Apsley - Gooderham - Twin Mtns Report

revrnd

I did a 124 mile loop from Apsley towards Bobcaygeon today.

Paudash

609 (McQuigge Trl): good other than the "no man's land" in the middle that is never groomed. Saw a beaver on the trail south of the "Tin Camp".

E108: was good west to the BDSC Jct., there I met several sleds & the trail was chewed up west of there from their antics.

Buckhorn District:

503: Solid track across Mississauga and Cold lakes, but not staked. The portage between the 2 lakes was snow covered. The trail was groomed on Thursday & good between Cold & the Ans' Marina turn. Then I followed tracks from some idgits that had chewed up the trail out to E107, OK condition.

509: The bridge over Salerno Creek is closed so there is a 10 klick detour. Almost 6 klicks are shoulder running on Hwy. 507. I'm not familiar w/ the area, but would it be possible to use the Salmon & Fortescue lake roads as an alternative? I've attached a GPS file.

Twin Mountains:

E108, 400, 420, 460, 465, 490, 495 and 496 all recently groomed. A little bit of logging on E108 west of 400 and on 460 east of Bass Lake.

Attached File(s)

BDSC509Detour.zip

thanks for the report, I'll be out in twin mountains Sunday

:D Spent weekend in Twin Mountain, Padash,and OHSR areas. Went from Madoc to south end of Pigeon. Great ride went up through Cohill,Lunch in Apsley then over to Bobcagen. Took a bit under 4 hours. Trails were great both Sat and Sunday. Overall 9 out of 10.

Boys said we passed Reverend standing on trail talking near Apsley Sat. I would have stopped to say HI but didnt recognize him.

What a great winter.

Boys said we passed Reverend standing on trail talking near Apsley Sat. I would have stopped to say HI but didnt recognize him.

What a great winter.

I think I was giving 3 guys some directions into Apsley.

BTW, Jerry, to hit "our" trail into the village, cross 28 from the Pheasant & follow our tracks. When you come to the main street, take a right to get to the Shell.

• 2 weeks later...

The only restaurant is @ the Sandman Motel. It's trail accessible. They don't have a sign out on the E107 trail, but it's about a mile north of Tuckers Marine or a mile south of where the Pheasant (closed) is.

The only restaurant is @ the Sandman Motel. It's trail accessible. They don't have a sign out on the E107 trail, but it's about a mile north of Tuckers Marine or a mile south of where the Pheasant (closed) is.

The Fox and Hound can be reached by trail or lake

The Fox and Hound can be reached by trail or lake

On Paudash Lake.

If the lake is safe, run it from the trail (south of the place). I'm not crazy about how the Mad Trapper trail just dumps you out on the side of the highway.

I'd like to try the Sandman, if I'm coming down E107 from Coe Hill I recall the trail crosses the road right at a Boat Dealer, would I just continue down the shoulder of the road to the Sandman?

Sandman is before Tucker Marine (just before) when southbound. Small trail on left from E107 leads straight to them.

But ... if coming from Coe Hill forget the Sandman and chow down at the Hideaway in Coe Hill. Cheap no ... good oh ya ! Trail goes thru parking lot (Coe Hill gas trail on map as 930 out the back of the gas station).

Coe Hill Country kitchen in middle of town is inexpensive and good food, most locals eat there (me2). Not marked well from trail and if roads are nasty its a scrape.

I rode the Paudash on Saturday, put in at the Sandman and headed north. Rode up to the Peterson and across to Miskwabi and down to Wilberforce. South to Tory Hill, the trail is rerouted to get on the Hadlington but its just a short bit of road rashing and then its good all the way south to E108. All the trails where excellent shape and seen next to no traffic until we got onto E108 towards the clubhouse. Every cowboy and wannabe snowcrosser was out and everyone one of them on my side of the trail. Anyhow we made it to the clubhouse to checkout the bbq. It was very well attended and it was great to see some old friends. We headed back up to E108 and headed over to the Mcquigge trail like mentioned earlier it was also in great shape and the no-mans land in the middle is only because of a couple of marshes that they can't groom over so they groom from both ends leaving a couple of hundred yard stretch in the middle that just lets you know how lucky we are to have groomed trails.

When we got back to Apsley it was to early to call it a day so we went south on E107 toward Stoney Lake. Am I ever glad we did, its been a long time since I was down that way and they improved this trail alot. We rode all the way to Stoney and refueled and doubled back.

So at the end of the day I can say all the trails we rode were in excellent shape with lots of snow and am I ever glad we decided to go because I would have been kicking my butt if I had missed that ride.

Kingpin, I rode quite a bit last winter on the SLSR trails. I think along of the BM wannabes ignore it & trailer to Aplsey.

Also, there always appears to be heavy eastbound traffic on the E108 coming from the 5 points area.. I met a bunch a couple of Sundays ago @ the Paudash/Buckhorn junction. Ran than stop 1 behind the other, this group of 8 or so riders had to spread out all over the place.

i rode solo up to the bbq saturday and I started from fenlon falls which was very busy with there family fun run all i took e108 up to the north junction loom lake salmon burn trails up to good pen which then i hooked up th e-108 to E to the clubhouse no traffic in twin mountain country and the trails were decent the buckhorn trail were the best i seen them in a long time but the closer i ventured to ptb country there was many people on the wrong side of the trail had 3 very close calls on the trail, one person even came about 2 inches from my ski and i was pulled over on the side of the trail to let them pass.

at the bbq noticed i had a broken transfer rod which was destroying my new track, so chris mcintyre let me use the groomer shed to get me mobile again Thanks ptb

but the closer i ventured to ptb country there was many people on the wrong side of the trail had 3 very close calls on the trail, one person even came about 2 inches from my ski and i was pulled over on the side of the trail to let them pass.

And people wonder why the 4 of us head up to northern Ontario for a week of riding each winter.

Archived