HALIBURTON RAILBED TRAIL ALERT!

revrnd

We rode up the railbed from Lindsay to Haliburton on Tuesday. Trail was in great shape.

Beware of a clown landowner around Lochlin between km 11 & 12 markers that has plowed large banks ( 2 or so feet high) on either side of his driveway across the trail. There was no attempt to push the plowed snow off the trail. When I got home I called & left a message w/ the HCSA. Not a issue when the visibility is good, but I'd hate to hit it @ night or when it was snowing.

I imagine the HCSA would get sued if someone hit this barrier & got hurt or killed.

I hope they get that sorted out ASAP! That could kill somebody. I hope that whomever did that was just not thinking or was not aware of how dangerous that is!!! :angry:

If that was done on purpose then that is a whole different story! :curse:

Yes they probably would get sued but likely also in the suit would be the landowner/plow operator who would likely be found at fault for having created the hazard. More inportant is the effect of your warning . Your warning in itself may prevent injury or worse to someone. I once called the police on a landowner that was creating a hazard . After they gave him an eduction on the criminal implications of creating a hazard he never caused a problem again . Indeed after emotions wore down he became very helpful. It all confuses me why anyone would want to harm another just to prove a point.

Yes they probably would get sued but likely also in the suit would be the landowner/plow operator who would likely be found at fault for having created the hazard. More inportant is the effect of your warning . Your warning in itself may prevent injury or worse to someone. I once called the police on a landowner that was creating a hazard . After they gave him an eduction on the criminal implications of creating a hazard he never caused a problem again . Indeed after emotions wore down he became very helpful. It all confuses me why anyone would want to harm another just to prove a point.

Some people are just A-Holes. They take keen delight in seeing somebody suffer, lose something, get hurt, or ruin something.

I once called the police on a landowner that was creating a hazard . After they gave him an eduction on the criminal implications of creating a hazard he never caused a problem again.

With the number of OPP (I presume) that cruise along that trail, I don't think it will take long for this guy to get the message.

Thanks for the warning. That section has been in that condition for almost 2 weeks now, that I know of. It is brutal when you don't see it. Not so bad if you have good visuals and aren't riding at warp speed. But this section is wide open and has great forward visuals, inviting throttle fun....

The condition is 2 driveways within 20 feet or so of one another and both driveways (as of Saturday, 10 Jan 09) had large 1-2 ft tall snow berms plowed onto either side.

It make one hell of a speed bump (or would that be 4 speed bumps?).

When heading north, look for the the field of blue 'tents', slow down for a while. You'll be fine.

When heading south, look for the cement factory, slow down fo awhile.

Feel free to comment and tighten the parameters if you know of better markers.

I once called the police on a landowner that was creating a hazard . After they gave him an eduction on the criminal implications of creating a hazard he never caused a problem again.

With the number of OPP (I presume) that cruise along that trail, I don't think it will take long for this guy to get the message.

It usually takes a complaint from the club to get them to visit the landowner.

It usually takes a complaint from the club to get them to visit the landowner.

Yeah....the usual OPP excuse is "we don't have those resources"....like when my 9.9 was ripped off this past Summer..the party line was "we simply have no resources to deal with that"...is that a free ticket to do what you want?

it was like that 3 weeks ago when i was up there as well.

I sled in the area regular and if its the spot I think it is then the only hazard is if you don't stop for the stop sign where there is two houses(two families) living. If you can't sled over a 2 or 3ft high bump you better stay home, and if your two stupid to stop then to bad. I would hate for anyone to get hurt but people live there and obviously alot of retards don't stop. Maybe the club can put up an extra warning sign.JMO

If you don't really know that area all too well, then those two stops can really sneak up on you fast.

There are residences along there that have no stop signs also. Then there are stops every 100' or so. There is no need to deposit the snow like that and it is plainly not the way to deter people who don't stop either.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a beauty.....

There was a special meeting held in Haliburton this week to review the five year plan for the rail trail corridor. TOP B as we know it. The meeting was open to all residents and stakeholders etc. Now we all know that this is a major snowmobile link and the ATV club has done a large volume of work on this trail. New bridges, garbage removal and even hauling off an abandoned motor home that was back in there along the trail. There are snowshoers, cross country skiiers and equestrian users and cyclists. I understand that it is a multi use trail. I get that. Great in fact. However one of the loudest bigmouth's were the cycling coalition who feel that there should be no powersports allowed on the trail, and that they (Township) should pave it so that cyclists can use it beyond that of mountain biking! The nerve. This group has shed not a dime on any of the owrk projects along this trail, they have not supplied manpower during clean ups and in fact are pretty much a menace along the other roads that they do use. I am a cyclist also and enjoy the various routes around the county. I however ride responsibly and do not ride four a breast down either Hwy 35, 121, county road 1 or other major route. Many do. Is this what this club advocates? Then there is the crap you find strewn along where these people ride. Old inner tubes, water bottles, powerbar wrappers. Now who is more responsible? How much money does these cyclists bring into the area? One of the motel owners has stated that his Fall and Winter and Spring business has tripled from the ATV groups and sledders that stay at his establishment. So hopefully the township will make the right choice and recognize the responsible stewardship of the HCSA and the HATVA and continue the use of the trail system. Let's see some dollars from the cyclists and horse riders!

the cyclists do the same at lindsay town councel meetings as well, don't see them out brushing trails just leaving there garbage behind and they tend to take up the entire road around me when out riding in groups

The next time I see a cyclist tossing a spent air cartridge and used inner tube onto the side of the road....I feel like tossing a used carbide at the back of his helmet. Of course, I would never doo that. Perhaps some shards of glass......

Archived