Six Mile Lake (north of Honey Harbour / South of Parry Sound

Canuck

Jan. 27 / 08 - 'Boot high' slushy ice on Six Mile Lake.

C trail (around lake) was groomed from Port Severn north Sunday night. Groomer went south of Port Severn Saturday.

Recommend trail, and not ice, with this warm weather.

I second that. The Baxter club has been doing a good job in getting the C-Trail back in shape after it gets beat up. It was excellent last night.

On the other hand ... The B105 from C-Trail at the top of 6-mile lake, down to Port Severn has not been touched since the melt down. This is NOT a swamp problem for this section of trail.

Does anyone know what is going on with the SMART club. They usually have their trails inexcellent shape.

TIP for 6 mile lake to avoid most of the slush: As you head north, get off the lake at the cottage with the 2 orange pilons(they have a trail marked through their property) instead of going all the way up to the little dam. You will see the pilons right after the last big bend, about 1km before the damn.Then follow the road left until you meet up with the C-trail.

TIP for 6 mile lake to avoid most of the slush: As you head north, get off the lake at the cottage with the 2 orange pilons(they have a trail marked through their property) instead of going all the way up to the little dam. You will see the pilons right after the last big bend, about 1km before the damn.Then follow the road left until you meet up with the C-trail.

PLEASE - make sure they are ok with this. It may be personal use, etc.

I'll ask them next time we're up, and post. Great re-route, esp. if there is snow on the road.

I do realize it is presumptuous on my part but they are not up in the winter so I have yet to be able to ask.

I don't see why anyone would put pylons at there own shoreline unless they were directing traffic. As in, when you use my property, keep in these spots only.

Anybody have any idea about the SMART club?

I second that. The Baxter club has been doing a good job in getting the C-Trail back in shape after it gets beat up. It was excellent last night.

On the other hand ... The B105 from C-Trail at the top of 6-mile lake, down to Port Severn has not been touched since the melt down. This is NOT a swamp problem for this section of trail.

Does anyone know what is going on with the SMART club. They usually have their trails inexcellent shape.

Just got off the phone from my friend that maintains the SMART website. Apparently water is not frozen on many trails and the North River is wide open and the ponds to get from the Orillia Club to SMART trails are also broken open. They have been having problems with swamps/water crossings and ATV tearing the crap out of the trails after the melt-down. Check the SMART club website for updated trail conditions and information

Smart club has been out packing b105 and busting open the mudholes in low lying areas. B105 has alot of little valleys to deal with and they haven't received as much snow as Baxter snowriders have. Smart is still dealing with water issues from the thaw ,just running the packer not the Groomer drag. They were able to open up parts of the trail under limited conditions .

Baxter has not staked any of the ice crossings and they are not to be considered safe. Lots of slush with this breef warm and a flash freeze hopefully we can start to stake within the next couple weeks. Six mile had been staked before the thaw but since have fallen over.

Hope this helps ,

Pray for cold and more snow!

Thanks for the link Giddy UP. This is very helpful. I will stop at their new clubhouse and ask them how I can help out. Their trails are my back yard and they are great for midweek 1-2 hour rides with no traffic.

Hey Yukon, I noticed that the top and bottom of 6 mile are still staked but the middle section wasn't. This is the first time i have seen this so I just went a little faster through the middle.

I had to lead a couple of guys around the C-Trail bumps via 6-mile on Sunday and tried to explain this to them. They were wearing floater suits and seemed relieved to get off the bumps so happily followed along. In the end they were very thankful and checked they didn't lose anything going across the numerous frozen slush bumps.

Thanks for the link Giddy UP. This is very helpful. I will stop at their new clubhouse and ask them how I can help out. Their trails are my back yard and they are great for midweek 1-2 hour rides with no traffic.

I am sure that the SMART club would welcome any volunteers to help them get their trails open and cleaned up!

Alot of stakes have fallen over from the thaw. I'm sure the smart club will welcome some fresh blood with open arms. It's very rewarding volunteering and you get to meet alot of great people doing it. Smart is a very busy club and provide excellent trails once the conditions are upto par. Don Martin is the person you'll want to talk too.

Archived