Interesting tidbits from Snowmobile Media

Canuck

Every snowmobile publication has its pluses and minuses. Canadian publications seem to go out of there way to be kind to manufacturers, but where they shine is trail reports and support of local lodging and businesses.

Sled comparisons in American Snowmobiler are more 'critical', but for this topic, I'd like to throw out a few articles that have resonated for some time.

1. How did snowmobile 'emissions' become such an issue?

The writer, Olav Aaen, has this wonderful commentary:

"As if the recession (early 2000) and racing woes weren’t enough, a local grudge match between snowmobile rental operations, snow coach providers and the National Park Service in West Yellowstone spun out of control. What should have been a small local issue became a large industry issue that sucked in the manufacturers, ending with stringent emission requirements for the entire industry, costing the Big 4, and consumers, a lot of money.

To me, this issue was poorly handled. What should have been counteracted with legal action against self-serving environmental groups was instead attacked with technology. As a result huge tooling costs in developing new 4-stroke and direct-injection sled engines have quickly almost doubled the price of snowmobiles without any positive response from the National Park Service, which continues to play political games to restrict sled use in national parks.

The extra costs could possibly have been absorbed by increased sales volume if we had not been hit by the largest recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s. The result is more expensive sleds while many customers have lost their “play” money to high interest credit cards, higher health insurance premiums, job losses and more. Most are barely hanging onto their homes while de-leveraging their personal finances. A new $12,000 to $14,000 snowmobile is understandably way down their priority list in such times." ______

Going back a few years (2009) the same magazine had 'The 10 Great Ideas in Snowmobile History"

#1 was a Quebec invention. The "Sno Plan". A system of inter-connecting snowmobile trails that was the vision and long range planning of Ski-Doo’s Laurent Beaudoin, J-Armand Bombardier’s son-in-law.

Sorry for another quote, but it's fascinating how far we've gotten away from the original model..."Let’s be realistic, as our friend pointed out, trails are necessary for survival. But in the earliest days, there were no trail systems, and to allow the growth of the nascent sport, trails were needed to give consumers a place to use the sleds that Ski-Doo and other manufacturers wanted to sell them. SnoPlan was designed meet the needs of the users, who demanded organized trails. Of course, there was the fact that trails needed to be groomed and Bombardier manufactured and sold grooming equipment."

Why do I sense that Luc and Big Reg are cobbling together groomers in northern Ontario, when the original plan had manufacturers and government assisting - no, spearheading - these endeavours.

# 2 on the list - Snowmobile Clubs and Associations. "One of the most critical and oft overlooked aspects of today’s snowmobiling lies in its network of clubs and associations. Don’t kid yourself, even if you don’t belong to a snowmobile club, they are watching out for you."

The list goes on, but I find it insightful that the first two items are 'groups' and 'ideas', rather than items. Sure, the Ski-Dog (#3) , Slide Rail Suspension (#4).. and even Heated Hand Grips (#9) are important, but the Top Two Great Ideas in snowmobiling involve riders, groups, volunteers and vision.

(www. amsnow.com - you need to register to view this 2009 article)

No problem. The fact that we Canadians got bogged down by a U.S. p*ssing match involving a National Park bothered me from the moment I read it. Glad to share.

Craig Nicholson's writing (the Intrepid Snowmobiler) is also top notch. I don't have the magazine in hand, but there was a great article on the Algoma Tour (from Elliot Lake - Dunlop Lake Lodge). What what made the issue 'better' was the editorial on Halfway Haven.

He even made Ski-doo look good, with a reported 425 km. to a tank of fuel. :ehh::D

However it happened, more fuel efficient machines are a positive. Price of gas is up. The public perception of a loud poppety pop, blue smoke belching sled has to be changed in a more environmentally concious world. I remember launching my two stroke next to those condos lakeside in Gravenhurst for Doonut's lake tour and creating a huge blue smoke screen. I was sure somebody sitting looking out their window wrote down on thier 'to do' list at that point to try and ban sleds from those trails!

It's not just sleds - we've seen positive technology in outboard motors, atv's etc and even in some small engine snowblowers and generators.

But, did they have to screw with the portable gas cans? The old ones worked just fine. These new types with no vent and a two stream funnel are P's OS.

Sad.

Archived