Questions about new A103 loop -Smooth Rock to Abitibi Canyon

Mick60

Can anyone tell me about the new A103 loop? Is the trail as straight as the maps are showing?

Is there any chance for off-trail riding?

What about current snow conditions? I hear the rains didn't get this far north?

Will be riding this trail and up into the Canyon during the week of February 3rd.

Yes , the A103 from Smoothrock is a very straight, flat, wide powerline corrridor. Lotsa room to play .

Cannot tell you what conditions will be in two weeks but there's lotsa snow right now.

2 to 3 ft of powder snow on the flatlands and 3 to5 ft in the canyons.

Trail is not groomed as of last weekend . They started grooming from Cochrane but the groomer blew an engine .

ontflatlander

Terry, I checked the Mapsource Topo software & it's fairly flat. Not like up past the dam. Just tell the boys to watch out for the stumps :o

I saw a rock on TOP A west of Kirkland Lake that someone pancaked on a power line.

Anyone have the mileages from Cochrane to the canyon on the east side and back on the west? Where does the west side connect back into the Top A - how far from Cochrane or SRF?

Done this a couple times up and back - will be a nice change to have an alternate route that is an official trail ( I know the locals used to run the west side in prior years but I never tried it ).

Thanks!

Anyone have the mileages from Cochrane to the canyon on the east side and back on the west? Where does the west side connect back into the Top A - how far from Cochrane or SRF?

Done this a couple times up and back - will be a nice change to have an alternate route that is an official trail ( I know the locals used to run the west side in prior years but I never tried it ).

Thanks!

Hey 700 Ren.

I was up there last weekrnd -40 !!! This is apprx. what I figured,

From Cochrane to Canyon 150 Km.

From SRF to Canyon 90 Km { then apprx 80 km from SRF back to Cochrane }

A103 West side is power line south for 70 Km then turns west off power line for 20 Km into SRF and A trail. {and gas }

Trailer is open at Canyon for snacks and gas. A103 Trail is NOT groomed at this time .

Have a good one,

ontflatlander

Ok, so if I understand this right the loop starting at Cochrane and ending right in Smooth Rock is a total of 240 km or so, gas pump to gas pump?

I know they have fuel at the trailer at the canyon, but I don't like planning a loop like that which depends on the presence of a guy who just might have decided to go AWOL that day. 240 km ( 150 miles ) is pretty bulletproof w/ an SDI and jerry can.

Rule #1 in northern Ontario and Quebec is making sure you have ample fuel.

Ok, so if I understand this right the loop starting at Cochrane and ending right in Smooth Rock is a total of 240 km or so, gas pump to gas pump?

I know they have fuel at the trailer at the canyon, but I don't like planning a loop like that which depends on the presence of a guy who just might have decided to go AWOL that day. 240 km ( 150 miles ) is pretty bulletproof w/ an SDI and jerry can.

Rule #1 in northern Ontario and Quebec is making sure you have ample fuel.

Yes , 240 km. cochrane > canyon > SRF . I was told that someone would be at trailer 24/7 for season , but I know what you mean about fuel .

Have a good one ,

ontflatlander

Archived