need some help understanding this snowmobile trail thing ?

goliath

Hi there I am new to snowmobiling, I see there is lots of snow and some trails open, some limited. I just called Bracebridge where the trails are not open, apparently lots of riding being done.

a) is ok to ride on trails that ofsc has posted closed

B) are the conditions ok , why would the site say they are closed if they are ok to be driven on.

c) where can I go riding tomorrow, I don't want to do a short ride ?

Thanks for your help,

Hi there I am new to snowmobiling, I see there is lots of snow and some trails open, some limited. I just called Bracebridge where the trails are not open, apparently lots of riding being done.

a) is ok to ride on trails that ofsc has posted closed

B) are the conditions ok , why would the site say they are closed if they are ok to be driven on.

c) where can I go riding tomorrow, I don't want to do a short ride ?

Thanks for your help,

When trails are posted as closed they mean closed, not maybe okay to ride them. When people ride on a closed trail, that action can jeopardize the future use of that trail and or many others. Just because the trail looks rideable it may not always be. There could be hazards, landowner issues, or simply the club has not filed the paperwork to open a trail or updated the website. If you think that the website is outdated, call the area club directly for the factual 411. Don't be "that guy".

Now..some clubs allow a few riders at this time of year to help break open a trail section. That basically means running a few sleds down a trail to check for downed trees, brush removal, checking for wet areas or hazards. Then when the trails are panned down, the club can run the bigger groomers down them and determine that the trails can be opened or not. Which is why you might see some out riding a closed trail. Again...if you are unsure, check with the club. They might be keen to get your help.

Hope this is of help. Also, different areas have different policies on when they open trails. Some require a full foot or more of good snow, some even more than that, it is all dependant on terrain. Call your local club to find out what their polcies are if they are not posted on their website.

Good Luck and welcome! :wavey:

Haliburton is shaping up. They need a little more snow. The Haliburton forest is a good place to go play.

Haliburton is shaping up. They need a little more snow. The Haliburton forest is a good place to go play.

probally full for a few days,if I had gone tomorrow,at noon I was number 74,,,,book early,,,

probally full for a few days,if I had gone tomorrow,at noon I was number 74,,,,book early,,,

.... Because Haliburton forest only accepts 100 sleds per day.

thanks for the info, how do I book the forest thing ?j :wavey:8-)

http://haliburtonforest.com/

Archived