Is Kennisis Lake safe yet?

irREVerent

I'm planning a ride for the middle of next week, and would really like to know if Kennisis is safe to run, from the west side where Tall Pines Trail # 62 ends, over to the Haliburton Forest side.

The MSR web-site still indicates that Kennisis is NOT staked and NOT safe, which is more than a little surprising, given that most or all of the other large lakes in the district seem to be substantially solid now...even Lake of Bays.

So, anybody familiar with the condition of Kennisis, please post with your info...thanks in advance. :right_on:

I ran it a couple times this week and its fine. It is staked down the middle out towards Red Pine??, but as of Wed. wasnt staked over to the dam @ 62, very little open water at the dam its been so cold, but still stay to the shore side. Biggest problem was 62 was trashed, total washboard, but maybe they have got to it by now.

So ya, IMHO its fine, it may even be staked to the dam by now, we ran Redstone as well and both have seen a ton of traffic.

Cheers, Todd

I ran it a couple times this week and its fine. It is staked down the middle out towards Red Pine??, but as of Wed. wasnt staked over to the dam @ 62, very little open water at the dam its been so cold, but still stay to the shore side. Biggest problem was 62 was trashed, total washboard, but maybe they have got to it by now.

So ya, IMHO its fine, it may even be staked to the dam by now, we ran Redstone as well and both have seen a ton of traffic.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the heads-up, Todd...much appreciated. Not happy to hear that 62 was so trashed -- the long weekend traffic certainly won't help that.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the heads-up, Todd...much appreciated. Not happy to hear that 62 was so trashed -- the long weekend traffic certainly won't help that.

trails have all been groomed, but there is very little to work with. D101B has been groomed 3 days in a row & you wouldn't know it unless you were one of the first 20-40 sleds through in the morning.

62 is in good shape though

lakes are great, lots of ice. the HCSA needs help staking Redstone!

Cheers, Todd

trails have all been groomed, but there is very little to work with. D101B has been groomed 3 days in a row & you wouldn't know it unless you were one of the first 20-40 sleds through in the morning.

62 is in good shape though

lakes are great, lots of ice. the HCSA needs help staking Redstone!

Thanks, Canadoo...appreciate the update. :right_on: Hopefully things are good over that way this coming Wednesday.

I rode Kennisis from one end to the other on Saturday. It is staked all the way.

I rode Kennisis from one end to the other on Saturday. It is staked all the way.

Thanks, 14...how was Trail 62?

Did I ride that? I don't have a map with me. I took all the lakes from Little Hawk Lake to Kennisis and then on to Little and Big Red Stone.

Did I ride that? I don't have a map with me. I took all the lakes from Little Hawk Lake to Kennisis and then on to Little and Big Red Stone.

:rotflmao: Sorry, 14...I just assumed that's how you got to (or from) Kennisis, since that's where the stake line ends up on the west side of the lake. My bad...

:rotflmao: Sorry, 14...I just assumed that's how you got to (or from) Kennisis, since that's where the stake line ends up on the west side of the lake. My bad...

the stake line actually leads to past where 62 comes out at the dam & into skinnydip bay where you run a hit the portage into Red Pine Lk.

62 dumps out on the north side of the dam, and there are no stakes from there out, but the stake line runs right down the middle of the lake.

there's about a 1/2 dozen routes you can take out of Kennisis all heading in different directions

the stake line actually leads to past where 62 comes out at the dam & into skinnydip bay where you run a hit the portage into Red Pine Lk.

62 dumps out on the north side of the dam, and there are no stakes from there out, but the stake line runs right down the middle of the lake.

there's about a 1/2 dozen routes you can take out of Kennisis all heading in different directions

Thanks, Canadoo (and sorry 14)...it's been a while since I've been on Kennisis from the west, and apparently my recall of the details was wrong. I appreciate the clarification.

Archived