian bay to Midland or Penetang anymore and the stake line is no longer an OFSC sanctioned trail , way too much liability out there .. Open water , ice breaker, pressure cracks etc etc ...

I do know of a few locals that still use the old stake line for there own personal use , but as of Last Sunday the stakes were not in place . I took a ride to the Southern tip of the Island to see how Penetang ice is looking . It was all heaved and very rigid .. Ice is definately not passable in this area , needed a meltdown to smooth out or a ton of snow ..

People have been running to Midland for the better part of a week , but again ice breaker and grain boat messed it up . So if you do decide to go stay clear of the shipping channel ...

In no way will I say the ice is safe , but from what I hear 5-8" black ....

Hey Kennyb ,

I'm a member with Baxter . Neither club stakes Georgian bay to Midland or Penetang anymore and the stake line is no longer an OFSC sanctioned trail , way too much liability out there .. Open water , ice breaker, pressure cracks etc etc ...

I do know of a few locals that still use the old stake line for there own personal use , but as of Last Sunday the stakes were not in place . I took a ride to the Southern tip of the Island to see how Penetang ice is looking . It was all heaved and very rigid .. Ice is definately not passable in this area , needed a meltdown to smooth out or a ton of snow ..

People have been running to Midland for the better part of a week , but again ice breaker and grain boat messed it up . So if you do decide to go stay clear of the shipping channel ...

In no way will I say the ice is safe , but from what I hear 5-8" black ....

Good and smart post by the way.

I was just told there is some stakes out between Midland and the island but it is second hand. If you don't know don't go.

Thanks Yukon,

I was on the staked line a few times last year (Farm in penetang where the sleds are...cottage in HH).....I did not know it was not put in place by the clubs anymore. I understand the liability issue...there is always a good pressure ridge about 3/4 of the way to the island and a mess around the south tip if you venture out too far.

I am hoping to make the trip to the cottage for an overnight next weekend (Jan 28th/29th)..but only if the ice is safe and staked....I guess we will see what the weather brings us next week.

Thanks...

Thanks Yukon,

I was on the staked line a few times last year (Farm in penetang where the sleds are...cottage in HH).....I did not know it was not put in place by the clubs anymore. I understand the liability issue...there is always a good pressure ridge about 3/4 of the way to the island and a mess around the south tip if you venture out too far.

I am hoping to make the trip to the cottage for an overnight next weekend (Jan 28th/29th)..but only if the ice is safe and staked....I guess we will see what the weather brings us next week.

Thanks...

You really do have to watch for those pressure cracks especially in low contrast days. We often run the ice over to Penetang from Honey Harbour. Last year we made the trip on Sat and all was well. Same route the next day and there was a sled that had run into a pressure crack that wasn't there the day before. The angle of the crack stopped his sled dead. The skis were twisted, the belly pan and cowling busted and the windshield smashed off likely as the rider was launched forward. Nobody in sight. We figure his friends took him to hospital. On the return trip the sled was gone.

Thanks Yukon,

Thanks...

Not going to tell you to run the stakeline , but the locals have staked from HH to Midland ...

Thanks Yukon,

I will get some updates during the week from sledders up that way and make the call about the weekend.

Archived