Charging Battery on SkiDoo

DooGTXFan

In the 2009 manual it says 2Amps.

perhaps on the larger newer batteries it is permissible . On the older batteries it will kill them . Over all more batteries are damaged by overcharging than any other cause.

I did a Google search on charging a Skidoo Battery, just to see if i could find any more info, and this post comes out on TOP.

Hey We're number 1 :D

Geez now LMV/NBS has to get a new helmet :lol:

There aren't that many Square Helmets manufactured these days. :P :P :P

I did a Google search on charging a Skidoo Battery, just to see if i could find any more info, and this post comes out on TOP.

Hey We're number 1 :D

Geez now LMV/NBS has to get a new helmet :lol:

There aren't that many Square Helmets manufactured these days. :P :P :P

No respect! No respect, I tell you! :D

Any ski-doo/sea-doo battery can be charged at 2 Amps. They just don't recomend leaveing it on the charger for more than 10 hrs. ski-doo used the same wet battery from the early 80's up to the 2000's.

Actally even a 1974 tnt 340 used the Y-50-N18L-A battery . I have new Yuasa batteries in stock (the battery supplier for BrP ) So i took the owners manual out of the box for the battery . It recommends strongly against a 2 amp charge instead looking for a 1 amp charge depending on the state of the battery.. I then opened the battery case for the newer BrP battery and read it . The manual and the sticker on the battery contradict each other :wtf: They want you to test voltage and charge as follows

12.8-13 volts do not charge

12.5-12.8 volts 3-6 hrs charge

12.0-12.5 volts 5-11 hrs charge

11.5 - 12 volts 13 hrs and verify state of charge

11.5 volts or less 20 hrs of charge

And it states in bold print and underlined

"Overcharging can harm your battery beyond recovery"

It also states to refer to the manual for the charger.

Well it looks like this battery charge has caused a dilemma.

The easiest way for me is to let it run to recharge the sleds own charging system do the job and I won;t have to worry about 1/2 amp, 1 amp or 2 amps.

So anyone know how long I should leave the sled running to get a good charge? It was almost dead on saturday but had pleny of juice to start it on Sunday,

Maybe I should by a voltmeter and check it?

Well it looks like this battery charge has caused a dilemma.

The easiest way for me is to let it run to recharge the sleds own charging system do the job and I won;t have to worry about 1/2 amp, 1 amp or 2 amps.

So anyone know how long I should leave the sled running to get a good charge? It was almost dead on saturday but had pleny of juice to start it on Sunday,

Maybe I should by a voltmeter and check it?

Still overall the best charging method (other than going riding is the "battery tender jr " by deltran . It will automatically give the battery what it needs without overcharging it . They are available for less than $40.00 and are reliable. We have sold them for years now with no issues.

Yoe can charge with a 2 amp charger, but you must baby sit it, dont over charge, dont let the battery get hot or even warm. I wouldn't leave a 2 amp on for more then a couple of hours ata time

• 8 years later...

just bought a 2016 mxz sport and friend picked it up for me anybody know where the electric start switch is located. I see a yellow button on the dash with a s on it , is this the start button?

Archived