Mattice Sno-Devils Trail Change -- NEW

Techdenis007

Yesterday when driving towards Kap I spotted the Mattice groomer heading West along the side of the highway, drag in tow and grooming in the ditch between the power line and the road.  This was about 1km from the Reesor Monument.  I thought he was having a mechanical issue and was just picking an easy way to extricate the machine.  Didn't think much about it until coming home.  I made a point of looking along the highway, low and behold there was signage all the way along at every driveway and entrance.  I had lost sight of the trail when I got near the TCPL compressor station, as I was passing a couple of transports.  Once back in line I saw the trail had disappeared.  Looking at the trail maps this morning earlier I hadn't seen any change.  I just looked again, and bingo, the new route is on the ITG.  So now we'll run some 7 or 8 km's of trail next to the highway instead of the swampy section of trail North of Reesor.  

1322296546_Matticetrailchange.thumb.JPG.050f0e0afdb9177e5506fd9c7ca6fe45.JPG

The previous route followed the red dotted line. About half way across the horizontal stretch you see a road running North / South.  Just to the East of that intersection on the trail there are 3 or 4 off-grid cabins / homes and the road is plowed from the highway to those cabins.  Some of you may remember seeing those camps, one is very nice with a fence and very nice property. 

Anyway, at this point I'm not aware as to why this change was made ... was it the swamps, the camps, possibly logging in the area, who knows.  I remember though that someone mentioned to me a couple of years ago that the OFSC would not be allowing any new trails running parallel to highways, reasons for which I don't know.  This new route would be in violation of that protocol, but clearly was permitted to happen as it's on the ITG and signed accordingly.

Is there anyone in the know that can add some valuable information regarding OFSC policy as I've mentioned above ?

It's not the Corridor's mandate to provide details to riders on every change to trail routing.

This re-route is due to active logging operations and has been coordinated with all stakeholders, and was determined to be the safest way to reduce risks to riders and logging equipment operators.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you. 

Edited by Techdenis007

On 12/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, Techdenis007 said:

You just contradicted yourself, you do realize ....  you're a club volunteer and just divulged info regarding a trail change ...