C Trail into Go Home Lake?

J$

Why isn't there a trail at the top of C going into Go Home Lake, west of 400 Hwy?

I've been sledding out of Port Severn for 6 years. When Six Mile Lake is frozen and staked, there's no better way to go north fast! I can also zoom across Gibson Lake to Muskoka 38 and down Go Home Lake Rd into the lake to visit friends. But when the lake is unsafe, I'm stuck with C trail heading north through Six Mile Prov. Park. The trail goes north from Crooked Bay road on the west side of 400 Hwy across McCrae, then veers drastically southeast along the south side of Gibson Lake. No way to get into Go Home Lake??!!??

It seems it would be best to have the C trail continue north on the west side of 400 and connect back to the main C trail going -2- Parry Sound. I've never understood why C veers SE then through the Gibson Reserve towards Bala, then back West again to go north.

If the C trail went to Go Home Lake, I could quickly cross the lake, Galla Lake and out the north end to pick up trail 21 to C at Moon River Bridge. This seems so much better to me.

Looking at a map, C trail stops maybe 1 km short of Muskoka 38. What would it take to push the trail 1 km further north?

Some older sledders tell me there used to be a bushwhack trail up to the Muskoka 38 on the west side of 69/400. Has anybody heard of this route?

We're on Six Mile Lake, and use it extensively once the lake is 'safe'.

You’ve raised an interesting question and, as I once posted, if anyone 'local' is willing to show some routes in the Go Home Lake area, it sounds like a few of us are interested.

I note that some members of Baxter Trail Riders are meeting this Saturday January 10th at 10 am near HS Shell / Amoco in Port Severn (see this link to topic for details) for trail work.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3407&hilit=Baxter

I’m heading down to assist, and suggest that anyone else with questions about sledding in this area give a hand this weekend or any other time when your schedule permits.

As for answers to this thread, I am borrowing the map from the thread above (without C trail marked) to show others what the topic is about. Any assistance in ‘not proceeding North East” would be appreciated. It shows Hwy 38, but for some reason Six Mile Lake is not marked (at least it’s not ‘blue’ on my computer).

Why isn't there a trail at the top of C going into Go Home Lake, west of 400 Hwy?

I've been sledding out of Port Severn for 6 years. When Six Mile Lake is frozen and staked, there's no better way to go north fast! I can also zoom across Gibson Lake to Muskoka 38 and down Go Home Lake Rd into the lake to visit friends. But when the lake is unsafe, I'm stuck with C trail heading north through Six Mile Prov. Park. The trail goes north from Crooked Bay road on the west side of 400 Hwy across McCrae, then veers drastically southeast along the south side of Gibson Lake. No way to get into Go Home Lake??!!??

It seems it would be best to have the C trail continue north on the west side of 400 and connect back to the main C trail going -2- Parry Sound. I've never understood why C veers SE then through the Gibson Reserve towards Bala, then back West again to go north.

If the C trail went to Go Home Lake, I could quickly cross the lake, Galla Lake and out the north end to pick up trail 21 to C at Moon River Bridge. This seems so much better to me.

Looking at a map, C trail stops maybe 1 km short of Muskoka 38. What would it take to push the trail 1 km further north?

Some older sledders tell me there used to be a bushwhack trail up to the Muskoka 38 on the west side of 69/400. Has anybody heard of this route?

Hi there ,

I think I might have answered some of your questions I believe on our club forum about running the ice I could be wrong ?

Paul - Thanks

I agree the Musquash River is a barrier going north on the west side of 400 hwy and I'm not sure who owns the land. An cottager from Go Home Lake once told me there was a local trail cut through the woods from Go Home Lake south to the C trail. It was probably never an official trail and crossed private land.

I just bought a Garmin eTrex handheld GPS that I'm sure it will take all the fun out of getting lost on my sled! With it, I might take a little hike through the woods near the north end of the C trail, just to see how significant the Musquash River is. It's too early now, but does the Musquash freeze at the wider, non-flowing, parts?

Google maps (Satalite view) you can see the C trail cut through the woods, from the bridge at McDonald/McCrae going north. Google maps is amazing. It shows Heather Path Trail, which I believe is the actual C trail, as it goes east towards 400 hwy, then C hugs the west side of the 400 up to Muskoka 33 - Gibson S ramp, where you cross over and veer south again on C. What I see is a cottage/farm/building about 800' to the west of the 33/400 ramp and a laneway that connects to 'Global Tower Road'. Where it meets the 400, there's narrow crossing the Musquash. It's probably a chute or a waterfall, I'm guessing. Maybe not crossable? From there 500' west appears power lines or a clearing that takes you up to Go Home Lake Rd.

If anybody has bushwhacked this approach to Go Home, let me know.

Paul - Thanks

I agree the Musquash River is a barrier going north on the west side of 400 hwy and I'm not sure who owns the land. An cottager from Go Home Lake once told me there was a local trail cut through the woods from Go Home Lake south to the C trail. It was probably never an official trail and crossed private land.

I just bought a Garmin eTrex handheld GPS that I'm sure it will take all the fun out of getting lost on my sled! With it, I might take a little hike through the woods near the north end of the C trail, just to see how significant the Musquash River is. It's too early now, but does the Musquash freeze at the wider, non-flowing, parts?

Google maps (Satalite view) you can see the C trail cut through the woods, from the bridge at McDonald/McCrae going north. Google maps is amazing. It shows Heather Path Trail, which I believe is the actual C trail, as it goes east towards 400 hwy, then C hugs the west side of the 400 up to Muskoka 33 - Gibson S ramp, where you cross over and veer south again on C. What I see is a cottage/farm/building about 800' to the west of the 33/400 ramp and a laneway that connects to 'Global Tower Road'. Where it meets the 400, there's narrow crossing the Musquash. It's probably a chute or a waterfall, I'm guessing. Maybe not crossable? From there 500' west appears power lines or a clearing that takes you up to Go Home Lake Rd.

If anybody has bushwhacked this approach to Go Home, let me know.

I will bring this up with some of the older members of the club this weekend and will see what I find out .

Archived