Osgoode Carleton Open!

Mooseman

Message from the club:

Hello Fellow Snowmobiles,

Yes…the Groom Boss has been cracking the whip and making the boy’s get out there and push that snow into the ground…excellent work from the Groom Team. Though conditions are not ideal they are committed and working hard to getting you out on the trails again this year even though we have experienced a lack of snow!

Once again this year the Osgoode-Carleton Snowmobile Trail Club is the 1st club with trails open in our District, we have inspected all our trails and feel they are safe and good to open under “ limited” condition.

Please ride with courtesy and respect for others on the trail, once again please stay off the KOC (Multi-Use Trail) until further notice, stay on marked trails and remember to avoid build up areas to respect our Rural homeowners.

Let’s get out and Ride…

Mickey Roy

Director of Communications and Public Relations

Osgoode Snowmobile Club

www.osgoodesnowmobileclub.ca

Our snow phone # 613 724 snow

Checking the OFSC map, our trails are open limited but we're surrounded by red. We're supposed to get 2-4 cm tonight. Hopefully this will help a bit. I will be going out this weekend and will report back.

:right_on: I had seen the yellow trails. Too bad there is no snow foretasted for a while now... I think il still trailer up to some good snow.

Trails still good up by Pembroke/Rolphton? Depending on conditions here, might take the trip up.

I have friends up in Petawawa and are supposed to be sledding to Whitney this weekend and back and let me know conditions but I wont know myself until end of weekend likely but when I know I'll let everyone else know too..

I have friends up in Petawawa and are supposed to be sledding to Whitney this weekend and back and let me know conditions but I wont know myself until end of weekend likely but when I know I'll let everyone else know too..

Snap a few shots if you can. Pics are worth a 1000 words, or so I've heard.

I was in pembroke/petawawa yesterday and dident take pics :banghead: but the conditions where good. Pembroke the conditions are ok-good but the more north you ride the more snow there was. Leaving from Irving truck stop in pembroke going north on the A trail should be good all the way till Deux Riviere.

I meet up with the groomer on the A/B trail, it was looking good behind him.

I was in deux riviere a couple weeks ago and this is what it looked like.

post-21423-0-57768900-1295701445_thumb.jpg

Today did some of the trails with my son. Left home to the Greely local trail, which was not too bad given the low snow conditions. Then went on A Trail heading east to Metcalfe (Mike's restaurant). Pretty rough, lots of snirt but passable. After lunch, headed back to A trail east to the KOC up to our new clubhouse. Again, A trail was fair with some snirt, grass and weeds/branches poking up. Not too much loose snow available, especially in the wooded portions of the trail so needed to catch some a bit off trail when available. KOC was in good condition, hard packed with a bit of loose snow. The local trail from the KOC heading to Manotick is extremely rough, lots of ruts, gullies, more dirt than snow in some places with some gravel mixed in. Another sledder and his passenger had lost it and got thrown from their sled when they hit a bad gully. I do not recommend it unless you really have to get to gas or something.

On another note, I was quite impressed with our new clubhouse. Setup with a generator, 12V lights, wood stove, coffee, treats, water, an outhouse. Great place to hang out in, get together or just to take a break and warm up. The only thing missing is a Yamaha banner to go with the others :right_on:

Now all we need is more snow so more can come and enjoy our great trails ans hospitality.

Monday night

Becoming cloudy late in the evening then periods of snow. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Temperature steady near minus 19.

Tuesday

Periods of snow. High minus 7.

Every flake helps!

Went out today... Bad idea. Freaking cold and my back was sore from yesterday's ride. My son's sled (92 Safari) was sounding like it was going to throw a rod when idling. It had been sounding like that for years so figured, what the hell, lets ride! Went on the Metcalfe side of the trails. Same conditions. After dinner at Mike's, my son's sled died on the trail. Primary clutch seized closed so had to cut the belt to tow it to the closest road. Then mine wouldn't shift into reverse so had to go around the field to get my sled in position. Then my sled started giving me an error code 81 while towing. Didn't know it at the time but it's for the heated grips. Called the wife to pick him up and I rode home, leaving the dead sled. Got home, then got in the truck to hook up the trailer, she was turning slow at -24c but it started. Then, when I went to hitch the trailer, which is on an incline, the truck stalls. OUT OF GAS! My wife has a nasty habit of using it but not putting any gas in it, letting me do that. Put some gas in, still won't start. Put some more. BATTERY IS DEAD! Get the van to boost it. Finally get it started. Go fill it with gas just to be sure. Hook up the trailer and get the dead sled. It was just me and my 12 year old son to push and pull this thing onto the trailer with my sore back. Oh, and the tilt doesn't like staying tilted so that was fun.

That'll teach me to try and have some fun! :angry:

You get your handwarmers working Mooseman? You ever run the Rideau? Just currious what its like. I see lots of tracks from the highway. I heard the trails up from Pembroke to Whitney and Bancroft were described as hit and miss but they had a good time none the less and seen lots of sledders out too.

Yeah, the code 81 cleared itself after restarting the sled. It may be due to the new set of heated grips I added to the rear passenger seat and that the sled was idling a long time so the fan kicked in. Could also be a problem with a wiring harness I added last year to improve the grips.

This is just my second year here since I moved from Gatineau. Last year was a bust for me, both weather and work wise and this year, this was my first time out. I'm not a big fan of running rivers but will do the lake at our cottage. I'll be heading to Pembroke for sure on Feb.19 for the Ride for Dad. Should be fun.

From Pembroke if you ride north it is good all the way up to Deux Riviere. Haven t ridden past Deux riviere yet so i cant say.

If you ride west to barrys bay it will be a hit and miss. been a while since i have been up to Barrys bay though

Yeah, the code 81 cleared itself after restarting the sled. It may be due to the new set of heated grips I added to the rear passenger seat and that the sled was idling a long time so the fan kicked in. Could also be a problem with a wiring harness I added last year to improve the grips.

This is just my second year here since I moved from Gatineau. Last year was a bust for me, both weather and work wise and this year, this was my first time out. I'm not a big fan of running rivers but will do the lake at our cottage. I'll be heading to Pembroke for sure on Feb.19 for the Ride for Dad. Should be fun.

Ya I'm not real crazy for the rivers especially locally. Don't mind the lakes so much up north. Just thought the Rideau looked quite inviting from the 416 especially seeing my sleds are sitting dormant. I didn't know about the ride in Pembroke.

Archived