Parry Sound rained out

xcsldr

Well after 24 hours of rain and a high of 11C most of the snow is gone. Trees are down everywhere. Power is out over a widespread area. 100km/hr winds this morning. Widespread flooding of creeks and low lying areas. Went from around 3 feet to basically nothing. Will take a some time before clubs can get out in this area, mind you we are practically at square one again.

that sucks. u realy have no snow left ?. thanks for the report.

Ummm not sure that it is quite as bad down this end .I just got home from being away for a couple of days and there is quite a bit of snow in the yard and bush here still (And a tree through the roof of my trailer :banghead::banghead: ) I will check it out tomorrow and post. I do know that there is no snow in the Uxbridge and Mount Albert areas.

I took a look at the bypass across McDougall road and there was hardly any snow on the hills beside the roadside. The low lying sections are flooded. The swamp where the groomer gets stuck just after the road section down the hill was completely open water.

Maybe the seguin will be ok shortly but I dont think many of the other trails will be ready anytime soon. I dont think many where even packed yet cause there was too much snow.

thanks for update

Sorry to hear about the north trail the trails down here have a decent base still except where they are submerged . We have had one of these torrential rain events every year :banghead: It always comes back . Oh well time to fix the sleds.

Same here in the Burks Falls area, we went from three to four feet of snow, shovelling out to get to the cottage door and now grass showing. :(

There is still some base on the trails that drove by today, with some good cold temps and more snow they should be good to go again, but likely not before we head home in a week! :banghead:

I took a look at the bypass across McDougall road and there was hardly any snow on the hills beside the roadside. The low lying sections are flooded. The swamp where the groomer gets stuck just after the road section down the hill was completely open water.

Maybe the seguin will be ok shortly but I dont think many of the other trails will be ready anytime soon. I dont think many where even packed yet cause there was too much snow.

Noticed the same thing north of hiway 124...lots of water running and pooling. Around my place about 1.5 feet of packed snow left. Thinking positively, water flooding the lakes has saturated fluffy snow that was insulating against ice freezing to safe thickness, so with cold temps on Thursday, lakes might freeze up quicker. There are bound to be quite a few wash outs, tree falls, etc. back in the woods.

Of course it will come back ..., this happens every year although the past few years the rainfalls have been huge during the "january thaw" . Hopefully its not the same as last year where we didnt have trails open till late january.

My son and his friend headed out on the D123 out of Burks Falls towards the Seguin yesterday to see if they could clear some trees.

They were able to cut up and move quite a few trees off the trails but were stopped on the Seguin but one very large tree that they were not able to do anything about so they headed home. All in all they said the trails were in pretty good shape. They came upon the Almaguin groomer out there clearing trees and filling in washouts. The clubs are working their butts off to get everything back in shape! More snow is what we need now.

I know it's late, but we will be up next weekend (January 9) and with three guys. We can head out with the chainsaw along the seguin and related trails to do some cleaning up.

Call the club pres. Jamie at 705-378-0200 Memories of Muskoka.

Archived