Cochrane to Moosonee VIA Abitibi Canyon

ZR1BANDIT

Any done this trip and how far is it one way ??? I Know you need a guide so can anybody give any ideas on who does a good job. Also want to know how many days to allow for round trip or maybe even head towards Hearst from Moosenee. So the plan now is Cochrane to Moosenee then on to Hearst from there then back down towards the Soo. Thanks for the help------------

I'm pretty sure it's 3 days.

1 Cochrane - Tozer's Camp

2 Tozer's Camp - Moosonee & return

3 Tozer's Camp - Cochrane or Smooth Rock Falls

Whether you'd want to try further west than SRF after a couple of days of possibly "advanced" riding is up to you.

Rod from Lillabelle could possibly answer any other questions.

We've only ridden a bit past the dam & watched the hillclimbers. Good going from Cochrane to the gas trailer. W/ the trail north being a bush trail obviously it's going to be slower.

Extreme Tours is probably who you want to go with. Never heard a bad thing from guys who've taken the trip.

Extreme Tours are the guys. Bill and his son do a great job. It is a great trip, we did it a few years back, it's not at all like typical trail riding. William is a great host at his camp. See if you can get a ride in his brothers bush plane if you go up.

Good Luck,

Bill from Extreme Tours is your best bet.Depending on which way you go from Cochrane is about 94 miles via the A103 to Fraserdale then about another 70 miles to Tozer's camp where you spend the first night then on to Moosonee the next day and back to the camp that night.You could probably make it to Hearst on your return day but it might be a long day.If you have any questions or need more info give me a call.

According to my mileage list:

Fraserdale - SRF 51 miles/82 klicks

SRF - Kap' 64 miles/103 klicks

SRF - Hearst 142 miles/229 klicks

There is the Moose Motel and Forget Me Not B & B in SRF. I think going to Kap would be doable & there are several places to stay in town.

Bill from Extreme Tours is your best bet.Depending on which way you go from Cochrane is about 94 miles via the A103 to Fraserdale then about another 70 miles to Tozer's camp where you spend the first night then on to Moosonee the next day and back to the camp that night.You could probably make it to Hearst on your return day but it might be a long day.If you have any questions or need more info give me a call.

It would be a long day, but it's probably doable. The run from Cochrane to Hearst is fast. If Hearst is too far, you could stop in Kap.

You don't have to run back to Cochrane to go west to Kap & Hearst. Last year the trail was groomed from Fraserdale to SRF. That's why I gave those mileages.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived