Kushog and Boshkung Lakes

yakage

Trails are sparse for snow coverage but the lakes are great. The local trail, south Kushog area, had 3 inches of fresh snow on top of 4 inches of refrozen snow on it (not OFSC). A little rough but usable to connect between lakes. North Boshkung has 6 inches of solid blue ice with 3 inches of fresh powder on top. RJ's ice huts are out on Bosh. We ran the whole length of Kushog and the north end of Boshkung on Saturday. The narrows at St. Nora is a little open on the north side and the center as usual. The narrows at the 35 bridge is mostly frozen over, 10 feet of open directly under the bridge. One can bypass on the road. Should be fine by the weekend. Some slush in places. Beware the current areas, definately not safe.

Thanks yakage for the heads up.

Trails are sparse for snow coverage but the lakes are great. The local trail, south Kushog area, had 3 inches of fresh snow on top of 4 inches of refrozen snow on it (not OFSC). A little rough but usable to connect between lakes. North Boshkung has 6 inches of solid blue ice with 3 inches of fresh powder on top. RJ's ice huts are out on Bosh. We ran the whole length of Kushog and the north end of Boshkung on Saturday. The narrows at St. Nora is a little open on the north side and the center as usual. The narrows at the 35 bridge is mostly frozen over, 10 feet of open directly under the bridge. One can bypass on the road. Should be fine by the weekend. Some slush in places. Beware the current areas, definately not safe.

This Winter (supposed to be a "traditional Winter") is killing me.

Bosh is a funny lake. The Beech river, Burttermilk and Buckslides all flow into the lake at various points. This causes some strange and often inconsistent ice on the lake.

Good to hear things are getting nice and solid. I have not been up since before the annual thaw a week or so ago. Sad..the trails were panned and brushed and just needed some fresh snow!

I see it has been pretty frosty at night too. Great for that solid ice.

Might be a Winter of more lake running than trails, at least to start.

Looking at my webcam, appears to only be about 6" of snow.

Been swimming in Boshkung suddenly once. Didn't like it.

A guy did that right in front of my place at the end of December. I will bet he was in and out so fast his undies were still dry....maybe?

are you still able to cross over where buckslides creek comes into Bosh at the south end of Kushog? the landowner on boshkunk side has gated the area years ago I remember, haven't tried to cross over there since. Then there was a cottage not used in the winter 2 in from the end of town lot rd. that you could also access (safer too as ice out in buckslide bay is not good!!).

I spent a lot of time at the cottage at the very end of town lot rd. there was a goats path from the top of their driveway (end of the rd) down to buckslides creek where you could cross buckslides rd and onto Kushog

post-21414-0-55506400-1294690980_thumb.jpg

are you still able to cross over where buckslides creek comes into Bosh at the south end of Kushog? the landowner on boshkunk side has gated the area years ago I remember, haven't tried to cross over there since. Then there was a cottage not used in the winter 2 in from the end of town lot rd. that you could also access (safer too as ice out in buckslide bay is not good!!).

I spent a lot of time at the cottage at the very end of town lot rd. there was a goats path from the top of their driveway (end of the rd) down to buckslides creek where you could cross buckslides rd and onto Kushog

The access is through a cottage lane east of that point, better ice. The trail is east of that point, off town lot and comes out where buckslide road runs parallel to and directly beside the south shore (Kushog). Township map shows crown land and locals have been using it for years. No gates.

The access is through a cottage lane east of that point, better ice. The trail is east of that point, off town lot and comes out where buckslide road runs parallel to and directly beside the south shore (Kushog). Township map shows crown land and locals have been using it for years. No gates.

Once upon a time it was an HCSA trail in 1985 it was on the map as well 1986 I believe We used to groom it with a 1974 tnt 340 repowered with a 294 siver bullet engine. It would get so hot that it would sieze. We then would pack it full of snow and when it cooled off it ran as good as new. Tom Moffat would come across the lake with an HCSA BR100 and fix it up twice a year for us. The motion to make it an HCSA in 1984 was made by myself and seconded by Tom Prentice I believe.

Once upon a time it was an HCSA trail in 1985 it was on the map as well 1986 I believe We used to groom it with a 1974 tnt 340 repowered with a 294 siver bullet engine. It would get so hot that it would sieze. We then would pack it full of snow and when it cooled off it ran as good as new. Tom Moffat would come across the lake with an HCSA BR100 and fix it up twice a year for us. The motion to make it an HCSA in 1984 was made by myself and seconded by Tom Prentice I believe.

You can still see the trail bed. It has not been overgrown too much by trees and vegetation yet.

Further to Canadoo's post

I have indicated on my map of Boshkung, where there is almost always open water, sketchy ice, TOPB trail, Firehall and works yard for parking, reasonably safe route of travel across lake.

Don't want to see anybody go in the drink. Great lake but there are some sketchy areas of ice!

post-19777-0-88725600-1294764484_thumb.jpg

Further to Canadoo's post

I have indicated on my map of Boshkung, where there is almost always open water, sketchy ice, TOPB trail, Firehall and works yard for parking, reasonably safe route of travel across lake.

Don't want to see anybody go in the drink. Great lake but there are some sketchy areas of ice!

post-19777-0-88725600-1294764484_thumb.jpg

Great Info. Thanks!

Archived