Trail 309 - Simcoe (a 'new' gem)

Canuck

I had recently planned a ride from Balm Beach , up to Simcoe Road 6 and south to Elmvale. Plan was to head either to Collingwood or Orillia, depending on trail conditions.

Halfway between Wyevale and Elmvale, I noticed a groomed trail heading towards Hillsdale. The 'new' trail 309. Decided to take it.

What a gem. Wide open fields, leads you right to the C trail.

At C trail, turned right towards Coldwater, and then through Coldwater to Port Severn, Honey Harbour, Georgian Bay, Penetang and back to Balm Beach.

_____

Riders from the north can do this in reverse, and take 309 as a shortcut to the 'south shore' of Georgian Bay.

Trail 309 is not labelled on the interactive map (or at least I couldn't zoom in close enough), but it's clear on the paper map.

I had recently planned a ride from Balm Beach , up to Simcoe Road 6 and south to Elmvale. Plan was to head either to Collingwood or Orillia, depending on trail conditions.

Halfway between Wyevale and Elmvale, I noticed a groomed trail heading towards Hillsdale. The 'new' trail 309. Decided to take it.

What a gem. Wide open fields, leads you right to the C trail.

At C trail, turned right towards Coldwater, and then through Coldwater to Port Severn, Honey Harbour, Georgian Bay, Penetang and back to Balm Beach.

_____

Riders from the north can do this in reverse, and take 309 as a shortcut to the 'south shore' of Georgian Bay.

Trail 309 is not labelled on the interactive map (or at least I couldn't zoom in close enough), but it's clear on the paper map.

So the conditions of this ride you did were good?

The conditions on this ride were so good that halfway through the day I joked "I haven't turned left or right this year".

First ride was Seguin.

This ride was basically another old railway line along Simcoe 6 (TOP C) to new 309. A little twitch to right; a little twitch to left. Trails were FLAT , recently groomed.

At Port Severn you get into the usual Canadian Shield twisties. Groomer had not left Port Severn to do its usual 'end of weekend' run, so a bit bumpy on C trail to Hwy 400 underpass. Trail 19 on the other side of 400 was not groomed recently, but it's a short run to lakes and Georgian Bay.

From Penetang to Balm Beach - freshly groomed along TOP C and it looked like the groomer headed out to the Maple Valley clubhouse.

The conditions on this ride were so good that halfway through the day I joked "I haven't turned left or right this year".

First ride was Seguin.

This ride was basically another old railway line along Simcoe 6 (TOP C) to new 309. A little twitch to right; a little twitch to left. Trails were FLAT , recently groomed.

At Port Severn you get into the usual Canadian Shield twisties. Groomer had not left Port Severn to do its usual 'end of weekend' run, so a bit bumpy on C trail to Hwy 400 underpass. Trail 19 on the other side of 400 was not groomed recently, but it's a short run to lakes and Georgian Bay.

From Penetang to Balm Beach - freshly groomed along TOP C and it looked like the groomer headed out to the Maple Valley clubhouse.

:ssh:

The trails in our area have been awesome - and the grooming has been outstanding this year. The new 309 is a fabulous addition and allows you to by-pass Midland if you want to :woot:

We stumbled upon 309 last week, and yes what a gem.

An absolute beautiful trail for sure.

Archived