North Bay - Shining Tree - New Liskeard - North Bay Report

AkronOrange

5 of us just returned from the trip. Overall I would say the trail conditions were very good. Just use common sense when you go. We did travel across a couple of unstaked lakes. We did not go off the beaten path. We were not breaking trail on any water crossings. If you see some water beside the trail, there is a good chance that there will be a wash out before too long.

North Bay - Shining Tree: Some small wash outs here and there. There isn't too much snow for the clubs to work with. Other than missing the turn for C206D and needing to reroute and take club trail 83 back to get to the Sportsman it was a rather uneventful day. Left the Travelodge at about 10:00 arrived 3 Bears at about 5:30. 203 miles. Spent an hour at the Sportsman. Had a nice stay at 3 Bears. The food is still good, the beds still suck. Cindy is gone but there is a new girl, Kelly, she's great, kind of like Cindy no BS but a great hostess. No gas at 3 Bears, 3km down the road there is gas. 1.20/liter.

Shining Tree - New Liskeard: Shining Tree trails are not signed too well. Grassy Lake trail is closed but you still need to take it to get to C106A. It is a plowed road now for about 5km. C106A come in on the right, it is not marked at all, not as you enter it, and no signs on it. We weren't sure we were on it until we left the Shining Tree trail plan and entered the next. Stopped in Matachewan for lunch and fuel, hadn't been there in about 5 years. Hasn't changed. Headed off to New Liskeard, the fields coming in were in excellent condition, I think we might have exceeded the 50km/hr rate a couple of times. The Quality Inn is in Dymond, not New Liskeard, that'll save you some time. There is not a Quality Inn sign at the A107Q trail head off A trail on the river. Left 3 Bears at about 10:00 arrived Quality Inn about 4:00. Had time to run into the LCBO in New Liskeard and get a case of Blue before dinner.

New Liskeard - North Bay (Today): Got up a bit early (7:00). We knew that we had to ride 150 miles and then get into the trucks for the 6 hour ride home. Headed south on "A" trail, conditions were good for the most part. Around Latchford the snow was very thin and occasionally you would see rocks and branches. The Temagami needs more snow. They have done all they can with what they have. Left New Liskeard at about 9:00 arrived in North Bay at 2:00.

We had 5 riders all of us had a good time. Spent a bunch of $$$ but that's why we do this. I have planned this trip for the past 3 years the last 2 we have not been able to ride because of insufficient snow. The trails were not absolute premium but we had a great time. I recommend that everyone get out there.

Get out there and ride,

AO

A.O. glad you guys had a good time. Too bad you picked the 106 from Shining tree and not the A107c . I got out and groomed it before I left for the weekend just for you guys ... well maybe not just for you guys.lol.

We are having trouble getting help signing in the Matachewan area so last plan before I left was for 1 or two guys from our area to go and get the 106 signed this week. Heading back home from TO this morning supposed to be snowing when we get back and then maybe turn to rain... I hope not!!!

Ron

Sorry GLC, but as I seem to be the amateur photographer for our group, I was having way to much fun riding and didn't take the camera out much. :lol:

Archived