First ride .....Orillia

Kerry

Hey I finally had my first ride of the season.Didn't get a chance on the early snow and had to wait it out.Did the orillia trails between orillia and coldwater.Everything was good from orillia thru hawkestone to moonstone groomed but a little thin in some fields.From moonstone to coldwater was a bucking bronco till you got to just before it meets C trail to midland but not a long distance.From coldwater to orillia and across back towards hawkestone was probably the most recently groomed.It was a great first ride.

Thanks to the volunteers for a good job.Saw a lot of tree cutting in the forested areas.Obviously a lot of downed wood this year.

Also kinda like the detours around the farmers fields.Gives some extra miles and probably slows a few down too.Not to mention some new scenery as well!

Kerry

Hey I finally had my first ride of the season.Didn't get a chance on the early snow and had to wait it out.Did the orillia trails between orillia and coldwater.Everything was good from orillia thru hawkestone to moonstone groomed but a little thin in some fields.From moonstone to coldwater was a bucking bronco till you got to just before it meets C trail to midland but not a long distance.From coldwater to orillia and across back towards hawkestone was probably the most recently groomed. Kerry

Did the same route today...

Coldwater towards Orillia, then B Hawskestone and out to top of Horseshoe ski hill was great, then 'bucking bronco" to C.

Headed to Midland, lunch at Henry's then Bay to Honey Harbour.

Awesome day. The B trail in the Hawkestone / Orillia area was table flat, with wonderful vistas as you approach the ski hill and transit from Hwy 11 to Hwy 400 . Haven't done that route in a couple of years, but will do it again soon.

Hey I finally had my first ride of the season.Didn't get a chance on the early snow and had to wait it out.Did the orillia trails between orillia and coldwater.Everything was good from orillia thru hawkestone to moonstone groomed but a little thin in some fields.From moonstone to coldwater was a bucking bronco till you got to just before it meets C trail to midland but not a long distance.From coldwater to orillia and across back towards hawkestone was probably the most recently groomed. Kerry

Did the same route today...

Coldwater towards Orillia, then B Hawskestone and out to top of Horseshoe ski hill was great, then 'bucking bronco" to C.

Headed to Midland, lunch at Henry's then Bay to Honey Harbour.

Awesome day. The B trail in the Hawkestone / Orillia area was table flat, with wonderful vistas as you approach the ski hill and transit from Hwy 11 to Hwy 400 . Haven't done that route in a couple of years, but will do it again soon.

Good to hear about that area. No flies settling on Canuck this riding season!(old Newfoundland expression)

We've had a wonderful start to the season.

I highly recommend Haliburton Forest in late Dec or early Jan to 'get the kinks out'.

Parry Sound was blessed with tons of lake effect snow, and Seguin got a jump start.

The cold weather has kept the trails crisp, and the ice forming.

Fingers crossed.. looking forward to a safe and enjoyable season.

Have any of you been up through Swift Rapids and over to Gravenhurst. I talked to a guy while up in Swift rapids last night who said it was now grommed to 9 mile lake. I was only near the bottom end of SWR. I want to do a run to gravenhurst.

RR

Have any of you been up through Swift Rapids and over to Gravenhurst. I talked to a guy while up in Swift rapids last night who said it was now grommed to 9 mile lake. I was only near the bottom end of SWR. I want to do a run to gravenhurst.

RR

Not yet but trail 17 is listed as open and 14,15 and 16 are limited.

Here's a direct link to MSR trails

Canuck Said:I highly recommend Haliburton Forest in late Dec or early Jan to 'get the kinks out'.

I'd like to add that I highly recommend doing the poker run there in Feb.It's busy but a lot of fun.Only time they allow more than a 100 sleds in a day.Someone from Orillia won the sled last year.Skidoo GTX 550.Drew a Royal Flush,First time ever happened.

Kerry

I'm the same one. The ice in Kemp Bay is good. at least 8" . I had friend out in the mid lake (walking) and they said there was 8" every where they punched a hole. I'm comfortable running the Oro side up to the north end then hit the rail trail. People have now been out on most parts on Atv and sled. There was an Atv that went in at Big Bay pt. Things have really firmed up.

RR

Thanks RR,it was posted on FishOntario that there is between 3 and 10" by the 12 of Oro.Good Sleddin' and Fishin' to ya!Hope to do a lot of both myself this year.Conditions are shapin up good now.

Kerry

Hijackers :lol:

(I guess it's ok to hijack your own post :) )

As for Oro 12th, buddies of mine will likely be in the area most weekends. Ice fishing nuts :crazy:

If I drop by , and you see a blue Yamaha Attak, say hi.

Tried to keep it short and sweet!Be a week or so before I try out that way.

Kerry

Well I'm up to 190 miles and the trails are getting better by the day.Passed the groomer by the T at the 11th line around 4ish this aft.We just did the short loop for a little spin today.Took the wife out yesterday to coldwater for brunch and back.She was so happy,never got bounced once TABLETOP!!!! all the way 'round.The club's doing a great job.

Bought a used collet from a friend and gave it a workout today on our ride.Even heard the groomer's beacon.Can't say enough good about it.I'm impressed.Have to buy one for my wife now.

Kerry

Archived