Anyone Else Find This ....

Diceman

was wondering if there is somewhere in each district that shows what clubs are connected to each other?...seems to me but I maybe wrong that most are in alphabetical order.....reason I asked is I noticed Conestoga Lake is open limited but have no idea what clubs or trail systems are connected to them....if I could tell that a few clubs where open that were connected to each other it maybe worth someones while to go and ride but not knowing makes it tough....I am sure somewhere a map like this exists online .Any info ?? Cheers Diceman

good point

I have gps data where "most" of the Club junctions are in D5 but I know a couple are wrong so I would guess not even every District knows where each club starts and ends for 100% sure positive. And then things change a bit every year too...

I remember when I was a kid, NorthEasthope club used to have there own map. Not sure about the surrounding clubs as I stuck to NorthEasthope when I was a teen. Now they are all connected on the map, and unless you know the area you don't know where one club ends and the other starts on a map. But right now I don't think there are any clubs open that connects to Conestoga. I see B&W just opened this morning and you can get to the North Huron trails which means you can get down into the few of D5 clubs that are open. Some of Pinerige is open and a bit of St. Marys is open. So from Monkton you could get to Grandbend or Goderich, and northwest of there without going on closed trails.

I have gps data where "most" of the Club junctions are in D5 but I know a couple are wrong so I would guess not even every District knows where each club starts and ends for 100% sure positive.

Has there been any thought to actually plotting the GPS trackpoints of the trails on a Google Maps widget, giving a visual representation of exactly which trails and which sections of trails are open? Sure would beat having to accurately describe which trails are open in a few words with the current trail status web page. At that resolution it's not going to matter if the data isn't perfect anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I think it is so important for the OFSC to release official trail data. It would allow third parties to play around with this kind of technology in their spare time without placing any burden on the club's normal operations. Should they ever reach the required level of maturity, they could then be amalgamated into the OFSC umbrella. The very last thing the GPS data is useful for is to replace the paper map, despite what some people believe.

I have gps data where "most" of the Club junctions are in D5 but I know a couple are wrong so I would guess not even every District knows where each club starts and ends for 100% sure positive.

Has there been any thought to actually plotting the GPS trackpoints of the trails on a Google Maps widget, giving a visual representation of exactly which trails and which sections of trails are open? Sure would beat having to accurately describe which trails are open in a few words with the current trail status web page. At that resolution it's not going to matter if the data isn't perfect anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I think it is so important for the OFSC to release official trail data. It would allow third parties to play around with this kind of technology in their spare time without placing any burden on the club's normal operations. Should they ever reach the required level of maturity, they could then be amalgamated into the OFSC umbrella. The very last thing the GPS data is useful for is to replace the paper map, despite what some people believe.

Here is an example, albeit limited to our club only, but it is a neat way of seeing how open trails connect. I would love to be able to see this on a district basis, particularly in an area that I am not familiar with.

http://heartofontario.ca/Conditions.html The text is on the next page.

Here is an example, albeit limited to our club only, but it is a neat way of seeing how open trails connect.

Nice! That's pretty much what I was picturing, except on the OFSC scale. Though the OFSC probably wouldn't want to rely on those colours:

Here is an example, albeit limited to our club only, but it is a neat way of seeing how open trails connect.

Nice! That's pretty much what I was picturing, except on the OFSC scale. Though the OFSC probably wouldn't want to rely on those colours:

Archived